• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 5.0 Rollout Date? Features?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:12 am Reply with quote
So we were promised by Tempest that ANN 5.0 would go live to the public sometime this summer. If that timetable is still holding true then that means sometime in the next two months. I was wondering:

1): if the schedule was still holding true, and we can still expect a summer implementation?

And if so:

2): if there was a specific (or at least more specific) launch date in mind.

----------

I was also wondering what sort of features 5.0 would have. We already know that we will be able to change our usernames ourselves, which is kind of neat but not a big change. Are there any other features that Admin wouldn't mind sharing with us before the official launch? Different site navigation? Different colours and theming? New skins? New streaming Anime? New columns? Updated Forum layout? New Encyclopedia entry system? New or better Subscriber perks?

I mean I have no idea what you guys have in store for us, so any info would be appreciated so we know kind of what to expect.

And I'm not trying to hassle you guys, I know you're busy with convention season and all that. But hey, use this as a chance to promote your brand new site version which you surely must be excited for.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Well, look what we now have there at the top right corner of the page Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:43 am Reply with quote
Cheers.

*clicks button*

Oh my goodness, everything's so different. This is gonna take a little while to get used to. However, I'm so pumped for this. If you'll excuse me I need to go exploring.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
Well, look what we now have there at the top right corner of the page Anime smile

I see the same search box that has always been there.
Are you talking about something for subscribers only?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote
He means where up where the Login/Logout button is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
He means where up where the Login/Logout button is.

That is on the left side for me, and there is nothing new in that area.
This might be a problem with the skin that I am using. I will do some experimenting when I get some time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:24 am Reply with quote
It is a link to animenewsnetwork.com/my/try_beta if it helps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote
The ANN 5.0 link in the top right corner is not there in the ANN 2006 skin. Also it's not yet visible to anonymous visitors.

FYI, it's the ANN 5.0 layout we're talking about, so there's not much in terms of new features. It's a responsive layout, and it looks different, and it should work better on mobile devices, but that's about it.

But we're also using a new architecture on the backend, and in time that will help us to add new features more easily and speed up the site. But we're not there yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
The ANN 5.0 link in the top right corner is not there in the ANN 2006 skin.

That was my problem.
I switched to the 2010 skin and the button is there, right where you said that it would be.
Thanks
giseki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:37 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
The ANN 5.0 link in the top right corner is not there in the ANN 2006 skin. Also it's not yet visible to anonymous visitors.

FYI, it's the ANN 5.0 layout we're talking about, so there's not much in terms of new features. It's a responsive layout, and it looks different, and it should work better on mobile devices, but that's about it.

But we're also using a new architecture on the backend, and in time that will help us to add new features more easily and speed up the site. But we're not there yet.

hmmm...if its for mobile devices and speeds up the site then that's good...but it looks awful...imho... Very Happy
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote
giseki wrote:
hmmm...if its for mobile devices and speeds up the site then that's good...but it looks awful...imho... Very Happy

Suggestions or points of your critique would be more beneficial than a negative comment. Wink

People always tend to dislike change, regardless of whether it is better or worse.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I hate the new Wordpress-esque layout. Nothing like finally getting sites to acknowledge wide-screen monitors exist then to have everyone make a hasty retreat in the guise of mobile compatability. So much unnecessary scrolling. The featured column now looks truely oversized.

My Anime2 doesn't seem to work, but not sure how tied into ANN5 that is intended to be. Less of a bug, but there's blue edging on 3-sides of the ANN logo in the top-left.

On the positive side, I love how the Forum fly-out menu was expanded to include the main subheadings now. No more realizing you have to click the header to reach the root menu and then sally-forth from there. The Encyclopedia fly-out isn't quite there yet, and my needs usually call for involing a new tab anyway, but looks to be going in the right direction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1