• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Guu Guu Dolls

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If I had thought that watching the series reminded me of watching Top Gun—well, watching the old school OVA is like being transported to that bar where Goose busts out on the piano.

So it's basically homoerotic? Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
BD, you really put in a good word from Tenjo Tenge to Grappler Baki. I was laughing especially at Negima and you have revived my interest in this series.
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I can't handle a show like Baki when just seeing the DVD case in Best Buy scares me so.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I was quite surprised to see Negima in the trash pile. I would've guessed a rental. Granted I've only seen 1 episode earlier this year at a con & it was episode 3, so I didn't really understand alot. It was very funny,though. Especially the white ferret-like character!

I have one question for you Bamboo(or anyone else who may know). Will the box in the limited edition version house all the DVDs or is it just a box that contains the extra goodies?

Great column as always!
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Soo...

Is Negima a hot property around this time or something? Razz

Funny review indeed. It's the Akamatsu; you gotta admit nobody does harem like him.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
Whearn9999 wrote:
Wow. I was quite surprised to see Negima in the trash pile. I would've guessed a rental. Granted I've only seen 1 episode earlier this year at a con & it was episode 3, so I didn't really understand alot. It was very funny,though. Especially the white ferret-like character!

I have one question for you Bamboo(or anyone else who may know). Will the box in the limited edition version house all the DVDs or is it just a box that contains the extra goodies?

Great column as always!

The 1st Limited Edition comes with an artbox that houses not only the goodies, but also the rest of the series. The box itself is really nice-- thick, and has a magnetic closure.

I personally have not had good experiences with ferrets in anime. They almost always end up being really irritating, and the one in Popotan made me want to roast it on a spit.

Thanks for your input, everyone!
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:27 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, Bamboo. Back when Samurai 7 was first released, there was both a regular version and a limited edition "box". I naturally pre-ordered the box version. Much to my surprise, the box wasn't for the subsequent volumes, only some extras. Since then, I've been more careful.

Area 88 kinda just slipped by. I watched a few eps on TAN & I thought they were pretty good. Very detailed regarding the planes. I just might have to give it a second look.
RabbitRevolution

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:40 am Reply with quote
I agree, "Eternal Flower" is gorgeous. Too bad the Yoko Ishida concert DVD sounds so bad (did her dancers do para para during "Eternal Flower" as well? Ewww. Confused )

Mmmm, the review of Last Quarter really makes me want to see it now.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:54 am Reply with quote
I definitelt have to agree about the dub. I was pretty bored with the show when I watched in Japanese a while back, but I found myself enjoying it a lot more this time around and in English. Negi is a bit spotty but Asuna, Konoka and Nodoka are so dead its scary.

Here's hoping the dub keep one upping the original in volumes to follow.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:30 am Reply with quote
That Negima! review was funny. And after the Hey Answerman! thread, the first thing that came to mind after seeing spoiler[that shot of Asuna's panties in ep. 1 (Newtype disc) was "Hey, it's Pedo Bear!".] Laughing
Raoh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:01 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

The 1st Limited Edition comes with an artbox that houses not only the goodies, but also the rest of the series. The box itself is really nice-- thick, and has a magnetic closure.

I personally have not had good experiences with ferrets in anime. They almost always end up being really irritating, and the one in Popotan made me want to roast it on a spit.

Even though he looks like a Ferret, he's a Stoat (Another name for an Ermine, thanks Wikipedia). Though, the Ferret and Stoat are in the same animal family. In fact, nobody probably cares about this, lol.

Its interesting to note that even though Baki and Tenjho Tenge have similar story types, they're rate differently.

Either way, Hajime no Ippo is better than them. Very Happy
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Papuwa is, in one word, flamboyant. It is the Hollywood hairdresser of anime and spends its humor quota on blazed mushroom-men, transvestite fish with hairy fishnetted legs, gender-ambiguous pink dinosaurs, and anything else that could be found in a seedy dance club for non-heterosexual animals. Our beloved hero is Kotaro, a willowy pretty boy who demands only the best in life—even though he just landed on a bizarre, super gay island.

I am SO going to buy this now. Laughing
handsomeyakuza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:47 am Reply with quote
The Orginal OVA is great...I still have my orginal VHS tapes of it...I'm looking forward to see it again soon.

I've been to KC BBQ in Seaport Village in San Diego. The piano is still there..."You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain..."
dentedonion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You can always get DVDs, if not now, then later online, or in a boxset, or used somewhere, but merchandise? If you don’t snap it up, it’s gone forever. True, nobody needs suction-cup Naruto shuriken plastic thingies, but you know what, those things are wicked awesome and I don’t regret buying them. Someone needs to form a rehab clinic for this stuff.

I second that. Curse you anime industry! Curse you and your beautiful merchandise! Oh, so expensive, oh so evil..... Embarassed Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad
Lyrai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:23 am Reply with quote
Best review of Negima EVER. The last line gave me this mental image of Rambo on a pointy stick flying around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5