• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daisuki to Stream Gundam ZZ TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I hope everyone who can gives it a try when it's available. Gundam ZZ is a fun show. I'm one of those weirdos who liked it from the start, and all the way through - maybe I'll look a little less weird after more people watch it.

Well, either way, I'm looking forward to rewatching this. Judau is OK!

Last edited by Kicksville on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
Both Zeta and ZZ look fine on blu-ray (although there's a noticeable difference between the opening credit sequences, which are immaculate, and the episode content itself, which is merely pretty good). Then again, I'm not so into "cleaning up" old footage in the first place. walw6pK4Alo got at the real problem when he mentioned things that become plasticky when the effort to remove all the "imperfections" ends up washing out details in the image (actually the "immaculate" opening credits sequences verge very closely on this, although I still remember them on balance looking awesome, not fake).

I believe the difference between the OP/ED sequences and show is that those were on 35mm, and the actual series on 16mm. It's very noticeable, Zeta's OP in 1080p is orgasmic.

zaphdash wrote:
Live action isn't nearly so forgiving, and yet with many movies they still indiscriminately carpet bomb the film source with noise reduction filters and so forth. Too many people (both in Hollywood and the anime industry) view noise, grain, etc as some sort of intrinsic flaw in film that, thankfully, they can now correct, when the reality is that the pursuit of "perfection" just carries art further away from its audience.

Didn't they give Aliens a blue filter? As for film, they claim "grain isn't part of the original vision, it's just a horrible intrinsic affliction we're cursed with, with so it's okay to remove at will". That's bullshit, and they know it.

I'll take the intense grain and general dirty print of Wizards to the clean plasticity of Aristocats every single time.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if they'll include the Animax English dub (done in Hong Kong). It's pretty horrendous, but hey! It's better than nothing. Razz
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Why are you reporting on this? It's not anime.

LOL. I've always found it ironic that that particular declaration opens the first Gundam show to really plunge into anime cliché. I'm glad to hear it's finally coming out, but there were only two episodes of the whole thing where I really felt like I was watching a Gundam show: the two that cover what happened in spoiler[Dublin. After what had been developed up to that point, I'll admit my jaw was on the floor there.] But overall, ZZ is one show I'd like to see rebooted or "The Origin'ed" or something -- particularly since Unicorn makes it abundantly clear Sunrise isn't abandoning it as canon.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:45 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Wonder if they'll include the Animax English dub (done in Hong Kong). It's pretty horrendous, but hey! It's better than nothing. Razz

I too would want to see this. From the clips I've seen, it sounds so raw in how it translates most of the dialogue.

spoiler[STUPID ADULTS!!!!]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

I disagree. Nothing would be preferable to that dub.

"What about the dead, huh!? THE DEAD!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
halochief_90

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is good news. I'll come back in a year when the whole thing is finally online.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote
This is extremely exciting news, and all that waiting (almost eight years now) is finally starting to pay off. I’ve been waiting forever for Gundam ZZ to get brought over here (legally) in some capacity since I’ve seen Zeta Gundam. I’ve never had the means to watch this series because I don’t like watching/supporting bootlegs and I don’t like watching long TV series on my computer through fan subs on streaming sites.

I’ll never forget year after year of UC Gundam fans asking at the Bandai Entertainment panel what the chances were of Gundam ZZ get released (in some capacity) over here in the States and each year getting the same generic response, or all together getting told before Q&A to not ask about it. Laughing

I’m hoping one day, some company will finally throw us a bone and gives us some type of physical release of this series, because even though it might be the weakest UC title, it’s still a missing piece of the UC timeline that is missing from everyone’s collection, and I hate seeing that gap from Zeta to CCA on my shelf. It would be no different than missing Episode III of Star Wars while having every other one. Bandai Entertainment's sin finally needs to be vindicated.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:34 am Reply with quote
If somebody ever dubs it, I hope it's better than that bad Zeta Gundam dub that Blue Water did.

Then again, if it was better, I'd be bitter than the better show didn't receive the better dub.

Am I so difficult to please?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
F302 Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
[quote="penguintruth"]If somebody ever dubs it, I hope it's better than that bad Zeta Gundam dub that Blue Water did.

The dub in Zeta Gundam was not that bad and I enjoyed it,

ZZ could of been better if had the same serious tone as Zeta

if ZZ came to the states they should include Blu-Ray and the Animax dub
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
F302 Pilot wrote:
The dub in Zeta Gundam was not that bad and I enjoyed it

Come on, the acting was so wooden, it was embarrassing.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
F302 Pilot wrote:

ZZ could of been better if had the same serious tone as Zeta

Oh god no.

First off, I really liked Zeta.

Second and most importantly, Zeta had a serious tone? It probably was lost on me between "KAMILLE'S A MAN'S NAME AND I'M A MAN!", a crippled Jerid being pushed off a mountainside by Kamille and the Biosensor Plot Device BS. Not to mention the entire Reccoca/Sarah stuff as well.

Zeta was by no means serious.

Anyway; Glad ZZ's finally getting subbed legit. Now, all we need is X, Victory and Turn A.
katscradle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote
Good news. I'll always watch Gundam, especially older Gundam.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote
F302 Pilot wrote:
if ZZ came to the states they should include Blu-Ray and the Animax dub

I wouldn't count on that. Animax dubs have never been licensed here, even when it's the only dub for a particular show. There's apparently some weird legal issue surrounding them, making it extremely difficult for anyone other than Sony (who owns the Animax stations) to use them. Their negative reception also doesn't help fuel motivation. It probably would be easier just to produce a new (proper) English dub. NYAV Post is doing a good job with Gundam UC, I recommend them. Though I suppose Blue Water wouldn't be awful, since they HAVE gotten better, and it would be the most financially feasible (though apparently Zeta was dubbed there because of a Canadian voice actors strike preventing the Ocean/Vancouver actors to return).
DTJB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:12 am Reply with quote
Recently finished up Zeta so I'll give it a shot. Might even like it too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3