• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NISA Adds Hanasaku Iroha Film, Genshiken 2nd Season Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Dammit, I was really hoping Media Blasters would get this and dub it. I love NISA's releases but I would forgo the fancy crap for a dub in this case. Confused
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Dammit, I was really hoping Media Blasters would get this and dub it. I love NISA's releases but I would forgo the fancy crap for a dub in this case. Confused

You are entitled to your opinion. However, for me, that "fancy crap" is worth FAR more than a mediocre/ junk dub that I will never watch is.

Nice collector's edition release with no dub > "Plastic case and that's it" release with dub

Last edited by Shiratori1 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:

Speak for yourself.......

he is
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:

You are entitled to your opinion. However, for me, that "fancy crap" is worth FAR more than a mediocre/ junk dub that I will never watch is.

Nice collector's edition release with no dub > "Plastic case and that's it" release with dub

And you are also entitled to yours. Don't get me wrong, I like NISA's releases. After all, I have about 10 of them, and I will buy this one as well. I just like the dub Media Blasters did for season 1.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
The Genshiken dub really lost a lot in the previous second season, The mix of English with Japanese came off as really puzzling in the dub.
It worked a lot better subbed in my opinion.
Looking at the chars for this newest season, I am not sure what an english dub would do. It also looks like it would work better subbed.
Tr1ckR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Genshiken was one of the few anime where i really liked the dub, imo the voices fit the characters really well, so i hope they can do a dub for this, if not that's too bad.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
They got Genshiken instead of Media Blasters?! HOT DAMN! Very Happy
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The North American video game and anime distributor NIS America (NISA) announced at Anime Expo on Thursday that it has licensed the Hanasaku Iroha: Home Sweet Home anime film and the Genshiken Second Season television anime series.
This would be a damn fine time for NISA to break from its no-dub policy. I'm delighted to see that other posters share that sentiment here.

I watched the original Genshiken subbed primarily. As such, with the casting changes, I don't expect that I will be able to really enjoy the J-dub and would prefer an English dub.

Additionally, the English dub for the original series vastly outperformed the Japanese dub in the episode of the 2nd season which was Ogiue's very gay, very hilarious (ly creepy) fujoshi fantasy (I think it was S02E05). Since there are so many fujoshi characters in this new series I am expecting there to be more fujoshi fantasy sequences and IMO the Japanese actors just didn't, and I expect don't, have the ability to make them as, ah, humorous as would their English counterparts.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:35 am Reply with quote
As if Media Blasters has the money to pick up Genshiken 2nd Season anyway.

Also, I will buy the Hanasaku Iroha film the moment its released. Though I wouldn't mind if it gets a bare-bones release. Not everything needs to have the obligatory artbook and massive case. If I wanted that I probably would have bought the TV series release.
shavedog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:58 am Reply with quote
I love Genshiken and even if it ends up subpar or undubbed I will still be happy as heck to watch another season. We just don't get enough fun examinations of true otaku culture as a core theme in anime so I look forward to more. That said I wish it could have a more stable adaptation. Im trying to think of any other show out there that has had 3 totally different studios and staff for each season of the show. Now we have multiple N.A distributors for the releases. Not to mention mishandled OVA episodes.

Anybody else out there afraid these characters and the spirit of the club are going to just seem off when you watch it all together because of all the constant changes with the people working on the show? And if we do get a dub would it even keep the characters seeming consistant in the portrails with so much time lapsing in between each release? If its sub only will it seem different because of different seiyuu? I wish the franchise creation into anime could be more stable and at this point just getting a full set of all the seasons of Genshiken together would be what I would wish for.

Last edited by shavedog on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
the skinny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:30 am Reply with quote
Wow, I gotta admit though the dub for Genshiken wasn't rly that great, I have gotten used to to the characters having those dub voices, so hearing that the new series is licensed by diff company (which does not produce English dubs) kinda puts a downer on it.
And even if NISA were to start on dubbing and decide to dub the new Genshiken, I highly doubt they will go to all the trouble of coordinating with the NY based voice actors that did the previous series for Media Blasters since they are in California (and will more than likely just cast CA voice actors to do it, which seems ironic since they re-casted everybody in the Japanese version, whatever.)
Overall, still looking forward to new Genshiken series but kinda sux for the voice actors (both in Japan and US) that were involved with Genshiken before won't be this time...
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:47 am Reply with quote
Did Media Blasters relinquish rights to Genshiken 2nd season? And odd that NISA would go after that alone and not the 1st or 3rd season.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:50 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Did Media Blasters relinquish rights to Genshiken 2nd season? And odd that NISA would go after that alone and not the 1st or 3rd season.

It's confusing, but it is the third season that NISA got.

1st-Genshiken
2nd-Genshiken 2
3rd-Genshiken 2nd Season

And man, I love dubs, but I can't be the only one who thought the Genshiken dub was pretty bad. Half the main cast sounded like they were just reading the script outloud. I wouldn't mind if they started fresh if they got a dub on this.

BTW, I think they'll be announcing Neptunia at Otakon and that'll be their first dub, not this. Not saying Genshiken won't get a dub, I just don't think it'll be the first.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Altacia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:

Even if Media Blasters would have got Genshiken it wouldn't have meant it'd be dubbed. By the way they are talking on their facebook page they are seemingly shying away from Dubs now...

Hope Emerje is correct about Neptunia, NISA and Otakon. haha, Not sure how many series that Funi streamed that another company released physically....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2