• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon Discussed During Baltimore Baseball Coverage

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it was a wise idea for Orioles fans to be heckling the cosplayers. Last I checked, the O's haven't done much of anything since 1997. Rolling Eyes
loplop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, It would have been funnier to seen the cosplayers heckle the Orioles . . . .
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I feel so apt to mention the "crazed body-painting sports fan = crazed cosplaying anime fan" comparison that Mr. Mays came up with. People are so lame.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kholdstare

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I don't think it was a wise idea for Orioles fans to be heckling the cosplayers. Last I checked, the O's haven't done much of anything since 1997. Rolling Eyes

When the Orioles are playing the Yankees, there are more Yankee fans in Camden Yards then Orioles fans. Just throwing that fact out there.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:18 pm Reply with quote
this actually isnt that all surprising. when anime fans in their own element clash with the rest of the world, there are problems, such as with AnimeNEXT and people passing by amoung the hordes of cosplayers. i was there and i saw their reactions. not good. and when anime clashes with something such as baseball......you know whats comming. the Ozzfest bus passed by AnimeNEXT during the convention. i dont think anyone was on it, but just imagine bands reactions.

p.s. im also a metal fan, so theres conflicting interests there. BIG ONES.
biliano

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Kholdstare wrote:
biliano wrote:

When the Orioles are playing the Yankees, there are more Yankee fans in Camden Yards then Orioles fans. Just throwing that fact out there.

The same is true when the Yankees play the Indians at Jacobs Field: More Yankees fans than Tribe fans. Wink
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I remember watching a college basketball game on ESPN 2, and the announcers were talking about this player who was an anime fan. They discussed his tattoos and how he had a few comics printed in the schools paper, but after that one of the announcers started talking about Adult Swim, and all the shows they air.

It was funny because this guy knew what he was talking about, a few quotes were: "What, you don't watch Family Guy? No Lupin the third?" He even pronounced Lupin right, good stuff.

Last edited by RezSav on Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
username115

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Heh, when I was up there, I didn't get heckled. It was more people trying to avoid me and/or get their kids away from me. And I wasn't even in one of the 'stranger' costumes out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote
To any courageous Otakon cosplayer: next time, cosplay a character from this manga.

I'll put this incident in my questions for interviewing with its author this Saturday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
To any courageous Otakon cosplayer: next time, cosplay a character from this manga.

Damn dormcat spot on with cosplay for a character for the Baltimore Orioles.

Kholdstare wrote:

Yeah last year when I whent on a east coast road trip (Basically to see all the ballpark I could/and to see my Grandpa) there were Yankee fans at everygame I went to (That Yankee played) and dear lord I thought my Red Sox were over the top but damn.
Someone_II

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quote
This is why I don't cosplay. I have no problem with cosplayers other than the fact that they seem a bit obsseive. Don't get me wrong, I feel the same about holloween (on a much smaller scale though as that's the one day where it doesn't really matter) obssive sports fans and pretty much anyone who goes out of their way to dress up out of fandom for something. On the other hand though, I sympathize with all you otaku as I, many a time, have been heckeled for being a fan in the least (sterotypes and such) so I can see both sides but, just because they seem like a minority to me, I think I'll side with the otaku.

dormcat wrote:
Thus proving Mr. Mays point.
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I guess this counts the culture clash that the ANN guys mentioned at their panel for all those who attended. (all 10 of you Wink )

And just to throw it out there, the anime fan/sports fan analogy is probably one of the best comparisions I've ever heard. Great job again Mr. Mays!
NGE1113

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:12 pm Reply with quote
As a baseball enthusiast, it disappoints me that this happened. Yet, the sad reality is that this is the inevitable clash between one fandom that refuses to learn and understand another.

Jadress wrote:
Hmm, I feel so apt to mention the "crazed body-painting sports fan = crazed cosplaying anime fan" comparison that Mr. Mays came up with. People are so lame.

Exactly. For anyone who lives in the Wash, DC area, you know that the Redskins have their own "cosplayers" (Hogettes, anyone?).

Kholdstare wrote:
When the Orioles are playing the Yankees, there are more Yankee fans in Camden Yards then Orioles fans.

Hey, with any luck, MLB will schedule both the Yankees and the Red Sox somewhere other than Baltimore during the next Otakon. Camden Yards only sells out when those two teams visit, anyway. Razz

And that's another reason why I'm glad to be a Nationals fan (and yes, I know the same could happen if Katsucon was held between April-September).
starcade

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
loplop wrote:
Agreed, It would have been funnier to seen the cosplayers heckle the Orioles . . . .

Long fly -- left field... GONE!!!!!

Nice one...
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:34 pm Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
Exactly. For anyone who lives in the Wash, DC area, you know that the Redskins have their own "cosplayers" (Hogettes, anyone?).

Exactly, I am just going to throw this out there because I have been to a couple of games.....the raiders.....those people cosplay like no other. Hell when people half A$$ their costume they get harass all game long.

NGE1113 wrote:
Hey, with any luck, MLB will schedule both the Yankees and the Red Sox somewhere other than Baltimore during the next Otakon. Camden Yards only sells out when those two teams visit, anyway. Razz

Because it's so damn expensive to see the Red Sox at their own home games. As much as I love Fenway they need more seating, I bought tickets for my dad and brother (who are going to see the sox play the yankee on the 20th) for $300. Face value of these tickets......$12.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

P.S. GO Red Sox.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7