• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Trigger to Launch Kickstarter for New Little Witch Academia Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:51 am Reply with quote
Momokochan wrote:

People tend to forget that Homestuck ( a webcomic!) made the atonishing $2,485,506 for it's game. Not even an animation, or something the like. A game.
It would really not be hard to get 2mil for Little Witch.

Homestuck also has a much larger fanbase, though. You can't just say that franchise X raised this much money so franchise Y must be able to as well. Little Witch Academia is fairly niche even among anime fans.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote
Momokochan wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That's what they were given, but I'm sure they can find ways to work decently on less, but not too much less if they want to keep the same dynamic animation going.

Even 12 episodes at $200k each is nearly two and a half million, forget about Kickstarting that in one go, let alone 26.

People tend to forget that Homestuck ( a webcomic!) made the atonishing $2,485,506 for it's game. Not even an animation, or something the like. A game.

Games are far more mainstream than a random anime OVA. Quite a few full tv anime don't even make 2 million dollars in their total disc sales as well... you'd need 5k sales just to hit 2 million at the average 400 dollars for an anime series, and only like half the shows sell that much a season. And you think people giving them free money would be able to come anywhere close to that?
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Momokochan wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That's what they were given, but I'm sure they can find ways to work decently on less, but not too much less if they want to keep the same dynamic animation going.

Even 12 episodes at $200k each is nearly two and a half million, forget about Kickstarting that in one go, let alone 26.

I don't think it will be that easy. It's easier to raise a million for game than film or animation.

sad but true..... I hate the gamer generation, 15-20+ years ago this WOULD NOT be a problem, I play games as well, but I have several times more anime than video games, I only own a dozen or so video games, but I own well over 100+ anime tittles. (legit Dvd's)....
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:59 pm Reply with quote
I can scrape $500 together for this. Absolutely this has my support Very Happy
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Momokochan wrote:

Homestuck is the worst example you could have used given it's rabid fanbase. It might even be more rabid than bronies. Meanwhile Little Which Academia is fairly obscure in the anime scene, especially in Japan. Maybe if this was a Kickstarter to some Dragonball or Naruto OVA it might be comparable, but 2.5 million for a Kickstarter is not the normal at all. The normal is usually a few hundred thousand, which might fund one episode. 2.5 Million that Homestuck got would get you about.. 5 episodes of Little Witch Academia. Not even a full cour. Animation is ridiculously expensive compared to indie games.
Momokochan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
omg you all are a bunch of bitter pants, folks!
I bet you Little Witch will at least get to a Million. If not, I'll return to this same topic and apologize publicly. I have faith in France and their money and fanatism towards anime.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:40 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

2.5 Million that Homestuck got would get you about.. 5 episodes of Little Witch Academia. Not even a full cour. Animation is ridiculously expensive compared to indie games.

If it becomes a TV series, the TV eps won't be as expensive as the OVA ep. They'll use shortcuts. Not every project can be Ghost in the Shell: SAC.
gsilver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:32 am Reply with quote
Momokochan wrote:
omg you all are a bunch of bitter pants, folks!
I bet you Little Witch will at least get to a Million. If not, I'll return to this same topic and apologize publicly. I have faith in France and their money and fanatism towards anime.

Eh, yeah.

I'd be happy to see it pull Kick-Heart numbers.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't even know what the Hell Homestuck is, but it seems like one of those cases of the internet letting something get out of hand.

enurtsol wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

2.5 Million that Homestuck got would get you about.. 5 episodes of Little Witch Academia. Not even a full cour. Animation is ridiculously expensive compared to indie games.

If it becomes a TV series, the TV eps won't be as expensive as the OVA ep. They'll use shortcuts. Not every project can be Ghost in the Shell: SAC.

I wonder if making a Little Witch Academia series is what they want. I've been wondering since shortly after this announcement if they have a plan for this property. I feel that enough of the appeal of Little Witch Academia is bound up in its animation quality that only a film or least series of OVA episodes would be fitting. The cool, but simple storytelling and sensibilities mattered too, but the comparatively luxurious animation gave it vital childlike vividness and excitement. I also wonder if they have a direction in mind for the story. There is clearly at least the idea that more exists of this world and this series could probably succeed with independent adventures or attempting something larger, but it probably behooves them to think about that sooner rather than later.

I can't help but wonder if Trigger knows what they want to do or if they're making it up as they go.

Perhaps the actual Kickstarter project will provide enough information appease some of my curiosity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
I feel that enough of the appeal of Little Witch Academia is bound up in its animation quality that only a film or least series of OVA episodes would be fitting

I think that much is true. It was visual mahou shoujo eye-candy with a simple, but broadly appealing story serving to highlight the animation. Even when a TV series has dynamic scenes, they are usually lacking in frames, unless it's the occasional high budget show, or they take the route of budgeting animation only for the most important sequences with the rest of the show being left to suffer (e.g. Naruto).

Nonetheless I will still support it without worrying about the story for now. Rather, it is if they will be able to raise enough funds to maintain the same quality.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote
It's now up, and some /a/ dude dropped $10k on it. Actually, /a/'s current thread/frenzy is pushing a good bit of money into right now. But still, April 2015 is a long time away.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1311401276/little-witch-academia-2
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, /a/'s like that. I think it's on Crunchyroll, too. I would have really liked to go $10,000 or even $2,000 but I just didn't have the money. I offered $300 anyway.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:10 am Reply with quote
Two $10k contributors courtesy of /a/, hope they don't back out.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:15 am Reply with quote
Three now.
BL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:40 am Reply with quote
They have already past $100 000 currently they are at $102,132. All the $ 10 000 levels are gone I wonder if the people who chose the $10 000 level realize transportation costs are not included.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4