• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo Picks up Yawara

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animedude35

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Now what they need to do is license YUA Season 2 Laughing I mean I've been waiting for the second season forever Crying or Very sad
DiamondDust

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad they are apparently releasing it in sets. To this day, even with the summer sale that ended, UY is still a mountain impossible for me to climb.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
But I don't understand the previous series preorder pricing that was mentioned in the news. Could someone explain it more clearly?
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Kagemusha wrote:
I don't really consider Keaton an Urasawa show since he didn't actually write the manga, even if his character designs are fairly distinctive.

Eh, my bad. I keep forgetting he just did the art. But I'm sure he and Katsushika could've collaborated here and there in some kind of joint effort.

Actually, wasn't that up for debate?

I don't know if it was ever settled though, but I keep reading that the other guy jumped ship... don't know what's what though

... here's the answers.com entry:

http://www.answers.com/topic/master-keaton

oh well
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
It's nice that they picked up something this old and long and niche, but I don't actually like Yawara! (compared to some of the other things suggested) and I pretty much hate the poster who won the contest, so in a way it's like a sour taste in my mouth Smile

But anyway, good stuff.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Steve: Dunno about the show, but it's got the blandest openings and endings I've heard in any anime series. I'm assuming Viz is releasing the manga in the near future, because I wouldn't imagine Animeigo would do this on their own. It's not like UY, which is funnier than the source material, after all.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I think the main motivating factor here was the contest they had at animeondvd.com (a lot of people were saying Yawara!)

BUT, if Viz is releasing the manga (which they probably aren't... even if Monster is under their lineup), that'd be cool... might as well bring out the whole Urasawa catalogue while they're at it (although... I really don't think they're at it).

Er... yeah, we'll see...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But I don't understand the previous series preorder pricing that was mentioned in the news. Could someone explain it more clearly?

I think that it means that the more preorders they get, the cheaper the price will be.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Animedude35 wrote:
Now what they need to do is license YUA Season 2 Laughing I mean I've been waiting for the second season forever Crying or Very sad

Yeah, that's what I want licensed.

As to Yawara, its not a title I've heard of and as such, not on my "must see" list (which is already pretty long). However, I am glad that AnimEigo hasn't been relegated to just licensing cheap live-action stuff from Japan.
Kickerman28

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
If my memory serves me correctly, Urasawa expressly asked Viz to release Monster before 20th Century Boys, because he felt his art had progressed significantly in 20CB (I don't know exactly why this was a good reason to him, maybe he didn't want the two to compete?). I do hope they release the Yawara manga though!! =D The anime is one of my favorites, it's really good! And please support AnimEigo!!! They were really nice to me when I asked permission to screen anime for my club. ^^ A really fan-oriented company for certain!
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:12 am Reply with quote
One of the best sport titles it's up there with Princess 9 and H2! I can't wait to buy it.
Area88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:32 am Reply with quote
Licensing Yawara is a very impressive move because not since 1992 when they first licensed Urusei Yatsura have Animeigo attempted to release a series this big.

I'm glad i'm witnessing the Animeigo comeback special.
Twage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
a degraing price scheme

Did you mean degrading? So we have to grovel in a pile of human feces to get our DVDs? :p

Animedude35 wrote:

Seconded enthusiastically.
Gauss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:59 am Reply with quote
ShikamaChU wrote:
I'm very, very happy about this. I was afraid no one was ever going to license it at this point (How long did these negotiations last? Years and years...)

They probably waited until they could get it dirt cheap.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:13 am Reply with quote
Very good news indeed. The tv openings of Yawara are among my favorites. I'm glad they'll get an RC1 release - the japanese boxset is out of print.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3