• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hayate the Combat Butler! Cuties (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

It was good, but it bothered me a little. I am going to hate myself for saying this but it was just done so much better in the manga, please don't hate me. The manga had the match happen when overseas, actually soon after the story where Hayate accidentally goes back in time when trying to save Nagi's hat which was shown out of order in the first anime season. In the manga (slight manga spoilers for volume 21, but probably puts the events in a way easier understood) spoiler[they had just put in rules of how Nagi could lose the fortune, Gilbert showed up trying use this match to win (being rather cheap). Though Hinagiku did not know what was at stake only just walking back to the group and thus was unknowingly throwing Nagi's fortune away just to look cute.] The way it was this episode just felt a little off.

Being more positive and looking at the episode as its own work, it was good to see Hinagiku get some focus, she is easily the most popular characters, funny coincidence in that Volume 21 also has the results of the popularity contest that Nagi shrugged off as a nightmare in season 2 (she was bellow Maria and Hina). It is funny that they all forgot who Gilbert is (Sakuya's half brother), although his stereotypical foreigner persona gets annoying. And hearing Hina and Nagi pissed off like this was kind of why I was happy to see this story.
DKL

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:42 am Reply with quote
I feel like I went into a coma due to moe overload during episode 5.

I'm trying to recover and pick my favorite scene to talk about, but it's all a blur now.

I don't ever remember being a big Hina fan up until the episodes centering around her during the last two seasons.

That said, Maria is my favorite waifu from the series and I wish she would get her own episode too...
mad mac

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I like the trio. They never deliver a boring episode or chapter. Smile

Oh and Ruka next week, doing that story. This is going to be good...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

I have a soft spot for Izumi, she might be my favourite, so I was happy with this week. Them trying to figure out why Izumi is treated differently was probably quire accurate in regards to her being written. Even her being popular was probably references to the popularity poll that put Izumi at 6th place while Miki and Risa got 18th and21st place respectively.
DKL

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:14 am Reply with quote
Talks about alleged panty shots as reasons for popularity.

Does not actually show panty shots.

Also, the camera thing was kinda amusing, but I'm not sure why exactly spoiler[Hayata (lol) ended up taking the SD card... was it specifically to spare Izumi from embarrassment?]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote
Well they do kind of have a past, according to her brother she will end up as his sister in law. Actually it is kind of odd to reference him but not show him, there is a particular funny moment where Hayate tries to actually kill him.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote
the idiot trio is boring, so i didn't really like this episode all the much.
mad mac

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in seeing how anime only watchers react to this one. Not just for Ruka, but because spoiler[ This side of Hayate doesn't come out as often as it should.]

I like Ruka as a character, mostly for reasons that have nothing to do with being an idol, but this episode didn't touch on those too much. It's a decent introduction even so, I suppose.

It's always weird when this season tries to wrestle plot stories into one offs and changes characters around in the process, though. Hina was playing Nagi's role in the original version of this story (The second half) which is just odd.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

An episode where Hayate spoiler[was mean and gets away with it], it is obviously the best side of Hayate. Well, that and spoiler[cross-dressing] Hayate, which we also got, extra points in that he was spoiler[recognised by a girls who were not bothered, and Maria was being her usual big fan of trap Hayate].

But the big character of the episode was Ruka, a character I am only familiar with from the anime in small amounts, largely from singing songs, and occasional small appearances. As a whole I would probably say that I have not seen enough to judge her character, but here she had a rather nice relationship with Hayate, that he seems to respect her, but he is still relax enough to do what he did. That one scene where they are running around seems like one of the laxest I have seen him. He also saw spoiler[her breasts, but she was dedicated enough to her performance to not care].

And that connecting theatre. Hayate's kind option spoiler[seemed just as cruel]. Laughing

mad mac wrote:
It's always weird when this season tries to wrestle plot stories into one offs and changes characters around in the process, though. Hina was playing Nagi's role in the original version of this story (The second half) which is just odd.

My theory would be that they wanted to cater to the audience and put in Hina because she is more popular and would not have been in instead. She also fits in with the three idiots, well Nagi does fit in with them in certain ways, but usually only exclusive in falling down to their level.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote
I'm still confused about the movement between the apartment building and Nagi's mansion. Have we not seen them at the mansion this series, or am I simply remembering incorrectly?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm still confused about the movement between the apartment building and Nagi's mansion. Have we not seen them at the mansion this series, or am I simply remembering incorrectly?

Their excuse was that Nagi is more motivated in the apartment building, perhaps she actually enjoys the company of her friends in a smaller complex.
mad mac

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
My theory would be that they wanted to cater to the audience and put in Hina because she is more popular and would not have been in instead. She also fits in with the three idiots, well Nagi does fit in with them in certain ways, but usually only exclusive in falling down to their level.

The trio wasn't there originally either, it was just Nagi and Chiharu. It's uh...hard to explain, the second half was a really mangled version of a plot important story. It's actually part of the story of how Hayate and Nagi met Ruka for the first time! spoiler[Nagi's relationship with Ruka and her first impression of her from that concert is a pretty crucial bit of character development for both of them.] So yeah, kinda weird.

Hayate and Ruka get along because they both have a lot in common. They're both workaholic perfectionists with a tragic past. Ruka's also fun because she's extremely confident and straightforward compared to most of the characters.

She's also got a very strong friend/rivalry thing going on with Nagi that the anime is glossing over for whatever reason.

Quote:

It's just Manglobe mucking around with the manga order, adapting chapters from when Nagi lived in the apartment building with everyone and pretending it all takes place after she moves back to the mansion. (Actually hasn't happened in the manga yet.) The excuse is that Nagi goes over there to hang out, but there's really no point of trying to make sense of events the way they're presented.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:41 am Reply with quote
Thanks, guys. I really should read the manga one of these days.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:24 pm Reply with quote
so Maria fangirls over Hayate when he spoiler[is crossdressing?]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's something that goes back to the first season of the anime. Maria is always trying to get Hayate to trap himself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6