• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girls und Panzer (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
From what I have seen there are official Japanese names for nearly every major character in Girls und Panzer. I would assume that these characters are only acting/dressing/etc like they are from whichever country their school represents.

Wait wait wait. You telling me her real name's not Anchovy? That I've been lied to all this time?

I can never love anything ever again.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:03 am Reply with quote
Nope. Her actual name is Anzai Chiyomi.
Bango

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I'd cry into my pillow but she's on it and that would just make me sadder still.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
MadMan400096 wrote:
I think Texas has a decent amount of female talent. Problem is, 60% of said talent is based in Dallas, and generally only do work for FUNimation and OkratTron 5000. Further more, an in-house dub runs the risk of getting touched by Steven Foster. While I doubt he's terrible (he did some good work on Ghost Stories based on the clips I saw on YouTube), there's a general consensus that he's a crappy director, and judging from the first episode of Angel Beats (which I still need to see the rest of, though I'll probably go for the sub), I'm inclined to agree.

This is why I feel that Sentai should outsource for this one. Bang Zoom! and NYAV Post are the most obvious candidates. If I had a say, I'd choose the former, since there's quite a load of talent there (and even more in the rare event of it being allowed union actors).

On another subject, Sentai seems to see GuP as a massive hit. AX tank aside, they opened up a whole site dedicated to it. This makes me a little hopeful for a potential TV deal. Obviously, it's not really "actiony" enough for Jason DeMarco and crew, but I do see it as something that might fit on a kids network (Vortexx and Nicktoons come to mind for me). Sure, there may be edits, but at least unlike anime from companies like 4Kids, Saban, or Nelvana, there'll be an uncut version on video, since it's a competent, non-liticaphobic anime distributor behind it.

As a director, Steven Foster is very inconsistent. On the one hand, he can produce some truly masterful work, like Le Chevalier D'Eon, the original English dub of 5 Centimeters Per Second, Garden of Words, and the aforementioned Ghost Stories. On the other hand, there's Guin Saga. It's truly bizarre how wide the spread between his good and bad stuff is. It probably wouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things, though; it's equally likely that Sentai will assign Chris Ayres or another director to the Girls und Panzer project.

While I'm in agreement that Sentai's best option would be to outsource to Bang Zoom! or NYAV Post, they usually only exercise that option when they need to preserve the original English cast of an existing property, as they did with K-On! and Persona 4. Odds are high that it'll be in-house.

Also, Girls und Panzer not having enough action to warrant inclusion in the Toonami block? Rewatch the tank battles and try to repeat that statement with a straight face afterwards. There's more to worry about from Sentai's historical reluctance to give broadcast rights to other parties when its parent company already controls its own network.

Animegomaniac wrote:
As long as they don't get multiple lead roles like The World God Only Knows 1 + 2 (if they dub the third season, they're screwed), there are a few Sentai regulars who can handle multiple roles. The probable roster's not Negima worthy but Girls Und Panzer's a lot easier.

Cast the main group and then the primary hero girls; The rest can be done on a "fill in the blank" basis as they tend to only have a line or two each.

It's still around 50 plus speaking roles just for the girls, right? Good thing it's a short series. Still, I wouldn't be surprised to hear one or more actresses in about 5 roles/spots each.

I'm still looking forward to a dub, Fosterized or not; This is a show where accents aren't only acceptable, they could make the show even more fun. Kei looks Californian to me but Arisu would be one of the three Bs {Bronx, Brooklyn or Boston}; It would make her rant all the more like a total nervous breakdown.

Yeah, supposedly they're all Japanese girls but they're ... cosplaying? ... as these nationalities? Or is it just the tanks?

OK, I'm still not clear on this.

Off the top of my head, Monica Rial is one actress I know for sure has the range needed to fill multiple roles in an in-house dub. She did manage to pull triple duty in Negima, after all. Other regulars like Luci Christian, Brittney Karbowski, and Jessica Boone also have decent enough ranges to handle some doubling. In the end, though, even they have their limits. I'm also doubtful of the Sentai regulars' ability to handle non-American accents, if the Infinite Stratos dub is anything to go by.

I still maintain the best solution would be to oursource to Bang Zoom!, where they can certainly tap enough talent to ensure minimal doubling of roles. Don't know about accents, though. Then again, I'm more of the opinion that Girls und Panzer would be better served if it was treated more like Strike Witches than Hetalia (read: minimal use of accents other than General American). Whoever's dubbing might be able to get away with Received Pronunciation for St. Gloriana and a few regional American accents for Saunders, but that's pretty much it. Any attempt to fake general Slavic accents for Pravda or German accents for Black Forest will most likely be disastrous.

getchman wrote:
well, if they do add accents, you can bet Tiffany Grant will either be Maho or Erika

I'd be very surprised if Tiffany Grant didn't get a role if Sentai decides to do it in-house.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I rated it as Very Good, I though about rating it excellent. However, the fact that I rated as excellent timeless classics such as Cowboy Bebop, Lain and Conan (1978) made me think twice about it. I already think that I have given excellent rating to too many series (like Stein's Gate, which I think wasn't better than this one). It hard to find something as entertaining as Girls und Panzer.

It's better than Strike Witches and it doesn't have that disturbing fanservice of 13-15 year old girls that plagued it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
My ratings are all independent of each other. Not only does time change my opinions (the first Tenchi series was my first "favourite" despite now it seeming pretty crappy despite other shows of that era and older still holding up) but I'd eventually end up with loads of 9/10's and 10/10's, each of varying quality.

So me giving GuP, say, an 8.5 or 9/10 has no bearing on me giving another show an 8.5 or 9/10.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
And we have cover art.

Hm. Apparently the dub's being directed by Janice Williams (who directed for ADV back in the day, and did Sentai's dubs for This Boy Caught a Merman and Clannad from episode 13 onwards).

Also, according to the cover art, the rating it TV-14-V, which honestly sounds rather harsh to me, since while the battles can be rather heated, the violence is bloodless and injuries are limited to dirty faces and broken glasses, and the only other "bad" thing I can think of is the bathing scenes. I'd give it a TV-PG-DSV at worst. Incidentally, I noted this at the TV Tropes forum, and I got an agreement, stating the violence was no worse than the PG-rated Zoids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Not having the DVD specials makes me pretty ticked off, as there was some good stuff there. I particularly enjoyed the episode where we learn more about the ship that the school is on itself and just why the schools in the Girls und Panzer are on giant ships seemed like pretty important material that should not have been left off this release. Disappointing.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I too wish the specials were included. However, I'm just grateful I'll be able to own the main show on BD.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Do you guys actually rewatch every episode or just buy blurays for the heck of it?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote
WhiteHairGirls wrote:
Do you guys actually rewatch every episode or just buy blurays for the heck of it?

I could see someone just buying the BDs to own them for a good many shows, but GuP has a ton of rewatch value.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I only ever buy a physical release of a show I've already watched stream to rewatch. That's the one advantage of having a really lousy memory: if enough time goes by, then "rewatching" a show is almost like seeing it for the first time with me.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I have a fair number of comrades who like anime but not enough to get subtitle reading skills. So I often buy disc releases of shows I like so I can watch them with others.

That, and my shelf isn't going to fill itself. A few botched budgeting months blew a pretty big hole in my collection a while back and it looks so empty now.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Not having the DVD specials makes me pretty ticked off, as there was some good stuff there. I particularly enjoyed the episode where we learn more about the ship that the school is on itself and just why the schools in the Girls und Panzer are on giant ships seemed like pretty important material that should not have been left off this release. Disappointing.

It's already going to be missing an awesome song sequence in the Pravda fight, and if the mini-OVAs and Yukari tank lectures aren't present, I'm going to be in even less of a hurry to double-dip for the US release. The mini-OVAs aren't just swimsuit fun. I've already passed on pre-ordering it because it's an ADV release and they too-often get something wrong in the a/v on the disc. I don't want to buy it and then later learn about one of their errors.

Is this really the place for box art? Isn't there some retail thread where that (and this thread of the discussion, for that matter) belongs?

WhiteHairGirls wrote:

I don't buy US releases for the heck of it, although some of them I may never get around to watching. Non-translated Japanese releases? I buy them because I love the shows to varying degrees.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
everything I buy, I will rewatch, and hopefully show to my kids should I ever have some. As I have only just turned 26 four days ago, I've got plenty of time
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 28 of 30