• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Yea my thought on the spreadsheet wasn't that it was going to somehow replace text based commentary, but that it would supplement that with a simple and easy summary of the larger number of opinions all in one place. If you want to read each person's take on a specific show, you read their text review. If you want to know generically how everyone placed all the shows of the season, and you want to compare all of that in one place, you look at some kind of spreadsheet.

I am a bit of a math person so number crunching does have some appeal to me, but I also think it is kind of useful as a quick comparison of the full season as a whole, and also allows us to take notice of the little particularities of how the reviewers rate things from season to season.

These are pretty much my thoughts on the matter, and pretty much for the same reasons. People who don't generally find data analysis to be as interesting as someone like me does (hell, I once dreamed of being a sports statistician) won't get much out of the spreadsheets, and that's totally fine; the text is still there for them. Some of us do, though, and can get quite passionate it about it.

That being said, I always encourage people to read the text, too, instead of only looking at the numbers. When I look at movie reviews, I look at the rating first as a one-shot summary and then read to find out why the reviewer rated/graded it that way, especially since two reviewers/previewers can sometimes give a title the same score but for significantly different reasons.

Last edited by Key on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
^
Of course there's written opinions readily available; after all, this is the discussion thread for those opinions. Like I said, the spreadsheet is just a tool to allow comparisons and quick reference. It does not exist to replace the written opinions which are of course the heart and soul of the Preview Guide.

----------

Anyway. I believe I have more than adequately explained why I made the spreadsheet and why I personally find it helpful. Since I'm pretty much repeating myself at this point I'm going to stop talking about it unless anyone has something new to add.
This look's like someone has too much time on their hands and not using it for more productive endeavors. At the end of it all, who the feck cares, except for you? Laughing

Several people have indicated they find the spreadsheet helpful. [Insult removed. - Key]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I just worry that there will be people who place undue weight on it -- on the numbers -- and miss out on something that they might otherwise have tried watching.
Why should that worry you? Nobody can watch everything. If people miss something they might've liked, it's not the end of anyone's world. If it really is something they would've liked, they'll probably be motivated by other comments down the line to have a look, even if it's a year or more later. If that happens to them often enough, they'll start looking at other ways to decide what to try.

Anyone who would use dtm42's chart as their sole source of information probably deserves to miss out on stuff. Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Several people have indicated they find the spreadsheet helpful. [Insult removed. - Key]
We in the UK have a word for such people. We call them "anoraks" in relation to the type of coats train spotters wear.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

We in the UK have a word for such people. We call them "anoraks" in relation to the type of coats train spotters wear.

Sadly, ANN's posting rules don't allow me to use the word we in Canada use for "such people" as Mohawk52. It begins with an "a" as well...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Sadly, ANN's posting rules don't allow me to use the word we in Canada use for "such people" as Mohawk52. It begins with an "a" as well...
You can call me what you like. Just don't call me late for meals. Laughing
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Animal??? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 73 of 73