• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Knights of Sidonia Anime's 1st English-Subbed Promo Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Eh, could be watchable, but just like I view CG in Hollywood films, it isn't impressive or likeable in anime either.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:04 am Reply with quote
I really don't like the way all-CG anime looks, this doesn't appear to change that for me.

But I still hope this turns out good in every other respect.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
Whoa, now I'll probably give the manga a try before this airs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jet_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:25 am Reply with quote
I was hoping for IG or Bones, but instead we got Polygon Pictures and a full CG production..
Well, to be honest, that trailer does look good. I'm just not as hyped now as I was before.
At least we got the manga..
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:10 am Reply with quote
I tried reading the manga of this. It looked very nice but I found the story to be choppy and almost incomprehensible. Hopefully the anime will fix that.
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:41 am Reply with quote
NOOOOOO!Why did this have to happen?WHY?
I will check it out to see if it is watchable,but is too much to ask to finally get to see my mecha battles in 2D?
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:49 am Reply with quote
Eh. I'm not thrilled the 3D CGI. To be technical, all anime now is technically CGI, even 2d ones. Yet I can take 3D CGI all depending how it's rendered. Certainly Sidonia seems more fitting than Berserk, but those Berserk movies have some damn good animation and make me believe you can render well. Though there are still some parts where it sticks out too much. Plus this production is certainly not going to have that budget.

They might be able to capture Nihei's style with it. No idea. Hhis style on Sidonia is already smoother and different anyway.

Also, I'm reminded by Killer 7 with that Guana image.

Dunno if that's good or bad.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I mean I never expected 2d mechs or anything. I mean the mechs in the manga aren't the most complex looking things ever and boy are the character designs pretty normal compared to BLAME at least. So it's kind of a shame they went with 3d(even though I guess thats what this studio does).

Well anyway, I really hope this turns out well. The manga while not perfect is pretty solid and should appease those wanting more sci-fi anime these days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
All anime are digital now, yes, but things like character line-art are still drawn on paper and scanned to be digitally colored and have other effects added. Or, sometimes, you'll still have analog handdrawn/handcolored backgrounds like we saw with PES (they had an entire video showcasing the process for one such background). I know you know we're talking about polygonal computer designs and how Japan is about caught up with late 90s Hollywood, if even that.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Would be awesome if we got a 2D animated Blame of Biomega. Blame only had one experimental OVA video thing.

CG could be good depending on how its pulled off. Berserk did a fine job. Would've been nice if we got a hybrid thing of 2D characters & backgrounds and CG mech etc.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

CG could be good depending on how its pulled off. Berserk did a fine job
Did it? Did it really?

I mean popular consensus seems to be that it did'nt. I know I cringe whenever the 3d shows it's face.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
While I would have preferred more traditional animation the 3dCg makes sense to me. Knights of Sidonia has a ridiculous amount of action in it. I can't see it being done without a lot of CG unless you have a massive budget.
GhostShell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
I've been enjoying the manga and, yes, Nihei's style of writing does take a little getting used to. From what little I saw in the promo video, I think the animation looks quite befitting to his work and adds a suitable extra dimension. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing the anime when it comes out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1