• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Guu Guu Dolls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the manga was very good, but the Negima-anime was really not what I expected of it. I never read the manga so I can't compare the anime with it, but I can tell you that the first twenty episodes were boring as hell. It got better in the last few episodes, but too late for my taste... I certainly won't spend 20 € per dvd for a (thusfar) mediocre series as this. Rolling Eyes

About the moe thing: I heard of it for the first time in the tv series 'Densha Otoko' (which is brilliant btw), where 'Densha' and his Otaku-friends were almost worshipping a fictional anime-character with carrots (don't know her name)while screaming "MOE!!!". I thought they were VERY freaky when they did that... Shocked
'Normal' anime fans don't do those sort of things. I for one don't get a hard one when watching pre-pubescent girls with a naughty attitude. It's sickening when I think there are people who do. Confused
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo Dong wrote:
Although Last Quarter starts off as a somewhat stilted excuse to show a troubled Hyde pouting in tight pants,

Laughing LOL! i'm a big Hyde fan, but for some reason I've found myself laughing at this.

But that my frist expectation with a movie with Hyde with it. He's gotten a lot of requests for movies, but he refused them to concentrate on his music (thank goodness).

He only accepted to do this movie because Ken Nikai did many L'arc and Hyde PV's

That's probably why the movie is so artsy, like a PV.

Last edited by shirokiryuu on Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
masterage

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
okies...
Negima! manga is awesome, but this "Season 1" sorta fell flat on it's face. Hopefully Season 2 and the OVA can save the series in terms of an animated series (and make it as great as the manga)...

spoiler[Negi & Kotaro(u) vs Wilheim FTW]

but that's just me...I think.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:

Also, does anyone else think that it is great seeing local companies licencing sub-par series and then greatly improoving them with the dub? There's so much mediocrity out there, but with a policy like this almost any title can be made watchable with a litle effort. As long as the quality shows are left intact anyhow.

I can't say that I think that. Who's to say which are the mediocre shows, and which are the quality ones? I'd rather mass rewrites not be encouraged. Last thing we need is another Ghost Stories ("it's soo much better when they ignore the original...., you should watch the dub. It's not like it's Eva. Forget accuracy.") Anime smile;;; That's eighties dubbing mentality. That, and I didn't really find the Negima dub an improvement. Most of it was actually the definition of what I think bad dubbing is (generic casting, accents, large scale rewrites for little good reason). I didn't think it was all that funny (except for the "It's be the last bear he ever sees" line though). Though that's just me it seems. Though I'll admit Negima never really grabbed me in the first place. I agree mostly with the review. Way too many fetishes pandered too. Though the dub seems to make the characters even more cliched. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Pleroma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I can't say that I think that. Who's to say which are the mediocre shows, and which are the quality ones? I'd rather mass rewrites not be encouraged. No need for a Japanese show pandering to american humor, that's what stuff like Venture Brothers is for. That, and I didn't really find the Negima dub an improvement. Most of it was actually the definition of what I think bad dubbing is (generic casting, accents, large scale rewrites for little good reason). I didn't think it was all that funny (except for the "It's be the last bear he ever sees" line though). Though that's just me it seems. Though I'll admit Negima never really grabbed me in the first place. I agree mostly with the review. Way too many fetishes pandered too. Though the dub seems to make the characters even more cliched.

Well I guess decidint what is quality would be up to the distributor and hopefully fan imput. I have to disagree about the dub tho, the original was quite unremarcable to begin with but its still quite a challenge for a dub to produce appropriate voices for so many characters. The rewrites make the whole thing flow better in this case and its not as it its anything of "Ghost Stories" proportions, just some subtle tinkering with a stale script.

And lastly, while I'll admit Negi's accent bothered me at first, the actor seemed to have grown into it by the end and it was not nearly as grating. A Negi with no accent would have been simply unnaceptable. Only thing I dont get is how come Chao and Ku Fei got no chinese accents.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
Only thing I don't get is how come Chao and Ku Fei got no chinese accents.

It's much harder to have people do Chinese accents, because it runs the risk of being called racist. Especially when you have Caucasian actors trying to do Asian accents.

With Negima, Negi has just come from Wales, so it's acceptable for him to have a Welsh accent. If he had just come from China, maybe they would have dropped him with a slight Asian accent, but you can't assume that Chao and Ku Fei are newly emigrated, or are unable to speak the primary language without an accent. If every Chinese character in an anime was saddled with a Chinese accent, I'd be slightly offended.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Heh, maybe not Chao, but I was refering to Ku Fei having a VERY marked accent in the manga so her not having one in the anime seems rather out of character.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
Heh, maybe not Chao, but I was refering to Ku Fei having a VERY marked accent in the manga so her not having one in the anime seems rather out of character.

Ah, shows you how much I know about the manga. I haven't read it yet, but I might pick it up, since from what I've heard, it's better than its animated counterpart.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ah, shows you how much I know about the manga. I haven't read it yet, but I might pick it up, since from what I've heard, it's better than its animated counterpart.

MUCH better, but If I may suggest something you should steel yourself for a rocky start. Akamatsu did have to sell this as a Harem at first so it takes a few volumes for it to settle into the right rythm, however once it gets there it one hell of a ride.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

And understatement if I ever heard one. This analogy should serve nicely.

One Piece Manga (J.) : One Piece Anime (D.) ≈ Negima Manga (J.) : Negima Anime (J.)

Whereby "J" is "Japanese" and "D" is for "dub". A note that I am not taking into account the vocal performances (A+) in the Japanese Negima Anime, nor the fantastic musical score (A). FUNimation's dub of Negima is approximately equal to, if of slightly less quality than, the original Japanese.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:

Well I guess decidint what is quality would be up to the distributor and hopefully fan imput. I have to disagree about the dub tho, the original was quite unremarcable to begin with but its still quite a challenge for a dub to produce appropriate voices for so many characters. The rewrites make the whole thing flow better in this case and its not as it its anything of "Ghost Stories" proportions, just some subtle tinkering with a stale script.

I never said the original was anything great either. I did like it better that the dub though, especially casting wise. Just that I wouldn't call the dub an improvement by my standards. I didn't mean that it was of Ghost Stories proportions, merely that encouraging too much tinkering tends to lead to such things. A little is okay and understandable, though this one went a tad too far at times (though still not as far as some). That's all. I'm not too interested in Negima, but will probably watch it subbed since of the two, I like the sound of the sub better. To each his own and all. I agree that the show has way too many characters, and imagine that dubbing them would be a challlenge. I just wasn't impressed by what I've seen of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
I'm not too interested in Negima, but will probably watch it subbed since of the two, I like the sound of the sub better. To each his own and all. I agree that the show has way too many characters, and imagine that dubbing them would be a challlenge. I just wasn't impressed by what I've seen of it.

I'm in the same boat with you. When I rent Vol. #1 later this year (which will happen after I finish watching Gantz, with could be sooner than I plan), I'm going to watch it in Japanese. Outside of Luci's Asuna and to some degree Leah Clark's Nodoka (and in this case, I'll give Leah the benefit of the doubt since she's a newcomer to the voice-over industry), none of the English performances clicked (especially Greg Ayers' Negi).
Rion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:10 pm Reply with quote
So Hyde is in Last Quarter, would this make his second film?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
The Negima manga is very mediocre to begin with (though I though it was an improvment over Love Hina, which isn't particuarly hard), so I don't even want to consider what the "inferior" anime is like. Great review though. I'm interested to see Area 88 as well.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:02 am Reply with quote
Rion wrote:
So Hyde is in Last Quarter, would this make his second film?

Yeah, it's his second film. He's got a lot of request after Moon Child, but he did this to a favor to Ken Nikai, who directed many of his promotional videos/music videos.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5