• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-08-10]

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Was that "improve" or "improv"? I totally would've digged the latter.

You gotta give some amount of credit to our flake for being able to spell out Kishimoto's name. I wouldn't be able to do that. Of course, I also don't care.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
i noticed that east coast otaku are different from the west coast people who show up to anime expo, like somehow they're more, i don't know, enthusiastic? they seem to be having more fun, like they're louder and stuff, where at expo everyone seemed quiet or whatever.

Well the east coast otaku have public transportation, not gated communities. :roll:

Quote:
You know, Viz has a pretty good track record of releasing live-action flicks here so I'd bet good money that both Death Note and Nana will find their way to DVD here at some point.

Viz said "no comment" at the AX panel. And the only chance it'll happen is if the Peppers' record label isn't run by greedy bastards like the ones who owns the Duran Duran songs. I have a feeling the Nana music rights will be a pain, too. They definitely told me that there's very little chance of the Train Man dorama seeing the light of day with its copyrighted stuff.
Sakura no Miko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I AGREE COMPLETELY!

I went to my first convention this year (Anime Expo) and I was utterly shocked at some of the questions people were asking. The Mana panel was especially bad--someone asked "What is your favorite fetish?" and the poor translator looked so shocked. That and "Will you marry me?"

Seriously, if it's a question you would want someone asking you infront of a two hundred plus crowd of people, then, go ahead, ask it. Otherwise, keep your mouth shut.
arxane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:17 pm Reply with quote
A couple years ago I attended Anime Fest, which featured a VA panel that housed a lot of Texas talent as well as some LA VAs. It was a very good panel except for one guy that soured the event by being very rude. Basically, he got up to the mike and asked the VAs if they could give him their autographs there and then, before the autograph session started, because he was "late for work." The VAs gave the guy their signiatures and he went on his way (presumably to work), but I'm sure a lot of people there wanted to punch him in the face.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Concerning the rant:

While I do agree with the ranter on both points (the silly questions and the professional separation), some VAs don't mind getting chummy with fans. Tristan MacAvery in particular was quite well-known for not only schmoozing, but actually hanging out with, common fans during a 'con. (Of course, I got the impression from meeting him that he'd probably be attending 'cons anyway even if he wasn't an industry professional.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Ah...what an excellent Flake! I'll bet that person actually boxes up his stuff and ships it to that "address" that was supplied Very Happy

I really liked the rant. I feel the same way when someone askes a totally ridiculous or inappropriate question. Sometimes it makes me want to hide my face in embarrassment just from being in the same audience as the person doing the asking. Unfortunately, there are always gonna be idiots in a large group of people. The only way I could see it being prevented is if they had a question screener who would weed out the bad questions. Ah well, all we can do ourselves is ask intelligent questions and give thoughtfull compliments.

Excellent column Zac!
bluepita

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
arxane wrote:
A couple years ago I attended Anime Fest, which featured a VA panel that housed a lot of Texas talent as well as some LA VAs. It was a very good panel except for one guy that soured the event by being very rude. Basically, he got up to the mike and asked the VAs if they could give him their autographs there and then, before the autograph session started, because he was "late for work." The VAs gave the guy their signiatures and he went on his way (presumably to work), but I'm sure a lot of people there wanted to punch him in the face.

I remember that. My first convention and I was astonded by the insane questions people ask the voice actors. Things like who would win between Vash and Spike. I mean really. And the questions for the women's panel were even worse.
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:35 am Reply with quote
I like the rant as well. I've never really been to any cons, so I haven't had much experience, but when Shinichiro Watanabe visited Detroit and did a Q&A, 80% of the audience were completely unbearable. I think maybe I'm being generous. First of all, there was a huge line of people with questions, but time was limited, so the Moderator kindly asked people to be very brief and just ask a question. But of course, half of the people had to introduce themselves and prattle on about how big of a fan they are, thus blatantly wasting everyone's time. One guy even mentioned in his pointless "I'm a big fan" intro that he "downloaded the Cowboy Bebop movie and watched it right away!!" I just had my head in my hands.

I think it's pretty cool that some VAs and stuff get chummy with their fans, but some fans really don't seem to have any grip on social codes, and will follow industry people around like puppies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
You gotta give some amount of credit to our flake for being able to spell out Kishimoto's name. I wouldn't be able to do that. Of course, I also don't care.

Ya but that just about all the credit you can give to that person.......but then again Answerman has that question all the time. It's make you wonder if people just don't bother to read the archive.

Gatsu wrote:
Well the east coast otaku have public transportation, not gated communities. Rolling Eyes

Har har.....thanks for nod, that a big portion of Southern California is without public (Or adequate) transportation.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:36 am Reply with quote
I really loved the rant. Overobsessed fanboys, fangirls, take heed!

Not too much into English-language voice actors, but I've heard of enough otaku who spam Japanese actor blogs not only with "Will you marry me?" and "I love your work, I downloaded the whole thing on BitTorrent last night!", but the ever-aggravating real-life slashing. Honestly, I don't believe that just because fans constantly slash the Prince of Tennis' Golden Pair, that Oishi and Kikumaru's actors from the musical will want to make out. Or read fanfiction/doujinshi about said making out. But that's just me.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:47 am Reply with quote
This is actually a rant I agree with. I can't believe the huge amount of extremely rude questions that I heard asked at panels this year at AX. Asking a stupid question, while annoying, is one thing, but asking a personal question in front of hundreds of people is just plain, well, rude.

Not only did I hear people ask these kind of questions to voice actors, but almost all of the GoH panels I went to had at least one person ask some kind of rude question.
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:01 am Reply with quote
I've never been to a con, but I've talked to those annoying anime fans in book stores and in the anime isle at Best Buy... VERY irritating people.

Deltakiral wrote:
Gatsu wrote:
Well the east coast otaku have public transportation, not gated communities. Rolling Eyes

Har har.....thanks for nod, that a big portion of Southern California is without public (Or adequate) transportation.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral

Ugh, I know. I used to have to take public transportation to get to college about 10 miles away in the next town over. I got on the first of three busses (one to get to the Galt town center, one to take me to Elk Grove, and another one to get to the college) at 10:50, and didn't arive at the school until 12:30. And that's assuming that e-Trans (the Elk Grove bus system... the ones that got me to college) was on time... it was VERY common for them to either run late or just pass up the bus stop if they didn't feel like stopping, in which case, I might not get to school until 1:00 or later.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:25 am Reply with quote
shadow_Hiei wrote:
I've never been to a con, but I've talked to those annoying anime fans in book stores and in the anime isle at Best Buy... VERY irritating people.

I could care less about the fans themselves and to what extent they are "obsessed" with whoever it is. And I don't mind if they talk to me in the anime section of my local Best Buy either (although sometimes annoying, I can put up with it).

I just don't like it when they ask industry reps, voice actors, directors, etc. extremely rude and personal questions. I don't respect people who ignore others rights to privacy (celebrity or not).
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
While I do agree with the ranter on both points (the silly questions and the professional separation), some VAs don't mind getting chummy with fans.

I agree in part with what your saying but disagree to some point. It's extremely rude and a waste of time when fans ask questions like "I wrote a cool fan fic about your character want read?", or when someone ask a question about why there character did something, (in an anime) as if the VA had any control of that.....

Zac wrote:
I think if I were younger and less cynical or easily annoyed I'd probably dig that vibe too.

I don't know about that, I can only imagine the atmosphere at Otakon. Waiting to get into the main hall at AX was hell, the fans I happened to be right inbetween made my wait hell. It didn't help that I had my gf who isn't a anime fan, and all it did was convince her of the stereotype generally assiocated with anime fans. Of course they (the fans near me) were cosplaying as of course the only thing they did was make fun of any one that was also cosplaying.......and you wonder why anime fans gets such a bad name.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Akukaze

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:58 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

There may be the Metro in Baltimore, but the rest of Maryland has either really crappy, or no public transportation. Wink

GATSU wrote:
Viz said "no comment" at the AX panel. And the only chance it'll happen is if the Peppers' record label isn't run by greedy bastards like the ones who owns the Duran Duran songs. I have a feeling the Nana music rights will be a pain, too. They definitely told me that there's very little chance of the Train Man dorama seeing the light of day with its copyrighted stuff.

They don't -have- to include the RHCP song as the ending theme, the way FUNi didn't have to (and didn't) use Girls on Film. I for one couldn't care less what they put as the ending theme as long as I can eventually put an R1 DVD on my shelf. And I don't think the Nana music rights are going to be a problem at all. Just because the music is such a large part of the movie's storyline doesn't make it any different from the music used in any other movie, drama or anime. My understanding is that the music is already taken into consideration with the liscensing cost. And while it may make the price a bit higher, since Nakashima Mika is a pretty big name, in the case of a power-player like Nana, I doubt it's going to faze Viz in the least.

And exactly what copyright stuff are you talking about as far as Densha Otoko?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9