• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Votoms Series

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:16 am Reply with quote
Awesome news. I've really liked what I've seen of Votoms. It's cool to see a classic series revisited, especially by the original director.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I agree with the above. Let's hope though, that a return to classic Real Robot Mecha for Votoms doesn't mean Sunrise is repeating their same mistakes with Gundam SEED.

Though, ANN, can you please double-check the name of the director? On the home page it has Takahahi listed but in my Sunrise 2001 Animation mook, it has him credited as Takahashi. The ANN Encyclopedia also reflects this.
Area88

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Yawn! I'm fed up of all these modern remakes of anime classics. They've all turned out to be inferior to the original.

Can't they come up with something original rather than rehashing the same franchises over and over again?

Has the concept of creativity in the anime market really dried up or are companies too driven by financial security to take a calculated risk these days?
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote
After all this time? How odd. Did VOTOMS gain lasting notoriety in Japan?
garry
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Has the concept of creativity in the anime market really dried up...?

Yes. Yes it has. Why else would the production houses tireless mine the eroge market for new shows? Hell, why else would they mine the doujin-soft market for new ideas? To me, this is worlds different from the practice of animating manga series; most of the games they animate (with exceptions, thank God) are moe garbage meant to appeal to pillow-cover cuddling shutins.

This is a bright spot in a pretty bleak market. Even if it's crappy, it'll at least be a crappy combat drama. Most importantly, it won't be some X-tan drivel that spends half its runtime on doe-eyed girls talking about baking cookies like some Beat Happening record gone terribly wrong.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I actually remember an interview where Ryouske said he didn't want to do remakes. Guess he must have gotten sick of the wussy mecha pilots that now dominate the real robot genre. Chico was a man's man.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:37 am Reply with quote
garry wrote:
Quote:

Yes. Yes it has. Why else would the production houses tireless mine the eroge market for new shows? Hell, why else would they mine the doujin-soft market for new ideas? To me, this is worlds different from the practice of animating manga series; most of the games they animate (with exceptions, thank God) are moe garbage meant to appeal to pillow-cover cuddling shutins.

This is a bright spot in a pretty bleak market. Even if it's crappy, it'll at least be a crappy combat drama. Most importantly, it won't be some X-tan drivel that spends half its runtime on doe-eyed girls talking about baking cookies like some Beat Happening record gone terribly wrong.

Oh My God! This guy put it all in perspective, I'm sick and tired of the bloody Eroge-conversions as well, they are pretty much all the same show and the whole doe-eyed girls talking about baking cookies part makes me shudder because its so true.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, if they hadn't mined the doujin-soft market, we wouldn't have the Higurashi anime, so I'm glad for that at least.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:44 pm Reply with quote
garry wrote:
Quote:

Yes. Yes it has. Why else would the production houses tireless mine the eroge market for new shows? Hell, why else would they mine the doujin-soft market for new ideas?

Because there are some really good stories in some of them?
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:50 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
garry wrote:
Quote:

Yes. Yes it has. Why else would the production houses tireless mine the eroge market for new shows? Hell, why else would they mine the doujin-soft market for new ideas?

Because there are some really good stories in some of them?

Yes many of which are poorly executed in the anime version. Shuffle anyone, there's a storied masterpiece, its starting to slowly develop a slightly interesting plot where I am in it, very very slowly the painfullness of the script and the awkward fanservice is giving way to something more interesting, but christ is it taking its time. Cliche and boring as hell as far as episodes 1-6 are concerned. I mean at least if the new votoms is cliched it probably won't be as boring as some of the ero-game shows are in the first set of episodes.
wao

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:19 am Reply with quote
I'm not too interested in the fact that it's a remake - but seeing that it's the same Ryousuke Takahashi that is directing and behind the extremely original, realistic and fresh FLAG OVA that's still being released, I'm REALLY eager to see how he'll reinterpret it. With Sunrise's good production power, I'll be extremely interested to see how this turns out.

If it's anything like his treatment with FLAG I'm pretty damn sure it'll be miles away from shit like GSD.

(and garry is so right! Goddamn eroge-reproductions... Although there's two sides to the same coin; while the overproliferation of the anime scene has allowed all these inferior things [as well as impossibly lousy non-eroge-conversions like... MUSASHI WTF] to crowd in, it's also allowed for gems like Kemonozume to slip in... gems which I think, given a different situation, would either have been relegated to OVA or wouldn't have come into production at all.)

(Well, I guess they're just producers in for a quick buck... the eroge people, I mean)
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:59 am Reply with quote
This would explain why there have been so many Votoms toy releases in the last couple years. I look forward to seeing what they come up with.
sykosteve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:28 pm Reply with quote
This interests me very much, but I've never seen any of the original Votoms with the exception of maybe catching a quick glance on the international channel when my tastes were more for good looking (read: recent) anime. Lately though, however, i've been getting into classics like original Macross and Patlabor.

On that note, would it be worth dishing over 90 dollars to buy the Votoms box set having had no prior experience with the show?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MilkManX

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
So its 100% sure that this is a remake of the original show? I just got the new Boxset and its awesome. I would rather have a new story myself. The orignal is incredible and still stands today as a gritty alternative to all of the angsty kids mecha stuff today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
sykosteve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
That bullet can boxset sure looks appealing. And for 90 bux for 52 episodes, it doesn't sound too bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2