• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Scientific Railgun S eps 1-12

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
You know, I enjoyed both seasons of Index, and yet I never watched Railgun; it just didn't seem like my type of anime.

But reading the comments for season 2 make me want to see it, so it seems I'll finally have to watch the first season. Time to play catch up!
dniv

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
So... I like Index I, II. I like Railgun season 1. I love Railgun S more though. Why I like it is what is interesting though Laughing

I've read up through NT 7 + the SS's of the light novels. I've basically tried to read/watch/see everything in this series.

Now, I believe Index III and IV will probably be better than this considering the fact that their plot is way better than season I and II is more than arguably on the same level as this plot which is still incredible of course, but in the meantime I will argue that this is the best animated thing we have seen in all of raildex hands down.

Here are some reasons:

1. This sticks extremely well to the original source. It not only takes material from the light novels for its episodes, but also uses the railgun manga and Index season 1.

2. This season complements Index I, but also is from a completely different perspective. It is not the same season at all. Rather this is from Mikoto and Accelerator's perspectives mainly rather than a certain someone else's perspective. This is also from their perspective.

3. Mikoto's friends' presence here is not exaggerated, something I feared. Culminating in episodes 13, 14, 15, and 16 the intense emotions of this arc surpass anything else in the franchise that has been animated. It is incredible seeing a character go through what you imagine J.C. staff would not dare animate. It exceeded all of my expectations and that is after reading LNs and the railgun manga, so it's much better than any other medium right now at least in covering this arc. The point is that Mikoto's friends don't have too much of a presence at the beginning. If they did, it would ruin everything, actually. This arc is about the intense suffering that Mikoto experiences and its effects on her and her friendships and how it makes her *change.*

4. Who can save her? Well if you've seen Index, it is obvious who might be able to. If you haven't, you might come to like a certain someone for the first time. This person goes beyond and above all expectations in order to attempt to do something incredible.

5. Accelerator has a ton of character development this season. This season really develops him. It isn't just a little. He has more positive character development here than in all of Index I, II (maybe not quite all of it). But here, you learn some important facts about him that you would have never known (unless you read the manga or the LNs..) It makes his character way more complex than you initially assume it to be. If Index I was black/white morality, this is not at all black/white. It's black/black/black/black morality. No one here is good really I would argue: or at least it starts that way Wink

6. Mikoto has an unprecedented amount of character development this season (well it makes sense). Many other like-minded people also get a lot of character development (if you see what I did there Very Happy) This season is not afraid to go into intense trauma and show something far beyond what has been previously touched in raildex (granted this still isn't as Index III, Railgun III, Index IV material ... the more seasons the more character development after all )

6. The OSTs in this season are way beyond anything else in raildex verse. They are crazy. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I rate them on average 11/10 here. They are just amazing. They are on the level of Mirai Nikki/ Sora no Woto/ and other amazing musical animes that just astound the listeners/viewers.

7. This season is much darker and begins to get into the darkness of AC.

8. There are at least 4 level 5's this season shown and a level 0, vending machine stronger than them all Very Happy

9. The images in this season are just unbelievable. The detail put into every episode gets better and better. It is unfathomable. When comparing this to any other season of raildex, it's kind of impossible. Honestly, I'm fine with climax of even Index IV having graphics like this... but whatever, it's awesome. This rendition is very professional.

10. The content is far beyond anything else. The one other thing I like about Railgun S so much is that it illustrates so many important characters to Index for season III and beyond. ITEM is shown here and shown in a railgun-friendly way, but still in a pretty awesome way. It is a good lead-in to season 3.

11. A certain someone's interaction with Mikoto here is supposed to be very important to see before Index III, this has perfect foreshadowing. It is just done excellently.

12. Railgun S blends painful emotion, awesome fight animation, excellent music, incredible character development, complex moral issues, inspirational scenes, and frankly adorable scenes into a season of incredible episodes. The 14 I have seen so far are great. Episode 14 though and 15 I am sure are out of this world in terms of quality. They are fairly clearly unprecedented in terms of quality.

13. I would compare this series to Clannad After Story in many ways at least this season. It has a fairly similar feel (but with a lot more action clearly).

14. I like most genres: slice of life and action and they have both here.

15. I'll finish by saying that this season is what I was expecting for a long time. It exceeded all of my expectations that were already ridiculously high after reading the railgun manga. It not exceeded them... it threw them in the trash. They were inadequate. This season is a new series. It is the start of the face of raildex. Starting with Railgun S, finally the series seems to care about not only world-building, animation, and character development, but also synthesis between the different media: Light novels, manga, anime. This series looks forward to a true rendition of the genius Kamachi Kazuma. J.C. staff has proven themselves to be truly awesome here.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
dniv wrote:
Now, I believe Index III and IV will probably be better than this considering the fact that their plot is way better than season I and II is more than arguably on the same level as this plot. . .

Can't agree on the bolded point. And if/when there is an Index III and IV, they'll only be better if they correct the main flaws of the first two series (such as Touma's irritating preachiness and the tendency to info dump), as the plots were never the biggest chunk of the problem.

Quote:
13. I would compare this series to Clannad After Story in many ways at least this season. It has a fairly similar feel (but with a lot more action clearly).

Okay, I want an explanation for this claim. Not seeing that at all, since the two have utterly and completely different character types, approaches, and emotional developments.

Last edited by Key on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
dniv wrote:

I've seen Clannad After Story as well, and I am also curious about how you made that comparison.
CBongo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for including the episode references for Index; it should be interesting to go back and compare them to Railgun S...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2