• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
This thread already got locked once (and then unlocked); I wouldn't want to see it locked again. Probably should switch to a different topic of discussion...

hay guys.

Mikuru PVC figurines are on their way.

Naturally, they come in variant paint jobs in order to mess with collectors' wallets.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
If I had any money to lose, I would've just lost it Anime hyper. Heh, I would just like to get my hands on a lot of the posters and put them everywhere on my school's campus just to get people wondering wtf is happening :X What would be funnier is walking around with Haruhi's version of the SOS-dan symbol tatooed on the back of your hand or something, really get people wondering why you'd have something that looked that bad permanently stuck onto your skin.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I saw someone with a Haruhi Suzumiya plushie at AX. Do they exist or was this something custom made? I haven't seen them sold anywhere (although, I haven't checked any Japanese bidding sites yet, so maybe they do exist).
energydan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I'll be taking a mortgage out on my house when some Nagato merchandise comes out. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Ohhh, you want to see elegance and beauty? Well, here you go!

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1594/1153873608512mh1.jpg

Supposedly this is a "garage kit" which I heard it means it's homemade. You have to love the craftmanship of the figure especially the eyes and the guitar! Shocked

Here's the creator's blog site.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:42 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Ohhh, you want to see elegance and beauty? Well, here you go!

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/1594/1153873608512mh1.jpg

Supposedly this is a "garage kit" which I heard it means it's homemade. You have to love the craftmanship of the figure especially the eyes and the guitar! Shocked

Here's the creator's blog site.

He MADE that?! That's higher quality than something you could buy in a store! That's amazing!

Do one for Nagato! Do one for Nagato! Twisted Evil

I've never bought a figurine or any sort of collecter's item for anime... but a Nagato one like that would be so hawt...[/b]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
He MADE that?! That's higher quality than something you could buy in a store! That's amazing!

It's very natural that hand-made GKs are much better in quality than mass-produced PVCs. Same for Yurie (Kami)-sama and Suiseiseki/Souseiseki twins he made. Frankly, I couldn't find a word in my vocabulary to describe the sheer beauty of his GKs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I may kidnap him and then force him to make some in my basement. With a huge profit margin selling to you otaku guys Twisted Evil

No, seriously, I never buy ANY themed merchandise, but I'd make exception for his. It's really, really good-looking.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
It's very natural that hand-made GKs are much better in quality than mass-produced PVCs.

Well, true enough. Occasionally I see really high quality produced figures though, I was kinda thinking of those; most handmade ones (even among "better" artists) aren't of super high quality, but yeah, I guess you're right overall. It was the perfection in the attention to detail like the guitar that really got me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
If I could read Japanese, I would be browsing that site for more stuff like that, that is just simply amazing work he/she has done. Now if only I had money and could actually find the prices for these things (if he/she sells them) through all of the Japanese :O

This is why I want to learn it so bad, that and Japanese-only games
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:57 am Reply with quote
Apparently there are more being made:
http://community.livejournal.com/sos_brigade/53391.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
ryujin jakka

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote
I had the pleasure of seeing this anime over the weekend at Anime Iowa, and let me say I enjoyed it very much! I hope this one is going to come to the states. although I like Mushishi better I place this one as my second choice to be licenced next year!
kenshin101

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
I finished watching this anime and I have to say that it's wonderful, although it didn't live up to the hype I had heard of it. I enjoy the creativeness and freshness of it all though.

HitokiriShadow wrote:
But giving this anything lower than a 3 is ludicrous.

That is your opinion, I don't think this is true, if someone think it's the worst ever then that's their opinion too. You can't just go around accusing people of sabotage just because you think it deserves better. Here's a prime example, go to the encyclopedia; click on the top ten anime; scroll down to worst rated; check that anime's ratings out. You will find that even the "worst" anime has a masterpiece rating, that's because people have their own view on everything. You're just as bad as he is if you really think that it automatically deserves a 3, because he obviously feels it automatically deserves a 0. It's weird how two totally different people can be so much alike, it truly is irony.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:47 am Reply with quote
I'm talking about technical aspects alone. Animation quality alone gets this series at least a 2 regardless of whether or not you like anything else about it. The animation is clearly superior to just about TV anime out there.

I don't have a problem with someone not liking this (or any other) series. But rating TMoHS "Worst Ever" requires you to either have a twisted rating system (like rating everything "Masterpiece", "Average", and "Worst Ever" with nothing in between) or to just hate it because it's popular. There are series that I hate but I still at least recognize that they do something right or that they just don't appeal to me.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:55 am Reply with quote
free2slap wrote:
when i first watched "harushi", i also put it for worst ever. i believe i watched 5 episodes but after that i said that i quit. how i rate an anime is pretty simple if the beginning doesn't interest me then i put it for worst ever. but after a few episodes if the show gets better then the rates go up. since this show doesn't stand in my criteria for a good anime, so i just decided that i wouldn't continue .and since i could'nt go furthur even though i didn't like it. right now its rate is posted as "not really good

Just using this one as an example, since at least he's truthful about how he rates something. What he's saying is that people that rate like this aren't really helping the ratings sytems, especially when it comes to an anime like this. As many people have mentioned before, they couldn't really give it the rating they did until the very last episode. I'll agree that I will sometimes stop watching an anime because I don't like the first few episodes, but I never go out and give it "worst ever" just because I think that way, since I don't finish it, I don't rate it. Now, if I am currently watching something that I plan to finish, then yea, I'll rate it, and it usually lives up to that rating. About the no less than a 3 comment, he's not saying it deserves a 3, but NO LESS THAN a 3, which I find very accurate. Some people just decide to rate based on their feelings alone, instead of take into account how good the animation, voice actors, and everything else is. Ratings based "solely" on how you feel about an anime can tend to be VERY biased, which is why when rating something you should first rate the other aspects. I gave this a Masterpiece not only because I like it, but because of the animation quality and pretty much everything else. If you want to know how I rate something, I'll tell you. I rate based on Storyline, Visual, Audio, Character Depth, How well it fits the genre, personal preference (which for me, I like everything, so it takes a lot to not get a good rating for this from me), as well as many sub categories to those, such as Attention to Detail and Realism (of the architecture, such as "can this physically happen") in the Visual aspects. This basically means that my personal preference to the anime is maybe only 3 out of the 10 points, and the other 7 go elsewhere, this is to keep the rating an average instead of "I hate it so it's the worst ever."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 54 of 213