• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation DVD Ranking, July 15-21

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:00 am Reply with quote
Is Spirited Away the best selling animation in Japan, regardless of animation type? Seems to be so.
bigivel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:48 pm Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Is Spirited Away the best selling animation in Japan, regardless of animation type? Seems to be so.

WOW, it seems so, I got really surprised! But I think probably is an error in the value, because I can't see how an animation can sell more than two times "Tonari no Totoro" with only 12 years. If the value is true than it sold more than 2 Million DVD copies, that is a huge accomplishment .
SonDavid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:49 pm Reply with quote
19k in DVD sales the first week? and Blu-rays tend to sell more... but to have 19k just in DVDs in frst week is crazy...
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote
Why are those stupid pixar movies selling in Japan ?
While dvds don´t even sell that much in Japan as it is some stupid pixar movie cracks over 200,000 copies and beats Eva 3.0 and One Piece film Z I DON`T LIKE THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it certainly isn´t something you wanna show to someone that´s skeptical about anime.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:59 am Reply with quote
Toy Story didn't beat Eva 3.33 in Japanese home video sales, have no worries.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:39 am Reply with quote
@TonyTonyChopper Poor One Piece fanboy. Are you mad? Anyway, it's taken ages for Monsters Inc to reach 200k. It took EVA weeks to reach its number. Also, Pixar is very popular in Japan and 3 of the movies they've made have only been outgrossed by 5 animated movies by the same man and company. The Incredibles DVD outsold Zeta Gundam 7-1, which is a good thing, because those movies were terrible and didn't feel like Zeta Gundam. Ironically enough, it's that same man, who tells people to watch Pixar movies. Hayao Miyazaki loves Pixar/ John Lasseter, in the same way John Lasseter loves Ghibli/Miyazaki. Also, while we use anime to refer to exclusively Japanese animation, Oricon is Japanese and uses it to refer to all sorts of animation, so if you want to be technical in the Japanese definition of "anime" it would not be skeptical to show "Toy Story" since it technically is anime.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:18 am Reply with quote
SonDavid wrote:
19k in DVD sales the first week? and Blu-rays tend to sell more... but to have 19k just in DVDs in frst week is crazy...

Fujoshi tend to prefer DVD over BD, so I reckon those are mostly fujoshi sales. Same with Kuroko's DVD sales. DVD sales are mostly bought by mainstream/casual people and fujoshi. Otaku generally only buy BD.

TonyTonyChopper wrote:
Why are those stupid pixar movies selling in Japan ?
While dvds don´t even sell that much in Japan as it is some stupid pixar movie cracks over 200,000 copies and beats Eva 3.0 and One Piece film Z I DON`T LIKE THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it certainly isn´t something you wanna show to someone that´s skeptical about anime.

Well first off, you're complaining about a comparison between sales of a movie that's been on the market since 2007 and Eva 3.0 which came out a few months ago. Second, Eva 3.0 still sold a lot more than Monsters Inc and Toy Story and other Disney/Pixar properties. Eva's DVD sales may be only 171,126, but it's BD sales are around 400,000. Eva has a huge otaku market so they mostly buy the BD version. Only kids and more casual fans buy the DVD version of the Eva movies. So in total 3.0 is around 580,000 so far which puts it above those in a much shorter span. So I'm not sure what the problem is, Disney and Pixar films usually cap out around 100-300K while Miyazaki and other movies can sell in the millions.

Also Disney/Pixar movies in general costs only 1300 Yen, while Eva 3.0 costs 5000 Yen. They're good value for kids if their parents want to them their kids something to watch or whatever.

And frankly you shouldn't care about One Piece's sales. Long-running shounen anime isn't suppose to sell big on home video. One Piece and Gintama are the sole exception in that they might sell 10K a volume or something, but it's hardly meaningful since their money and popularity come from ratings, merchandise, and manga sales.
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:33 am Reply with quote
@TitanXL Ratings=/=popularity in Japan. Japan is not the US. Do you honestly think Sazae-san is more popular than Precure? Considering the fact that Sazae-san has no merchandise and the fact that its manga ended over 40 years ago, I would say no. Also, there's plenty of examples where "high ratings" did not mean popularity and "low ratings" did not mean popularity when it comes to anime in Japan. I'd tell you, but I'm tired. It's like half 3 in the morning.
vashna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I actually don't mean to sound like an idiot, but I was actually under the impression that Sazae-san really was pretty mainstream when it came to viewer ship and that it's popularity more or less transcended all of the usual demographic barriers.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Sazae-San is pretty much as popular as the Simpsons is over here. Its far more mainstream than Precure, which only really appeals to little girls and pedophiles.
vashna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
Though I knew what Precure was, I never really saw a whole lot of artwork from the show. Having done a quick search on Bing images, I think your estimation of the fan base is pretty accurate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1