• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Guu Guu Dolls

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The dub is vastly funnier, but it’s so different from the original language that depending on how much of a purist you are, this could be either good or bad.

Funnier? Purist? You couldn't get much farther from the origirnal dialogue and still have it anything to do with the show (Fertilizer? WTF?!). If this and Ghost Stories are going to be the big thing in dubs now, I am glad I avoid dubs as much as possible
bennyb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:08 am Reply with quote
I would rate Guu higher than a rental, but that's just one man's opinion.
Raja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I am terrible at saving money. I used to be really good about it, but that’s before I got into anime. It’s not so much the DVDs or the CDs or whatever that kill my wallet, it’s the merchandise. I can tell myself for days that I barely have enough money to fill up my gas tank, or that I’m going to need to scrimp if I want to get plane tickets for whatever convention, but I’ll go to an anime store, see a figure, and drop $75 on it (Have you guys seen the Final Fantasy VII cold-cast resin statues?? They’re gorgeous! [Okay, it’s not anime, but come on, it’s almost the same fandom.]). This happens all the time.
{snip}
Someone needs to form a rehab clinic for this stuff.
Oh, I am SO there.

*looks around apartment filled with random anime stuff*
*ponders sending it all back to the states*
*weeps*

Every day I am thankful that the nearest Animate store is six hours away by train...
Bell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote
I just want to give a big Wordy McWord to the merchandise rant at the top of the column, particularly on the resin statues bit. Man, I've got to get myself one of those, if not just so my resin ball-jointed doll has some company.

And really, who needs the Advent Children DVD when you have a replica of Cloud's wolf ring? I mean, SERIOUSLY.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I think the review on Negima implies there are actually redeeming qualities to the series. Granted, I haven't heard it in English, but I have little hope. The manga at least makes an effort to give all the girls personalities instead of just plopping them into stereotypical roles (OMG a robot! Let's have her randomly go beserk. Frequently).

Another downfall of the anime is that Negi's mage training and search for his father play a major role in the manga, but are virtually nonexistant in the anime, so all we're left with is stupid magical hijinks and lots of girls.
And maybe it's a good thing that the anime downplays the fact that nearly all magic in Negima seems to cause clothing to dissappear or be torn off (I'm getting sick of it, really), but then aside from the sheer number of girls and Negi's age, there's just about nothing that makes this series stand out as unique.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

And maybe it's a good thing that the anime downplays the fact that nearly all magic in Negima seems to cause clothing to dissappear or be torn off (I'm getting sick of it, really), but then aside from the sheer number of girls and Negi's age, there's just about nothing that makes this series stand out as unique.

That was mostly in the first volume or two. The fanservice is fairly minimal as the series goes on. How much of the manga have you read?
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Nothing against the "anti-pedophile movements" and the "anti-moe` movements." I've managed to avoid people who would look under skirts of animated 14-year-olds rather than of 24-year-olds.

But I forgave Akamatsu for doing something nobody else in the anime/manga world can't: GIVE THE MALE LEAD FREAKIN' BACKBONE.

Once I get my money, then I'll be sold.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:16 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

That was mostly in the first volume or two. The fanservice is fairly minimal as the series goes on. How much of the manga have you read?

Up to chapter 143. And by downplay, I mean like that when Nodoka was attacked by the vampire, in the manga most of her uniform is destroyed, but not in the anime.
hagakure|returns

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Tyrenol wrote:
Nothing against the "anti-pedophile movements" and the "anti-moe` movements." I've managed to avoid people who would look under skirts of animated 14-year-olds rather than of 24-year-olds.

But I forgave Akamatsu for doing something nobody else in the anime/manga world can't: GIVE THE MALE LEAD FREAKIN' BACKBONE.

Once I get my money, then I'll be sold.

Come on, Akatmatsu is a fanboy. He draw whimpy lead character because that's what most of the same wimpy fan can identify with...especially with harem series (aka teen's wet dream). Negima (anime) is ridiculous and the manga isn't much better either.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Come on, Akatmatsu is a fanboy. He draw whimpy lead character because that's what most of the same wimpy fan can identify with...especially with harem series (aka teen's wet dream). Negima (anime) is ridiculous and the manga isn't much better either.

I think he was saying that Akamatsu DID give Negi a backbone, which is indeed true. He may be 10, but he acts in a responsible manner, fights when its necesary and even does pretty well with the ladies despite his inexperience.

Please stop saying its just a harem manga as you have obviously not read very far into it. I'd qualify it as a action/adventure/romance deal.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
Quote:

I think he was saying that Akamatsu DID give Negi a backbone, which is indeed true. He may be 10, but he acts in a responsible manner, fights when its necesary and even does pretty well with the ladies despite his inexperience.

Please stop saying its just a harem manga as you have obviously not read very far into it. I'd qualify it as a action/adventure/romance deal.

Resounding concuring comment!

Seriously though, I'm not going to make excuses; I pretty much like and identify with most and/or all of Akamatsu's work. I also know that (for some reason) his print work is always better then the anime based off the manga. Based on that knowledge, I thought the Negima! anime was pretty fun. I'd classify it more as a "guilty pleasure" anime show then a "Top 5" show to reccomend.

Also, I'm sure there are more fans that "identify" with these types of show (or just plain ol' enjoy them) then those that turn their nose up at that silly harem genre. That's why it's still profitable Razz
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:07 am Reply with quote
Gee, after reading this review of Negima and the previous column's review of This Ugly yet Beautiful World, I somehow get the feeling that Bamboo doesn't like fanboy-pandering harem anime. For shame! Very Happy I won't try to claim that Negima is on par with its manga origin, nor will I claim that it's anything better than decent/good on its own *can't remember what he rated it*. But, I found some good moments in it, and thought it was a pretty enjoyable series, in a "guilty pleasure" way. I'd talk about those good moments, but that would be a "zomg i watchd da fansubs and ur soo rong because dis show is awsome!1" type of post. I'll just say that despite the anime's flaws, I deemed it good enough to buy the DVDs of, and that box really is a nice one. It's also good to see better video quality and subtitling (even though Funi misuses "it's" on its Speed Grapher ads, they're much better than the fansubs, which weren't excellent as fansubs go).
The dub? I think I commented on its "Ghost Storiezing" on another post; Ghost Stories made me less of a purist, but I still disagreed with a few changes, like revamping Asuna/Ayaka's exchanges about the other being a paed0phile and an old-man-lover. Still, I was laughing quite a bit at the dub, so I'd say I got the value for my money for the disc. It's a bit of an unusual episode count--according to Lance Heiskell, it's 6-4-4-4-4-4. The only other series I've seen like that is Figure 17, and that's not quite the same.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:21 am Reply with quote
I suspect FUNI put 6 episodes on the first disc to get to some more plot oriented episodes quicker, but I could be wrong. I've only seen the first episode so I don't know how far 6 episodes goes. It is still a weird episode count though. At first I thought they were going to do another Fruits Basket type release (24-26 episode series on 4 discs) until I noticed that the second volume only had 4 episodes.

I'm personally iffy on this series because I think it could be entertaining, but I'm not sure if I'll like it since I'm a big fan of the manga.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:34 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
The Negima manga is very mediocre to begin with (though I though it was an improvment over Love Hina, which isn't particuarly hard), so I don't even want to consider what the "inferior" anime is like. Great review though. I'm interested to see Area 88 as well.

Akamatsu didn't know how to start off the manga; it's more akin to Love Hina in the beginning, much like how Love Hina was like A.I. Love You in its beginning. However, Akamatsu found his groove at around volume three or four, and the manga skyrocketed from there.

Though, it's dragged a bit slightly recently; when I dove into the manga online, it was at the "Ako arc", which I was extremely impressed with. After that, though...not much of interest has happened.

The best chapter (or period) spread is...ehh, ~60-128. Negima! is a solid, entertaining romp within those parameters.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:34 am Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
I'd classify it more as a "guilty pleasure" anime show then a "Top 5" show to reccomend.
Haha, I've got to agree. I have no desire to rate it as a masterpiece that it certainly is not but, dangit, I actually had fun! Shocked

At least, I liked some moments of it, especially on episode 24 (I haven't read the manga that far: did those things really happen or, as my seventh sense tell me, those are alternate storylines exclusively anime so to end it somehow?) at the end. I guess the girl's action touches my cruel streak well. You deserve that, timid indispensible silent cute shy character girl! Razz

The ending sucks, though. They should've spoiler[left Asuna dead] for a great irony.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5