• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm coming late to this discussion because on Sunday I like to binge watch all the newest week's episodes of shows I want to see.

One thing stuck out to me seeing WATAMOTE. spoiler[For some reason I found it really touching when Tomoko bought the candy bar for her brother. I think it is because it was the one time in the whole episode she thought of someone other than herself.] It made me think that beneath all her awkwardness and paranoia, deep down she is a kind person.
Nayu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:32 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Apologies if this has been already asked, but will anyone do a preview of Kimi no Iru Machi? Fansubs are out already and no American company has licensed it as far as I know. I've heard some rather interesting things about the Manga and am curious how the Anime adaptation fares.

We're wrapped for this season.

Wow, what a preview! A whole episode!

Yes, I am disappointed.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
brankoburcksen wrote:
I know I'm coming late to this discussion because on Sunday I like to binge watch all the newest week's episodes of shows I want to see.

One thing stuck out to me seeing WATAMOTE. spoiler[For some reason I found it really touching when Tomoko bought the candy bar for her brother. I think it is because it was the one time in the whole episode she thought of someone other than herself.] It made me think that beneath all her awkwardness and paranoia, deep down she is a kind person.

spoiler[It was actually two 9-yen snacks, as opposed to her 239-yen pudding, but yeah, it was good of her to do that.] Wink
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:29 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Don't play the first. It is BAAAAAAAAD. The later games improve on it but I hope you can handle lots of ecchi.
[...]
But yeah, don't play the original. There is, however, a remake of it being worked on for the Vita, which should be vastly better whenever it comes out.[/quote]Is that why it went OOP so damn fast? I thought it seemed strange I was having to go used for something that was published here in 2011(I have an obsession/fetish/semicompulsion for starting franchises from the beginning, so I simply went for the first).
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:30 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Is that why it went OOP so damn fast? I thought it seemed strange I was having to go used for something that was published here in 2011(I have an obsession/fetish/semicompulsion for starting franchises from the beginning, so I simply went for the first).

No, low print run.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so the guide is done and the marquee more or less removes the oldest article but isn't it a disservice to remove it from the front page? It's Just the biggest event of the quarter, I'd think you'd want to showcase it a bit longer, instead of redundant anime spotlights which are featured in the catch-all Anime Spotlight list.

maybe not for three months like the Spring one hung around for.... but at least a couple more weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:30 am Reply with quote
^My sentiments exactly. I was gone for a couple of days and wanted to check on what was going on here, I was surprised to see it removed from the front page so quickly. Also kind of sad to see it wrap up before Brothers Conflict oficially streams, I was looking forward to reactions for that awful shit.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:08 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Also kind of sad to see it wrap up before Brothers Conflict oficially streams, I was looking forward to reactions for that awful shit.

Here's one: that shit is awful.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
I know that ninety-eight percent of people have already checked out all the shows they want. But if you want to quickly find out what the previewers gave a show, here is a handy spreadsheet:

Shows are listed in order of how many previewers covered them, then by average rating.

And yes, I did add my own scores, however they do not count towards the averages of the series. I was more pessimistic than I thought I was.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:46 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Okay, so the guide is done and the marquee more or less removes the oldest article but isn't it a disservice to remove it from the front page? It's Just the biggest event of the quarter, I'd think you'd want to showcase it a bit longer, instead of redundant anime spotlights which are featured in the catch-all Anime Spotlight list.

I put it back in the sidebar for the time being. We're still getting used to how the Beta site does things.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I know that ninety-eight percent of people have already checked out all the shows they want. But if you want to quickly find out what the previewers gave a show, here is a handy spreadsheet

That is handy. With the exception of Dog and Scissors and what I haven't seen, I'd rate all the three-or-above shows above all the below-three ones.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:04 am Reply with quote
I disagreed with the average ratings quite a bit. I thought Watamote, Sunday Without God and Fate/Kaleid were all substantially better than their average ratings suggested, and that Blood Lad, Gatchaman Crowds, Fantasista Doll and Going Home Club were all substantially worse than the average ratings suggested. That's a lot of strong disagreement.
Etrien

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:54 am Reply with quote
Usually there's at least one or two shows per season that score pretty highly across the board, but not so much this time, eh..? I also usually only pick up around 4 or 5 new shows to actively follow each season, but so far the only probable one is Monogatari, with Watamote, Silver Spoon, and Fate/Kaleid sitting in my maybe pile - the last of which only because of my appreciation of the Fate franchise as a whole, but I could see myself dropping it.

It'll be interesting to see how some of these get ranked in The Stream.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote
It's not like those numbers were chiseled into a block of granite. Your mileage may vary. Wink
machetecat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:04 am Reply with quote
There are actually a fair bit amount of shows I'm keeping up with this season, and this time I'm hoping to be able to keep up with it week to week.

Free! has cracked me up every episode. I'm looking forward to see where this show will go with the insanity. So far it's become one of my favorite KyoAni productions.

Silver Spoon also looks like it will be a lot of fun. I like the relaxed farm setting, and the humor kept me laughing quite a bit. (Though the egg joke went on for a bit too long.) Some of the other stuff I've heard this show will probably do is definitely keeping me interested. Arakawa hasn't disappointed me yet.

The Eccentric Family is probably going to be my favorite show of the season. It kind of reminds me of a Japanese Meet The Robinsons with a touch of the calmness about otherworldliness that I appreciated when watching Shingu. The combination of crazy characters + dramatic settings + mysteries presented so far has gotten me hooked. I was also a pretty big fan of The Tatami Galaxy, so I have a feeling this show will continue to be a blast to watch.

Watamote I'm still kinda up in the air about. I like the animation, and her interactions with the characters she is close to looks very interesting, however, I also get a horrible case of second hand embarrassment when it comes to shows like these (for example, when I saw her bringing back the duck face at the WacDonald's, I had to pause and walk away for a minute to prepare myself for what was going to happen when she walked out of that bathroom). Whether or not I stick with this show will depend on how much I can deal with her failed attempts at fitting in.

Servant x Service had me sold by the second episode. I'm a big fan of The Devil is a Part Timer and Working!, so I was hoping this show would be in a similar hilarious setting, and it certainly didn't disappoint. The introduction episode was kinda boring for a bit, but by episode 2 the gags had me chuckling, and the moment Taishi said "the nuisance is coming" was the moment the show completely had me sold.

Day Break Illusion I may or may not watch. The concept is cool, and I like the dark undertones. The fact that it reminds me of Madoka doesn't really bother me. Unless it gets SO overdramatic that I start rolling my eyes, or if the story doesn't feel like it'll go anywhere, I'll probably keep watching.

Kin-iro Mosaic WAS JUST ABOUT THE CUTEST DAMN FIRST EPISODE I'VE EVER SEEN!! The attempts at understanding Engrish and Japanese was so damn cute, the kids were so damn cute... I just wanted to hug everyone and never have the episode end!! Episode 2 felt a little more standard slice-of-life moé show, but it was still adorable enough that I'll probably keep watching. I kinda wish the whole show was just like the first episode. I was actually a little disappointed when Alice showed up spoiler[in thier highschool, fluent in Japanese.].. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Danganronpa has so many outrageously crazy characters for such a dark setting. I am absolutely in love with that show from the first episode. I nearly died from laughter when I realized the Fist of the North Star looking dude was actually a highschool girl. If the show continues to be this insane with the characters while trying to keep the plot as dark as it is, I will totally keep watching.

Hyperdmension Neptunia was... really boring. Also, Neptunia pissed me off. She was so freaking annoying... I don't get why she's the main character. If you're going to have a main character be that willingly airheaded and lazy, then aim for a Hetalia styled show- 5 minutes at a time, and don't have all the focus on that character. She'd probably be easier to like if she wasn't IN MY FACE THE WHOLE 25 MINUTES. I plan on seeing another episode or so just in case an actual plot shows up, but if nothing actually happens I intend to drop this.

Finally, The World God Only Knows is something I intend to keep watching. The first episode kinda turned me off with all the exposition they had to do to fast forward to this arc. A friend of mine showed me a couple of OVAs featuring the character Tenri that made a much better introduction to the Goddess arc and allowed the first episode to breathe easier with me. I do recommend checking them out if the first episodes' rushed feeling turned you off. This one looks like it'll be a good season.

And, along with all those, I intend to continue keeping up with Senyuu and Attack on Titan. I also have 40 more episodes of Hunter x Hunter to catch up with, and then I want to keep up with that show weekly. I have a lot to watch at the moment, which makes me pretty happy. ^___^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 69 of 73