• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Mostly Harmless Dirty Old Men

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Happosai is anything but harmless after all the stunts he pulls on poor Ranma, both his male half and female half.

If anything of who else is missing from the list that I would consider harmless is Kyosuke Kasuga's grandpa from Kimagure Orange Road, also both Tenchi Masaki's grandpa and father, Katsuhito and Nobuyuki Masaki from the Tenchi Muyo! OVA.

spoiler[Of course I'm only thinking in terms of their perversity LOL, even though Kyosuke's grandpa is an esper and Katsuhito being the powerful Juraian warrior prince, Yosho.]
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Kinda surprised the Baratie is only number 4. The food there is proooobably pretty awesome, and the scenery? Whoa. Yeah.

Also the poll was hard, between Maoyu's Demon King and Yuuri Shibuya. Went with Demon King though because Maoyu is so great. Also Yuuri isn't nearly as competent as Demon King, and one of the least interesting KKM characters.
Quark

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
For some reason I never considered Mr. Cat to be a pervert, but that might have been because he was cute and funny. I always got a kick out of how flustered and sweaty he'd get after telling the girls that they would have to marry him.
Mr. Kimura definitely should have been on the list. I mean, he inspired this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRohQL1wrC0 after all.
As for Happosai...ugh. I stopped watching Ranma 1/2 shortly after they introduced him into the show. Everything about him made me angry, especially the way he'd manipulate people by crying. Killing him off in a brutal fashion would have improved Ranma 1/2 greatly.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
I'd definitely say Happosai was Mostly Dangerous, not harmless.
I gave my demon king vote to Yuri because out of all the listed shows, Kyo Kara Maoh is my favorite and he'll be a "Good" king.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:48 am Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

Mr. Kimura definitely should have been on the list. I mean, he inspired this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRohQL1wrC0 after all.

The oft-used words of wisdom:
best thing about high school girls, man - you get older but they stay the saaaaame age. Laughing
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:20 am Reply with quote
For ruling Demon King, my first choice before seeing the poll was Demon King Piccolo but for some reason, he didn't make the cut. Even with a name like Demon King Piccolo. {Ok, maybe I'm just too much of a fan of Quatermass and the Pit}

Come on, he spits out his own minions, how cool/gross/convenient is that?

So I had to pick Sadao as he's the King Demon of Demon Kings. And a nice guy to boot. I mean, yeah, if I get to pick which Demon Lord would rule over me.

Mostly Harmless Dirty Old Men? The List seems to be a cross between Perverted Masters Who Seem Harmless and Dirty Old Guys Who Are Mostly Harmless. In Roshi's second appearance, he Hulked out and destroyed a mountain so there's really nothing "mostly harmless" about him.

Definitely qualifies for the "dirty" part though. Only pervert in the universe disappointed by a mermaid because, you know...
aurorajackson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
I was astounded that Naruto's Jiraya didn't make the list! I mean, yeah, he will actually peek, but he is the dirtiest old man out there!!! He even wrote ecchi novels!

Unless he wouldn't be considered harmless? But I think that would be a stretch when you have Kensei on the list - I would say their threat levels are pretty equal.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
Tough choices in the poll this week! I'll be curious to see if recency wins...
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3