• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime/Manga and travelling by air.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote
I'm off to Virginia to visit some relatives tomorrow and while packing up I was distinctly reminded of how paranoid the US is today. Any American here can vouch for the airports of the country being idiotically paranoid these days and participating in reams of Security Theatre that do absolutely NOTHING yet are still done anyway. I was also reminded of many of the incidents we've had--such as the Handley case.

I have a lot of anime and manga on my computer...some of which is loli/shota. I'm worried that the airport security might check my comp and I don't want to get arrested for CP thanks to the wackjobs running this country intentionally conflating loli/shota for CP. Anyone who has travelled with a laptop in the US: Do they regularly check laptops for stuff or am I safe? I have a hard drive I can just move all my stuff on to and keep at home safe (or could I bring it with me? Do they check external hard drives?), but I really would not like to have to do that...especially since I'll be gone for more than two weeks.

I'm also gonna be changing my background (one of the KIll La Kill posters) to something non-anime/manga as well, since apparently authorities are literally trained to assume "anime-esque background = this guy's holding CP". Jesus this country is screwed up.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote
Your laptop is safe. the only thing you will be asked to do is take it out of whatever you are carrying it in, and place it in a bin and send it through the x-ray scanner.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:53 am Reply with quote
From this site:

Going through Security wrote:
People carrying laptops in bags that are not checkpoint friendly must remove the laptop from the bag, according to airport rules. Place the laptop in one of the scanning bins to pass through the x-ray machine. Being cooperative helps alleviate difficulty. Airport security may instruct travelers to turn on their computers or ask questions about the computer. If travelers fail to answer questions or follow security guidelines, airport security has the right to confiscate the laptop computers. Travelers should put their names and addresses on their computers in case multiple laptops are passing through security, or travelers have to go through additional inspections.

I think your best option would be to move the questionable material onto a separate harddrive to avoid unnecessary trouble. Also, some of my searches stated that a warrant should be required to search your laptop or that searching through a laptop doesn't occur that often.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
huh, every time I've traveled via an airport, I have never been asked to turn on my computer nor I have I seen TSA ask anyone in front or behind of me to do so. nor has anyone else in my family been asked to or seen TSA ask anyone else.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of the US TSA hassling anyone over lolicon or shotacon manga, only Canadian customs officials. With the brief time the TSA has to screen each passenger, they are primarily only looking for weapons and to a lesser extent, drugs. The only way I could see you having trouble was if you drew particular attention to it and you randomly got a total moral hard-charger for a screener.

Still, discretion is probably the safest option. If you can part with it, leave it at home. Thousands of loli doujin have been sent through the US mail, but one poor kid in Iowa gets nailed because he randomly drew the wrong inspector. I wouldn't want to chance that.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, then I should be fine if I leave the manga (or all of my pictures, really). I don't have any anime on hand that could be construed as lolicon unless you spent hours looking through every episode and I highly doubt they'll bother to check my eroge...or any of my stuff at all. All I need to do is put an innocuous screensaver up.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
My policy for travel has always been "don't bring it if you don't want to lose it or if it's questionable." Thus I've kept my laptop pretty much clean of anything questionable especially since I use it for college a lot...not that I really have much on it that is anyway though. At any rate the battery life on the laptop is a joke so it's useless unless I can plug it in anyway. I don't use it on the plane, and just stick to paperback novels, and my mp3 player.

As for manga I don't usually bring it, because a lot of them have smaller print that's hard to read in moving vehicles or diminished light.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
If you can't remove content you're worried about people finding from your computer, why don't you just set the files to 'hidden'? (Right click -> properties -> check 'hidden.') Even if the TSA looks through your computer files--which I doubt they would do unless you were acting really suspicious, they've never asked me to turn on my netbook or phone or anything like that in airport security--they're probably not going to do such a thorough search that they'll even check to see if there's any files hidden.

That being said, I agree with Kruszer--the best idea is probably to not have anything on portable devices that you're afraid of people seeing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lupica

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote
I've been asked to turn my laptop on before - they do it randomly and very rarely to make sure it's a working computer and not some kind of elaborate explosive. They were satisfied by seeing the desktop come up and hearing it making normal computer noises.

I wouldn't personally want to travel with loli/shota stuff. Internal US flights have much lower security than international ones though, so you should be safe unless you give them some reason to want to single you out.
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:33 am Reply with quote
I tend not to keep any of that questionable material off my laptop in the first place and leave it all in my desktop / external HDs.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Well, I was pleasantly surprised. Nothing happened! They didn't even ask me to open it or whatever, they just scanned it once and let me be.

Which makes me want to hit myself for leaving all my anime on a hard drive in my (now-inaccessable) luggage bag. No marathoning Symphogear S1 on the plane for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1