• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV to Release Utawarerumono

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:49 am Reply with quote
Awesome. I was hoping this would get licensed.

I hadn't actually started watching the fansubs, but now it looks like I'll be waiting a while to see it.
Pleroma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:55 am Reply with quote
Cool, Hate the title tho. Why not keep it "The one being sung" seems more mystical and interesting to me if I did not know about it.

Good thing there's more than one subber, I wanna finish this.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:57 am Reply with quote
Very solid title they got there. I'm definetely planning on getting the DVDs.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Pleroma wrote:
Cool, Hate the title tho. Why not keep it "The one being sung" seems more mystical and interesting to me if I did not know about it.

Because changing the title removes the Utawa Ray Romano gag. :<
Shii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
this title = i laughed so hard i cried
icepick314

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:06 pm Reply with quote
i don't know why people don't like the English title....

i think it sounds fine....it's improvement for me at least because that word is hard to pronounce as is....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Pleroma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Theres a Shadow warrior movie and a Shadow warrior game, this is gonna confuse some people. That and it sounds lame and like they aren't even trying.

"Underwater Down Under Ray Romano" FTW!
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
i don't know why people don't like the English title....

Because words like "shadow" and "warrior" are overused in hard-to-translate anime titles. And this one uses both. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Venire

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote
The english name is about the worst possibility you could come up with. It doesn't even have any relevance to the show itself. I won't support product-raping in any way, so with this name I'll leave Utawarerumono in the shelf, which is a shame considering how good it is.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Once upon a time, I thought "Rumbling Hearts" was a bad title...
loplop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm more interested in the rumor that ADV is going to license the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya . . . .

Last edited by loplop on Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
icepick314

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:35 pm Reply with quote
product raping would be cutting out scenes, lousy translation, subpar video and video transfer, and such...

title name change would not degrade the watching experience...

any good anime fan would support a great title...

now good example of product raping is TenTen manga release by CMX....cutting out pictures AND some pages, changing dialogues, and adding unnecessary sound effects on pages to cover up panels....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Are 12 year olds doing the title work for ADV now? Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen such a lame retranslation of an anime title since the 80's and 90's.

Otherwise a good title pickup for ADV. And that Haruhi rumor was started by a flyer Kadokawa pictures was distributing promoting their panel that takes place AFTER the ADV panel today. The rumor got started online when some idiot posted a picture of the flyer with a business card covering the Kadokawa pictures logo where it says "Come check out our new titles!" most likely to get people's hopes up as a prank. It could still be true, but my money is on Geneon.

Last edited by Hunter Sopko on Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I just noticed the title it is being released under. I missed it the first time as I stopped reading after "licensed Utawarerumono".

I'm glad they aren't using the Japanese title (and I figured whoever got it wouldn't) as it is extremely difficult to pronounce.

But "Shadow Warrior Chronicles" is rather lame. It could be worse though, I'm sure.
Jabberwock

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Venire wrote:
The english name is about the worst possibility you could come up with. It doesn't even have any relevance to the show itself. I won't support product-raping in any way, so with this name I'll leave Utawarerumono in the shelf, which is a shame considering how good it is.

aka, I like my free anime and will look for any reason to tell myself it is alright to not support the industry. God some people fail miserably.

As for the name, I don't mind it one bit, what I would have been pissed off about is if they had left it the same. Utawarerumono, say what? It absolutely amazes me how many people get their panties in a knot over name changes, it's pretty ridiculous is you think about it. You people seem to care more about the name than the fact that it has been licensed, will be released with dual audio, subbed, uncut and for a reasonable price.

Last edited by Jabberwock on Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6