• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Harder and Harder to find Manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faraway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:17 am Reply with quote
I know that Please Save My Earth has gone digital, but I can't purchase digital version coz I don't live in US. So I'd like to ask some of your opinion if it is worth to buy 2 OOP books of Please Save My Earth for $130 ? (Vol. 13 is the most expensive). Frankly speaking, I really want to buy them at the normal price or at a cheaper price than $130, but I haven't been able to find any, otherwise, it's hell more expensive than that. I really don't know if PSME will get reprint coz I don't see it in the "weekly popular Viz digital manga" list.

As I have observed, From Far Away and Red River get listed on the "weekly popular Viz digital manga" list, that's why these two probably get reprints so far. PSME is so uncertain and we don't know any of Viz plans to do so. So sad. Is the US manga market doing good? where is the US economy is turning? if it's good, then Viz will probably consider green light for reprints for many OOP manga titles, same goes for other publishers.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
^I have no idea how the US economy is doing, the government will insist it's doing better even when it's clearly doing worse, it's like living in a world of double speak. I'm not hoping for a turnaround any time soon.

So, one of your two missing volumes is 13, eh? When I first read my series, I was able to kinda choke through it without 13, but it definitely had some major plot developments, so try and read it online or something? I don't mean digital, a less legit method. What I'd do is read the missing segments online, if you truly love the series, then sure, or maybe hold out a bit, hope for a reprint. For a series you truly truly adore, I can say I didn't regret paying $60 for the last volume (#20) of Firefighter Daigo (to be fair, I got lots of early volumes for free, so it kinda balanced out), I love that series to bits! I still think it was a goid, though overly expensive, buy (I was quite pissed to see them frequently on the dealer's floor at Otakon a few months later though. Oh and I've never seen PSME 13, I've been looking for years for someone else on that volume). The difference here is that there are no scans of Firefighter Daigo, trust me, I've looked, and there are for PSME, so you have the option at least of reading online first. I don't feel guilt on doing online reading if I'm supporting the series and would have the missing pieces if they were available easily and affordably, but that's just me.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:34 am Reply with quote
Faraway, where are you from? Somewhere in Europe perhaps? I know someone who's thinking about selling her complete set but she lives in the Netherlands.
perroloco

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I am with classiczawa, also collecting Daigo and if there were any online scans of Daigo I wouldn't care about buying the complete set. At some moment I contemplated the idea of buying the french volumes instead of the american OOP volumes but the series was cancelled in France where the volumes get OOP here -.- epic fail yeah..

So if I were you I wouldn't spend $60 and read online.. Heck you can self print it in a local printer if you want to have it "Completed"... That's what I'd probably do.
Faraway

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I really like to own hard copies, and if I started to own something that I like, I rather own the full set Anime cry so I keep searching the missing pieces.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Faraway wrote:
Actually, I really like to own hard copies

Yeah, I know what you mean, it's just so much more impressive. I just saw this image yesterday.
So yeah, I get where you're coming from. Reading online is my way of making do until I can get an actual physical volume I guess. If it's worth $130 to you, that's fine. Seeing how I paid $60 for one manga, I'm in no position to talk. But of course, I don't think all series are worth it to spend $60 for that one missing volume either.
perroloco

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
@Faraway:
How is a self-printed manga not a "hard copy"?
You got the series online so you can just print the scanlated chapters for that volume go to your local printer and ask them to print it.. I doubt they will ask about it.. You can even costumize it to look like the real deal (like a Viz volume).

So there you got your "hard copy" manga, and before anyone starts with the piracy issue.

1.- Even if you buy that $130 volume no one but the seller is making profit, not Viz and certaintly not the author either.
2.- Is Viz's fault for not having it in print..
3.- Heck, you shouldn't even care about it seeing you are not from the USA.. You don't even have a legal local way to obtain that manga..
4.- If you still feel guilty about bootleging a manga you don't even have a legal way to obtain, buy the japanese volume.. That way you are giving your money to the author.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:03 am Reply with quote
I got this big box of goodies from Tamaria today Very Happy

zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote
OMFG, a Four Shojo Stories! I must say I am uber jealous! At least I have the now OOP They Were Eleven DVD though, where Wendee Lee does this hilarious southern accent for a character named "Frol Bericheri"
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote
I thought you already had 4 Shojo Stories, classicalzawa. I've just finished reading it, and the spine is so delicate, but I'm so glad I own it. I just need to get A, A' now.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I thought you already had 4 Shojo Stories, classicalzawa. I've just finished reading it, and the spine is so delicate, but I'm so glad I own it. I just need to get A, A' now.

No Sad I only have Love Song and the They Were Eleven DVD. I need A, A' too. I've tons of other shiny rare things, but those two manga are not among them.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote
It was disappointing I couldn't find you one in perfect condition, but I guess wanting to find a third brand new Four Shojo Stories for a bargain price is pretty crazy.

(But if I ever find a fourth copy, I'll post a notice here. By my calculations (based on the number of Dutch comic books shops that sold manga in 1996) there are at most ten or so copies in the Netherlands. I've found three (with some help), so the odds aren't exactly in my favor...)
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
Wow!!!! Jealous here as well! I've been on the lookout for Four Shojo Stories & A'A myself!

I can't call myself a shojo fan if I haven't read these quintessential series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:02 am Reply with quote
Well, someone got their wish. Firefighter Daigo is joining Viz's digital offerings soon, it made it into the "Coming Soon" banner of the last Viz newsletter.
chichiriNoDa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:02 am Reply with quote
Can anyone hook me a copy of The Voices of Distant Star? I've read this yesterday and it was such a powerful poignant series!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 39 of 76