• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girls und Panzer (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote
dont know, haven't seen those shows.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:33 am Reply with quote
@gingerninja666
It is on Crunchyroll, if you have access to that just try it. It is a really fun show if you don't get too upset about reality.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote
Yeah Christ, just watch it for a few episodes. Having to ask people, waiting hours for responses, for the simplest and easiest questions that can be answered just by watching. It's a simple time investment, not a down payment. It's a show with girls in tanks and it's treated like a sports anime. That's all you need to know going in.
gingerninja666

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Sorry. Yeesh. I just like talking to people
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Watch the show, we will be more than happy to talk to you about it then. Also check out the Wickipedia article on it. It has a lot of information about the tanks in links. They are all based on real WWII era tanks.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
MadMan400096 wrote:
Did anyone happen to see the exclusive dub for episode one that was shown at Anime Expo 2013? If so, what was it like?

head over to the GuP forum on tvtropes. someone heard some snippets.

On the subject of an upcoming dub, I cannot help but be pessimistic. This is Sentai Filmworks we're talking about here. Can they actually round up enough actresses in Houston to properly fill out the cast?
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
On the subject of an upcoming dub, I cannot help but be pessimistic. This is Sentai Filmworks we're talking about here. Can they actually round up enough actresses in Houston to properly fill out the cast?

I think Texas has a decent amount of female talent. Problem is, 60% of said talent is based in Dallas, and generally only do work for FUNimation and OkratTron 5000. Further more, an in-house dub runs the risk of getting touched by Steven Foster. While I doubt he's terrible (he did some good work on Ghost Stories based on the clips I saw on YouTube), there's a general consensus that he's a crappy director, and judging from the first episode of Angel Beats (which I still need to see the rest of, though I'll probably go for the sub), I'm inclined to agree.

This is why I feel that Sentai should outsource for this one. Bang Zoom! and NYAV Post are the most obvious candidates. If I had a say, I'd choose the former, since there's quite a load of talent there (and even more in the rare event of it being allowed union actors).

On another subject, Sentai seems to see GuP as a massive hit. AX tank aside, they opened up a whole site dedicated to it. This makes me a little hopeful for a potential TV deal. Obviously, it's not really "actiony" enough for Jason DeMarco and crew, but I do see it as something that might fit on a kids network (Vortexx and Nicktoons come to mind for me). Sure, there may be edits, but at least unlike anime from companies like 4Kids, Saban, or Nelvana, there'll be an uncut version on video, since it's a competent, non-liticaphobic anime distributor behind it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote
opinions on Foster vary wildly. some hate him with a passion and are very vocal about it whiles others like what he does.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:36 am Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:

As long as they don't get multiple lead roles like The World God Only Knows 1 + 2 (if they dub the third season, they're screwed), there are a few Sentai regulars who can handle multiple roles. The probable roster's not Negima worthy but Girls Und Panzer's a lot easier.

Cast the main group and then the primary hero girls; The rest can be done on a "fill in the blank" basis as they tend to only have a line or two each.

It's still around 50 plus speaking roles just for the girls, right? Good thing it's a short series. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to hear one or more actresses in about 5 roles/spots each.

I'm still looking forward to a dub, Fosterized or not; This is a show where accents aren't only acceptable, they could make the show even more fun. Kei looks Californian to me but Arisu would be one of the three Bs {Bronx, Brooklyn or Boston}; It would make her rant all the more like a total nervous breakdown.

Yeah, supposedly they're all Japanese girls but they're ... cosplaying? ... as these nationalities? Or is it just the tanks?

OK, I'm still not clear on this.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote
@Animegomaniac

The show is not real consistent on the subject of nationality. They refer to the current contests as the "nationals" and state that there is an international tournament as well. However, if the other teams are doing cosplay they are taking it to an extreme degree. On the other hand the MC comes from a German themed team and does not currently act German.

The battle with the Pravda team clearly took place on the central Russian plain. When they are on the ship going to that battle, they remark on how far north they are in degrees north. The location given is well north of Japan and places it in Russia (or Canada which is unlikely).

Since these schools are all floating on the ocean it is possible the Japanese Nationals involve international teams. It is possible that our heroes are the only Japanese tank team. Your guess is as good as mine.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
well, if they do add accents, you can bet Tiffany Grant will either be Maho or Erika
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:44 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

The show is not real consistent on the subject of nationality. They refer to the current contests as the "nationals" and state that there is an international tournament as well. However, if the other teams are doing cosplay they are taking it to an extreme degree. On the other hand the MC comes from a German themed team and does not currently act German.

Since these schools are all floating on the ocean it is possible the Japanese Nationals involve international teams. It is possible that our heroes are the only Japanese tank team. Your guess is as good as mine.

Every school portrayed in the nationals are based around a nationalized tank motif except for Ourai's mix of bad/average tanks. That's fine by itself but the tank commanders also take on their nationalistic stereotypes {well, planning an invasion based on faulty intelligence that someone declared was a "slam dunk"? Whomever do you mean, Japan?} to the extreme degree where Darjeeling and Orange Pekoe seem like characters out of Charles Dickens, from their "stiff upper lip" upper class composure to their "too appropriate for words" theme names.

One take on it is that the ship-schools are all nationalized, filled with immigrants yet all still Japanese. Which they then formed a tank club, strictly of nationalized tanks. That seems kind of backwards to me as if it's a matter of national pride, why turn Japanese?

From a writer's standpoint, I love it as it gives basic character shorthand in as little time as possible {stereotypes aren't all bad} as well each enemy team its own easily recognized look. It's all hand waved with floating ship-schools who could be having a contest based solely on proximity and having the main school being the ragtag bunch of misfits who are using whatever tank is available. Plus, a few of them don't look Japanese either...

In the end, I know it's mostly a cosmetic value to keep them apart from the heroes and it'd never come out and said who's who exactly, if they are. I like the cosplaying concept if only to explain why there's a girl called "Orange Pekoe".

Assumed name, assumed nationality, real British tank.

Seeing how this is a show about girls riding in and on WWII era tanks in mock combat with live yet downgraded ammunition, it's funny that this is the part I find the most unrealistic.

Still an awesome show and my most anticipated buy of {possibly] 2013.
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:49 am Reply with quote
I'm waiting for them to pan out showing the earth and it be chained to a bunch of other planets which are all being drug behind a huge boat. Then the creators all go "Who saw THAT coming?"

Wouldn't. freakin'. shock me.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I just accept that there are contradictions and let it go. I assume they are nationals of what ever country is indicated and don't try to explain why they are competing in the Japanese Nationals.

I remember a science fiction story way back where one character said something to the effect that "I like to try to believe three impossible things before breakfast". This show is like that, it is all improbable and much is impossible, but for 22 minutes at a time it all seems real and that is what matters.

Ships that big (measured in kilometers) would probably be unable to come any closer to shore than the continental shelf.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
From what I have seen there are official Japanese names for nearly every major character in Girls und Panzer. I would assume that these characters are only acting/dressing/etc like they are from whichever country their school represents.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 30