• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo Picks up Yawara

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Area88

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:47 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Very good news indeed. The tv openings of Yawara are among my favorites. I'm glad they'll get an RC1 release - the japanese boxset is out of print.

Not to mention it's over $1000 and one of the rarest anime boxsets released in Japan. Then there is the task of actually finding a copy which is almost near impossible.

We are very very lucky!
coolGAL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:05 am Reply with quote
Well i am glad AnimEigo is still kicking i really enjoyed there Oh My Godess! realese but this show looks a littel boaring but i will watch before i judge and i am glad that some compines are still realesing old anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ShikamaChU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:14 am Reply with quote
AnimeEigo is privately owned by this guy, and he's pretty well known for licensing things that no one else in their right mind would license. Either they're old or are otherwise odd and no one thinks they’ll make a profut. Yeah, they’ll sell stuff, but it won’t make them any real change
He's known for licensing stuff like Kimagure Orange road, which was fantastically popular when it first came out, and is well loved by the older fans, but almost no one else would give it a second look at the store 'cause it screams 'I AM EIGHTIES!' and honestly, doesn’t sound or look like it’s be interesting. Even if it’s one of the best series I can think of.
I love KOR.~ ♥

It's awesome really. He makes no real profit but that’s not what he's in the business for,. It’s still one of the few companies that are run by a real hardcore fan and since it's his company, he can do whatever, and does. He picks the things he wants to license, because he loves them, that would never get a chance any other way.

My dad always described it as :"The closest thing to Fansubbs".
Yay.
AnimeEigo, although they’re not pretty, have lots of titles, or high budget, has always been my favorite.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Shiki: If Animeigo made no profit, then they wouldn't have licensed the show in the first place. The reason they picked up Yawara was that it had a sizeable amount of people-at the time-willing to pre-order it if Animeigo put it on dvd.
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, they've got my money. I've been waiting a long time for this.
ShikamaChU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I should clarify (sorry if that was confusing) Anime catgrin
No real profit to speak of, As in: They don't really make much (not that they don't make anything.)
They never have, at least, as far as I've heard (an ancient anime history lesson from my dad, I have no idea where it came from) He says they're mostly about just giving great anime a chance it wouldn't have gotten otherwise.
He could be wrong, but I haven't seen any evidence otherwise from reading the 'secret history' thingie on their site. ^^
In any case, it doesn't matter ♥

I did know they do all their stuff by pre-order so that they guarantee they won't loose money. Otherwise they wouldn't license it at all. ^^(I should be more specific, sorry.)

Anychu: I just liked how it's still by fan for fan type stuff even though it was the first, Picking and choosing their titles. That's all. ^^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I believe that AnimEigo has had the "option" to license it for almost a decade, because I remember AnimEigo had been name-dropping it as a potential future license since sometime around 1998 or so, possibly even earlier.

Not that I personally care, since I watched a few episodes of that at my old anime club years ago and it's not my bag, but it is nice to see that AnimEigo can still license something.

If Robert Woodhead reads this, count me in as another person who would probably buy You're Under Arrest season 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Robert is a piece of work, but no one can deny that he's a fan.

I will forever respect him for licensing KOR when no one else wanted to touch it, even in the early 90s. It's still one of the best series ever done IMO.

Same goes for Baoh, but for different reasons... it wasn't the best anime by far, but it was an awesome B-anime series for it's time (and the AnimEigo staff even worked with me to get several cels from the series)

I'm also in for Yawara, since they've been mentioning it for about 9 years now.

Yeah, I have my complaints about AnimEigo and some of the stuff they've done. But no one can ever say that those folks aren't true fans.
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Shikamachu wrote:
No real profit to speak of, As in: They don't really make much (not that they don't make anything.)
They never have, at least, as far as I've heard (an ancient anime history lesson from my dad, I have no idea where it came from) He says they're mostly about just giving great anime a chance it wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

Nah, in the early days when they were one of very few players in the industry, Animeigo had a few sizeable hits.....the original Oh My Goddess!, Riding Bean, and, of course, Bubblegum Crisis jump to mind, just off of the top of my head. If memory serves, Urusei Yatsura was one of the industry's better selling titles until Animeigo quit putting out any new volumes for a couple years and interest dried up among the more casual fans.

I still only have one UY TV tape and one movie (Beautiful Dreamer, of course). I....really need to rectify that situation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:08 pm Reply with quote
wow there not just living off of urusei yatsura after all.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm glad AnimeEigo is still kicking.

arent they one of the original american licensers (if thats a word)
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
If Animeigo made no profit, then they wouldn't have licensed the show in the first place.

Yes, but it has been five years, they have made little profit.

However to make money you must spend money, as the saying goes. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Dargon: They do make a profit, but mostly from samurai films. Otherwise they wouldn't have gotten the rights to the re-mastered Oh My Goddess OVA.
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
arent they one of the original american licensers (if thats a word)

Yes they are. They go back to 1989, apparently, which is two years older than US Manga Corps/CPM, 3 years older than ADV, and, I think, about 4 years longer than Viz (which has been translating manga since '86 but didn't start anime until Ranma 1/2 and Mermaid's Scar around '93, IIRC) or Geneon/Pioneer, which would make them the oldest still-active anime translation company, wouldn't it? Pretty cool....

They even poke fun at their reputation with a headline about "Celebrating 17 Years of 'Death of Animeigo' Rumors!" Ha! Very Happy
FuuH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Very nice to see Animeigo kicking again. The little contest they had over at Animeondvd.com was pretty fun, especially considering that Yawara was involved in it.

Now I shall continue to be silly and hope that they lose their minds and decide to license Rose of Versailles someday...

A girl can dream, after all.

I'll dream with you :cry:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3