• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Guu Guu Dolls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitsunelady

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:31 am Reply with quote
I have to agree. That was the best review of Negima ever.

That could just be me loathing Ken Akamatsu and his pedophiliac leanings, though. >_>
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:50 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of Mahou Sensei Negima! on the Newtype sampler DVD last week and nothing on that episode made me want to run out to my nearest Best Buy and buy Vol. #1 on Tuesday (assuming of course that my BB will actually carry this DVD - they've been pretty crappy in terms of being faithful to the street dates). I'll probably wait for a full review - both here and on Anime on DVD - before I decide on whether I'll rent Vol. #1 or not. The only dub performance on that episode I liked was Luci Christian's Asuna. The performance was very lively and energetic, somewhat similar to the performance of Luci's signature character - Kaname Chidori of Full Metal Panic. However, Greg Ayers' Negi sounded too squeaky and unnatural; it just didn't click with me. Could be because I'm not much of a Greg Ayers fan anyway (the only performance of his that I truly enjoyed was his phenominal role as Chrono in Chrono Crusade), but considering that Negi is an extremely important charcter in this series, I expected a much better performance.
maus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:52 am Reply with quote
VERY nice review of Negima! Very Happy
I liked Love Hina a lot, so I thought this would be a very cool series. But then I watched it... Sad
Everything annoyed me about the series: Undeveloped children flashing their undies is a little too pedophilic(sp?) to me. It's downright disturbing... Confused
This whole Moe and pedo-craze should die really soon. Evil or Very Mad
kenshin77

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:48 am Reply with quote
maus wrote:
This whole Moe and pedo-craze should die really soon. Evil or Very Mad

Anime would then be a pretty boring hobby for many people if "moe" would disappear. Laughing
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:50 am Reply with quote
I doubt that, the "moe" fans are really a rather loud, vocal minority, not a huge percentage or enough to be considered "many" in a comparative sense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pleroma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:26 am Reply with quote
Geez, the fanservice is vastly downplayed from the (far superior) manga. Don't be a spoilsport, the schoolgirls are hot.

I found it interesting that Leah Clark (who here does such an amazing job as Nodoka) will also voice Akane in the KNGE dub. Definitely looking forward to that.

Also, does anyone else think that it is great seeing local companies licencing sub-par series and then greatly improoving them with the dub? There's so much mediocrity out there, but with a policy like this almost any title can be made watchable with a litle effort. As long as the quality shows are left intact anyhow.
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
I found it interesting that Leah Clark (who here does such an amazing job as Nodoka) will also voice Akane in the KNGE dub. Definitely looking forward to that.

Same here. I think it's safe to say that Leah Clark is the next actress to keep an eye (or is it ear?) on in the upcoming months. Who knows, she might have the same meteoric rise that Jessica Boone and Luci Christian had over the last couple of years.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I was so in love with Eternal Flower at the time (a song I’m still convinced is one of the best anime themes ever written) that when she sang it, I was in fangirl heaven.

It would certainly make my Top 5 list for All-Time Best Anime Themes. I bought the Ai Yori Aoshi soundtrack primarily for that song. (But the whole album makes pretty good light background music.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Despite what you might expect, Negima isn't all fanservice. There's quite a bit of shounen-esque fighting mixed in.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:29 pm Reply with quote
biliano: Nothing made me want to buy the manga, either, but that series is still apparently big for Del Rey.

maus: I'm guessing Negima's gonna end when it has nothing left of Harry Potter to spoof.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
biliano: Nothing made me want to buy the manga, either, but that series is still apparently big for Del Rey.

maus: I'm guessing Negima's gonna end when it has nothing left of Harry Potter to spoof.

It doesnt really spoof HP a whole lot past the first few chapters aside from the time traveling bit. As it progresses the action gets better and better and after volume 10 we even get a massive martial/magical arts tournament.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
That Negima review deserves the Final Fantasy Victory theme. It really does.

SakechanBD wrote:
I personally have not had good experiences with ferrets in anime. They almost always end up being really irritating, and the one in Popotan made me want to roast it on a spit.

But you can't help but love Sasami's ferret from the first Tenchi Muyo OVA. It was on screen for maybe 1 minute tops (and then in a series of four-panel comics based on the lack of screen time) but it was sooooooo cute. =^__^=

Quote:
Although Last Quarter starts off as a somewhat stilted excuse to show a troubled Hyde pouting in tight pants,...

There's something about that line that makes it funny, but I don't know what.
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:31 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Wasn't Negima one of Del Rey's "starter" titles; i.e. a title that helped establish themselves as a distributor in the manga industry?

EDIT: Never mind. I just answered my own question! Anime smile + sweatdrop
Yuukichan's Papa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote
The first handful of Negima episodes are...troubled, to say it nicely. The series does get better not only in terms of animation quality, but script quality and direction as well - particularly once Akamatsu himself gets involved. On the other hand, I've only read the first two volumes of the manga and can already tell it's superior to the anime.

You've got to hand it to Ken, though. He's a master at what he does.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
OBJECTION, offers Terek.

In regard to the Mahou Sensei Negima! synopsis, I must say that the "Chinese Girl" is off limits for Negi. We can't have spoiler[incest], now, can we? :)

I must say, though...very entertaining. We've got a nice pick of fruit and vegetables this month.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5