• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rensie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:23 am Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing if Zac is going to review Servant X Service. That it deals with adult characters could be something he'd like.

I also wonder if Symphogear G will be this season's guilty pleasure show and what series will Zac absolutely hate.

He will write something just like 5 at free! because has americanized and adult like characters and 0 or some jokes fullfilled with hate and insults without a true explanation toward a certain part of the community, at standard moe shows like C3 or Ro-kyu-bu or similars. As always, predictable and expected.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:37 am Reply with quote
Gifu Dodo!! was really bad.Instead of dudes actually doing stuff and fighting each other we have them talking about fights all the time,and when fights occur they suck.This thing has horrible animation,and that is not to me a big issue ,Jojo had bad animation but it made for it with style and directing.Meanwhile this thing has a pretty bad directing(instead of focusing on the impact a punch can have,we just see dude falling),bad character designs(Fist of the North Star which started in 1984 had adapted Testuo Haras character designs better than Gifu Dodo!! ) and pretty slow pacing.
Free! should be awesome if it focuses more on swimming competition and bursts of homo-eroticism followed by a rap song or dubstep,and not boring slice of life stuff.I dont know I didn't laugh at any of the stuff that happened.

Last edited by danilo07 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:55 am Reply with quote
Free! looks pretty good so far. Funny, nice pacing. Certainly has a more promising first episode than Tamako Market had.

Dog and Scissors is a bit harder to judge, but with bad humour and a runtime that earns its interest value purely by being wacky it doesn't look especially promising.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:03 am Reply with quote
I'm just waiting for Milky Holmes.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The comparison of Free to Chihayafuru is one of the funniest things I've read today. I think that writer meant The Basketball That Kuroko Plays as this seems to have been greenlit following the amazing financial success that series had. Instead of the dude getting all emo because he went to the USA and got schooled at basketball, this time it's Australia. Yaaay.

I loved a lot of kuroko basketball and am a huge big windup fan. it's a very fun hyper unrealistic show. sure the charcters are supposed to be bushies and supposedly there is homoerotic overtones from time to time (I have really only felt that once). That said I just checked out the ending to free and went WTF! I am sure it will do very well and open up the doors to a lot more conent like it. I will be honest I even read all of twilight, FREE from what I have seen is just to aimed at the female audience for me.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
Rensie wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:

I also wonder if Symphogear G will be this season's guilty pleasure show and what series will Zac absolutely hate.

He will write something just like 5 at free! because has americanized and adult like characters and 0 or some jokes fullfilled with hate and insults without a true explanation toward a certain part of the community, at standard moe shows like C3 or Ro-kyu-bu or similars. As always, predictable and expected.

I expect that Zac will ignore those shows entirely. Why should he bother with them? For the lulz and abuse? Nope. Don't think so.

I'm also predicting a plethora of 2.5's and reviews that say things like "standard", "okay, I guess" and "met expectations,... sort of".
It will be fun watching the forums explode with nerd-rage and ridiculous explanations of how written-by-committee-show#__ is a freaking masterpiece.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:42 am Reply with quote
I quite enjoyed the first episode of Free!, and I'm hoping that the whole bit of Haruka ripping his clothes off at the slightest hint he'll get to swim is going to be developed into a running gag - because it was quite funny in the first episode alone.

I get Rebecca's point about animal abuse in Dog & Scissors, and I'm hoping that's toned down in future episodes as mostly I enjoyed the show so far.

Gifu Dodo is one of the very few shows where I couldn't even make it through the first episode.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:02 am Reply with quote
The first episode of Tamayura: More Aggressive does well to seamlessly carry on the understated but very warm and uplifting tone of the first season. The show is billed as a "healing" Anime, and through being cute and harmless and endearing it's precisely the thing needed to give you the fuzzies. Although familiarity with the first season is not really needed I do recommend that people watch it (the first season) anyway, since it is so good. And it's nice to see the second season start so well, easing us back into the gentle and peaceful atmosphere the show does so expertly.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:10 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The comparison of Free to Chihayafuru is one of the funniest things I've read today.

Glad I could make you laugh. Very Happy Actually, I really only meant the pacing - otherwise at this point I'd never put them in the same category.

Dop.L wrote:
I get Rebecca's point about animal abuse in Dog & Scissors, and I'm hoping that's toned down in future episodes as mostly I enjoyed the show so far.

Yeah, it just...I hope they tone it down. My dog was beaten within an inch of her life before I found her literally on the street. She has to take painkillers and prozac for the trauma of her early days (I wish I was joking), and her tail is mostly held on with scar tissue. One of my cats has a similar story. I just can't get behind anything with animal abuse played for laughs, and to be honest, I barely made it through the episode, even though I love the hero and his (totally relateable) bibliomania.
Sacred Blood

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:19 am Reply with quote
Waiting for Zac's uber entertaining reviews Laughing
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:16 am Reply with quote
Just finished watching the first episode of Free!. I liked it but I'm not all OMG BEST THING EVER excited about it. (Yet??) Makoto amuses me and Nagisa is cute too. The way Haruka can strip at a moment's notice makes me laugh.

I didn't see anything wrong with the OP song like Theron did. Then again I've been a longtime fan of Tatsu's (voice of Makoto, vocalist of OLDCODEX) so I suppose my opinion is not entirely objective.

Also, did UtaPri start some kind of trend with dancing? Both Brothers Conflict and Free! have dancing in the ED...
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:15 am Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

Also, did UtaPri start some kind of trend with dancing? Both Brothers Conflict and Free! have dancing in the ED...

I would say Haruhi Suzumiya started that trend a long time ago.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:35 am Reply with quote
A more accurate statement would be that The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya was the recent trend-setter for group dancing in OP/EDs. Kodocha actually did it about a decade earlier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GVman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
I liked Gifu Dodo, but, then again, I love Tetsuo Hara's artwork even when it's someone doing an only ok job of adapting his artwork. That ED was fantastic, too. The animation is pretty meh in this show, but it's nowhere near terrible as Shin Sekai Yori's. I've never seen a show where the art was so flat-looking AND used all the terrible animation-saving techniques in the book. As for the plot of this, it seemed a bit different from the manga. I skimmed through a few chapters and I didn't really see this. It also wasn't afraid to show a grown man being split in two, but we can't have our violence on TV like we used to.

danilo07 wrote:
Fist of the North Star which started in 1984 had adapted Testuo Haras character designs better than Gifu Dodo!!

They actually bothered to use shading in the 80s. Tetsuo Hara's art is very shading-intensive and I guess shading is just uncool nowadays.

I might actually watch an episode of Free to give it a fair shot. They boys are at least built; they're not those long n' nar things you see in those yaoi manga with the gigantic lips.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Love Lab and C3-bu were both very enjoyable for me. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for them to get subbed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 73