• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: One Piece DVD Season 4 Part 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Well I have to hand it to you carl, I agree almost 102%.(which I suppose you can round to 100)

While I am still a fan of shounen for the fun nature it can have, I have learned a few things over the years, and one of the biggest things is that if it's a shonen, you read the manga and ignore the anime in its entirty. While that Idea alone could have me ranting on for an hour, the main part is that after being spoiled by dozens of seasonal anime whose episodes feel like theres a very clear sense of movement it is a tad bit jarring to go back into something like one piece for which the pacing, in comparison especially, can feel like molasses.

At the very least though, that molasses is kind of sweet and while I could almost feel the anime staff strech out the material out as far as they could right before it begun to tear, watching it was still very fun, ESPECIALLY with Sniperking (Begins a blueprint for Sonny's pedistool). While I don't really like talking about One Piece all the time due to how...erm...annoying it can be at times whenever I watch the show or read the manga I always have that satasfying feeling that this is definetly my kind of series.

One other thing I want to comment on is franky's voice. While he's certinanly not Kazuki Yao, I'm perfectly ok with Sietz's Franky. Something I've learned from Sgt. Frog is that if the voices don't match the Japanese's they can at least breathe their own life into the character they're playing to give a good proformance and for me this voice is doing that, it's really grown on me.spoiler[I'll be looking forward to see who they get for brook!]

Last edited by Thatguy3331 on Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely hated the Sanji vs. Wanze fight when I first saw it in Japanese. Josh Grelle pulled off a miracle with his performance and I was legitimately enjoying every line that he had. This was the first time that a dub has completely 180'd me.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Mr Sinister wrote:
I absolutely hated the Sanji vs. Wanze fight when I first saw it in Japanese. Josh Grelle pulled off a miracle with his performance and I was legitimately enjoying every line that he had. This was the first time that a dub has completely 180'd me.

People have seen saying that when it comes to the Funi and former ADV VAs. glad your able too see that now.

Though this set it right now a holding note at least until the start of Enies Lobby takes place. especially the rematch between straw hat and rob lucci.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ajr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Sounds about right, overall. Sogeking FTW!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1