• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Problem with 'Highschool of the Dead - Drifters of the Dead (OAV)' page?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zirakuta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forums here and I was wondering if you could help me out. I recently watched High School of the Dead and really enjoyed it. I managed to get the Blu-ray really cheaply so it was money well spent. After watching it though I found out that there is an OAV for it and that I didn't get the OAV with my Blu-rays. I want to go and buy the OAV on Amazon but I have seen in several places that it has not been dubbed yet and I prefer to watch dubs as my native language is English, (I know some people hate dubs and that is fine, but please don't start telling me how you think that subs are better and that I should be watching subs instead of dubs because no matter what people say to me I will never stop watching dubs).

Seeing people say that there is no English dub confused me as I saw here on ANN on the 'Highschool of the Dead - Drifters of the Dead (OAV)' page that it has an English cast. Is this an error on the page? Is it actually dubbed or not? Can anyone please confirm this? If it isn’t dubbed will it be dubbed? I really don’t want to go and waste money on the OAV only for it to arrive and be in Japanese.

Thanks for any help that I may receive here.

Regards,
Zirakuta

*EDIT*

I have decided to include my most recent comment on this thread in the OP as well so that it is clear exactly what my request/question/problem is. Here is the comment:

zirakuta wrote:
Can anyone actually confirm 100% that there is even and English dub for this OAV, providing proof? I have spent many an hour now scouring the internet for proof of this dub and the best I can find are mere allusions to its existence; nothing solid though. So unless someone can provide proof of the dub’s existence, I think that the English cast should be removed from the page to avoid misleading more people in the future.

Last edited by zirakuta on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
There is an english dub included in the second blu ray release Very Happy

Click here for ANN article
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zirakuta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
There is an english dub included in the second blu ray release Very Happy

Click here for ANN article

Thanks, I saw that, but on every Amazon listing I go to I read in the reviews that the OAV isn't dubbed. You wouldn't happen to know where I could buy or watch the dubbed version of this OAV would you? Very Happy
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
this is the UK Amazon site but the region 1 will be the Sam on the US site - if you live there.
Description on Amazon UK:
Quote:
Features
Classification: 15
Language: English, Japanese
Subtitles: English
Running Time: tbcmins

I hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zirakuta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
this is the UK Amazon site but the region 1 will be the Sam on the US site - if you live there.
Description on Amazon UK:
Quote:
Features
Classification: 15
Language: English, Japanese
Subtitles: English
Running Time: tbcmins

I hope this helps.

That is one of the Amazon listings that I already looked at. Unfortunately it doesn't have the dubbed OAV according to the reviews. If you take a look it has 16 reviews and some of them mention that there is no dub for the OAV. Here is a direct link to the reviews: High School of the Dead Amazon Reviews

Know any other places I could get it or watch it that are 100% confirmed to have the dubbed OAV?
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
The user comments for trailer on the Manga UK's YouTube channel seem to be in consensus that the OVA does not contain the subtitles - sorry for my mislead you with the Amazon links. Are you not willing to watch the subbed version if the OVA? I'm not judging if not as I do not watch Dubs.)
zirakuta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:28 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
The user comments for trailer on the Manga UK's YouTube channel seem to be in consensus that the OVA does not contain the subtitles - sorry for my mislead you with the Amazon links. Are you not willing to watch the subbed version if the OVA? I'm not judging if not as I do not watch Dubs.)

Nah, I don't watch subbed animes, only dubbed animes. To me, personally, dubbed just feels more natural and I can enjoy it more than subbed, and after all the whole reason for watching it in the first place is enjoyment, right? Razz
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Exactly! Your best bet, if you haven't already, is to stream it online and if you want it for part of your collection you can grab it on DVD pretty cheap.
zirakuta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Exactly! Your best bet, if you haven't already, is to stream it online and if you want it for part of your collection you can grab it on DVD pretty cheap.

I have never really tried online streaming before. I have always just bought the DVDs and Blu-rays as I can always get them English dubbed and I can watch them whenever I want, even when my internet is down. I really wouldn't even know where to begin with online streaming. Do you you know where I could watch an English dubbed version of this OAV online?
zirakuta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Can anyone actually confirm 100% that there is even and English dub for this OAV, providing proof? I have spent many an hour now scouring the internet for proof of this dub and the best I can find are mere allusions to its existence; nothing solid though. So unless someone can provide proof of the dub’s existence, I think that the English cast should be removed from the page to avoid misleading more people in the future.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:28 am Reply with quote
The OVA is going to be dubbed and released in November according to news from the Sentai Filmworks AX panel.

However, there is no proof yet that those particular VA's will be reprising their roles, so I'm removing that cast information for the time being. Contributors should not assume that the same cast is going to back for a future dub without any particular source. The cast should not be entered until 1) a rep of Sentai Filmworks announces the cast online via Facebook, etc. or 2) the DVD/Blu-ray is out and the cast can be confirmed in the credits.
zirakuta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:39 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
The OVA is going to be dubbed and released in November according to news from the Sentai Filmworks AX panel.

However, there is no proof yet that those particular VA's will be reprising their roles, so I'm removing that cast information for the time being. Contributors should not assume that the same cast is going to back for a future dub without any particular source. The cast should not be entered until 1) a rep of Sentai Filmworks announces the cast online via Facebook, etc. or 2) the DVD/Blu-ray is out and the cast can be confirmed in the credits.

Awesome. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Smile
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
The second UK release of the complete HSOTD series included the OVA - sub-only and on DVD only. The rest of the set is dubbed, so the specs on Amazon will correctly state English Language for the set as a whole. The OVA is available on it's own (again, on R2 PAL DVD and subtitle-only) exclusively from United Publications.

No Sentai release currently available includes the OVA in any form.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1