• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei and Disney Co-Productions Announced

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.G.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
Sounds like intriguing news to me.We'll see how this whole "Robodies" thing goes.
lledra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:38 am Reply with quote
wow it does sound interesting. looking forward to more info on it.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:52 am Reply with quote
Wow, talk about worlds colliding.

To be honest, this sounds like a total crap project to me, but regardless, I think this is an interesting and beneficial industry move on both parts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:08 am Reply with quote
. . . Did anyone else think "Kingdom Hearts" anime when they saw that news?

*feels a bit depressed now..*
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:13 am Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:

Yes Sad
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:39 am Reply with quote
Sounds like a bloody disaster in the making. Toei has become a lazy animation studio since they started using digital technology in their productions, and the overall quality of their work has decreased significantly.

Take a look at the Cartoon Network sponsored "Demashitaa! Power Puff Girls Z" show; it's not a spoof of "magical girl anime" like many thought, it is a magical girl anime! And, at that, the character design quality, animation, and wit of the previews have evaporated; it's so hollow.

Not to mention that even thought Disney ate Pixar, Japan is several years behind in CGI; Ryuk from Death Note was about equal to that movie Cats & Dogs from 2001. Sigh.

ChibiGoku wrote:

I've never played the game, but yeah, that's what I immediately thought of when I saw the announcement.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:28 am Reply with quote
I'd imagine Disney wanting to work with Bones on a KH anime, since they've seen how well it's done for FMA. Or maybe Pierrot, so they could say, "From the studio that brought you Naruto."
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:39 am Reply with quote
This is interesting news. It's nice to see Disney taking an interest in Japan outside of Studio Ghibli films. Hopefully this will be of as high quality as their dubs are in terms of voice acting, but I'm still waiting for the day that Disney will collaborate with Studio Ghibli to produce an animated feature film.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
This is interesting news. It's nice to see Disney taking an interest in Japan outside of Studio Ghibli films. Hopefully this will be of as high quality as their dubs are in terms of voice acting, but I'm still waiting for the day that Disney will collaborate with Studio Ghibli to produce an animated feature film.

Yuck, have you even seen the dub for Castle in the Sky? It was horrendous -- but don't get me wrong, it was not 4Kids by any means, but it was still bad.
Kouji

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote
Yes, I have seen the Laputa dub. Have you seen the dubs of Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle? Because those dubs were spectacular.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Yes, I have seen the Laputa dub. Have you seen the dubs of Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle? Because those dubs were spectacular.

Yes, I have seen the dub of Spirited Away and parts of the dub of Howl's Moving Castle. While I must say both of those were nicely done, Disney cannot be counted on for doing consistently good jobs with dubs, as evidenced by Castle in the Sky.

And considering this Robodies will probably be one of Disney's "lesser" titles, like Castle in the Sky, it will probably not receive a great dub.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:

They were also extremely expensive movies. There's a reason anime companies, unlike animation studios for the large conglomerates like Warner and Disney, cannot hire actors like Jim Cummings, Rob Paulsen, Lani Minella, Maurice LaMarche, or Frank Welker; those big name actors are all leagues beyond the payroll of low-budget companies. They are of the highest quality and, likewise, demand the largest compensation; even new people to the acting business get paid fairly well for a Ghibli film, primarily because of Miyazaki's reputation and the available budget for producing the film in the west.

Disney has deep pockets, so I am not expecting acting quality to be an issue with this show. Instead, I'm curious about the animation and plot; my hypothesis is that Disney only signed on Toei as an excuse to associate their show with Japan, specifically with the intention of attracting people to a show with a percieved "foreign touch" to it (id est, the wayward anime fan).
R.G.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:34 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:

And do I have a perfect project for them : An anime adaptation of Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:56 am Reply with quote
Well I for one thought the dub of Castle in the Sky was just fine.
Jetix UK already has a CGI robot/cyborg type programme called "Get Ed". It's sort of and updated version of "Tron" based on a futuristic couriour service? Anime dazed. My daughter likes it, but the CGI is still too plasticine for my liking.
This get together of Toei and Disney could work, but because I feel Toei needs Disney more than Disney needs Toei, it smells more like a take-over than a co-production. I could be wrong, but only time will tell. Wink
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:42 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:

And do I have a perfect project for them : An anime adaptation of Gilbert and Sullivan's The Mikado!

Why would anyone want to make an anime based on a train engine?

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2