• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Flowers of Evil Blu-ray/DVD Delayed Until Further Notice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:18 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
configspace wrote:

First, under 3000 copies/vol is very low. Nowhere near enough to recoup costs.

An yet, there lots of anime that does between 2500-3500 and that get sequels and that keep coming, you know generic, pointless, just one more anime to the pile.

Do you know why I said 2500-3000? Precisely for what you said, low sales, even when following the generic manga visual style, the story, as it was, it would have been pretty much just one more anime, with low sales, to be forgotten immediately with the next pointelss generic anime.

Yes, there are shows that sold in the 2000s range that have gotten sequels.

I cannot think of a single show that sold in the sub-1000 range that then got a sequel.
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Oh they'll probably fart out a season two (and lord knows have it be 12 episodes of Nice Boat with the soundtrack calling the viewer a f'face or something stupid) inspite of what the numbers tell.

And again, how are you so sure that that they give a damn about, at this time, imaginary numbers?

Fencedude5609 wrote:

I cannot think of a single show that sold in the sub-1000 range that then got a sequel.

Same as above, you seem, so sure, AnH cares so much about disc sales, my initial question remains, if they wanted disc sales, even a kid know what needed to be done, and yet, for your dismay, the anime in the form we know was given the GO!

You seem as sure as when you said, that FREE CM would NEVER be an anime, that we were delusional and knew nothing of the anime industry, that it was merely a CM and they NEVER become anime right? Laughing

And let me refresh your memory, coming from someone that basically claims to know how industry works and never have seen a series with disc sales in the 500-1000+ disc sales get a sequel, let me name the most recent example: there is Chihayafuru S2 that was given the go despite abysmal disc sales. Because you know, even late night anime does not 100% of the time depend on disc sales, there are always exceptions.

But I am not even arguing about AnH getting a sequel or not. I would say it wont but I wont assure it.

Last edited by dan9999 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:53 pm; edited 6 times in total
danilo07

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I have checked now and FoE is Kodansha property,and Kodansha doesn't give a damn about anime sales.For example second season of Date A Live was green-lighted before the BDs started selling,this happened because LN sales increased.By that logic there is a chance FoE will get second season if manga sales increased,and they did they are 4 times bigger then they were before.Will this be enough?I dont know,I hope so.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
Oh they'll probably fart out a season two (and lord knows have it be 12 episodes of Nice Boat with the soundtrack calling the viewer a f'face or something stupid) inspite of what the numbers tell.

And again, how are you so sure that that they give a damn about, at this time, imaginary numbers?
There's this little thing known as money and, oddly enough, no matter what kinda high falutin arthouse hippie nonsense you believe in (like not animating or designing your shitty little cartoon worth two hot shits), you need it to do much of anything animation wise and people who lose a lot of cash, as will be the case with these darwin award winners, tend to not be given more of it at a later juncture.

Unless you're stupid enough to fund a second season of this nonsese at which point, good luck, I'll see your corpse's indent on the ground.

danilo07 wrote:
I have checked now and FoE is Kodansha property,and Kodansha doesn't give a damn about anime sales.For example second season of Date A Live was green-lighted before the BDs started selling,this happened because LN sales increased.By that logic there is a chance FoE will get second season if manga sales increased,and they did they are 4 times bigger then they were before.Will this be enough?I don't know,I hope so.
Unless those are the GN's those sales could easily be atributated to Attack On Titan. I mean if they are, great, the cartoon so shit people will read the manga. Job done, I suppose.
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I have checked now and FoE is Kodansha property,and Kodansha doesn't give a damn about anime sales.For example second season of Date A Live was green-lighted before the BDs started selling,this happened because LN sales increased.By that logic there is a chance FoE will get second season if manga sales increased,and they did they are 4 times bigger then they were before.Will this be enough?I don't know,I hope so.

Exactly this is one instance in which discs sales would matter nothing. A couple AnH manga volumes did make it to a couple top manga sellers lists but who knows, have not the data of sales when there was no anime to affirm or not that the manga sales increased.
dan9999

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
danilo07 wrote:

Exactly this is one instance in which discs sales would matter nothing. A couple AnH manga volumes did make it to a couple top manga sellers lists but who knows, have not the data of sales when there was no anime to affirm or not that the manga sales increased.

@Conan-san

And you speak out of your hate.

Fact remains you (and noone) have absolutely no idea what are the sources of revenue of Aku no hana, plain and simple.

Theres 2 options, the creators are in fact stupid enough to do this expecting to get revenue form disc sales out of the same fans they expected to hate it a rage on it, thou, highly doubtful as the rage, hate was expected and addressed. Or simply they had other sources of revenue, that even with low disc sales it would allow them to still green lit the anime as we know it.

This is why noone with a bit of objectivity ===and leaving aside its hate for something that did not cater their tastes ==== can claim that the highly possible, almost surely low disc sales = commercial failure with full certainty.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Hayate keeps getting them, but I suppose it's basically just an advertisement for the manga at this point.

dan9999 wrote:
And let me refresh your memory, coming from someone that basically claims to know how industry works and never have seen a series with disc sales in the 500-1000+ disc sales get a sequel, let me name the most recent example: there is Chihayafuru S2 that was given the go despite abysmal disc sales. Because you know, even late night anime does not 100% of the time depend on disc sales, there are always exceptions.

Chihayafuru's manga circulation quadrupled because of the anime, so making more was viable. I doubt that same kind of boost will happen to Aku no Hana. Oh, and the first season did actually sell in the 2000s range. Not Fractale levels of failure, not great, but combined with the revenue elsewhere, decent enough.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
There's this little thing known as money and, oddly enough, no matter what kinda high falutin arthouse hippie nonsense you believe in (like not animating or designing your shitty little cartoon worth two hot shits), you need it to do much of anything animation wise and people who lose a lot of cash, as will be the case with these darwin award winners, tend to not be given more of it at a later juncture.

Unless you're stupid enough to fund a second season of this nonsese at which point, good luck, I'll see your corpse's indent on the ground.

You know, we really don't need this kind of over-the-top angry rage-filled hatred about any subject on these forums.

Gonna give you 3 months off so you can cool down and maybe see someone about those rage issues. Yeesh.
Stealth00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
YamadaKun wrote:
@Utsuro no Hako There have been loads of examples. Big O, Ghost in the Shell 1995, Kiki's Delivery Service, Macross II, Macross Plus, Gundam Wing, Hellsing, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop(sold a lot, but not very popular), Dragon Ball GT(even though GT sold a lot in Japan as well), Dragon Ball Z(sold loads in Japan as well), Escaflowne, FLCL, Black Lagoon, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu-Yu Hakusho, Inuyasha, Tenchi Muyo, Pokemon(for sure), original Yu-Gi-Oh, SAC series, Akira, Advent Children and loads more. I'm not going to list any more.

Yeah, you're gonna have to provide some sources for that. Some are believable like shows that flopped big time and no one cares about in Japan like Big O and Trigun, but you can't honestly suggest stuff like Dragonball, Pocket Monsters, and Yu-Gi-Oh are more popular in America given how huge they are in Japan (especially in the later two's cases where the anime in America is regulated to terrible timeslots on Toonzai and Cartoon Network and may as well just be dead for all it matters) Dragonball is a dang cultural icon in Japan and they get tons of stuff for it America will never see. And Macross... does America even get that many Macross releases? I thought we just cash in on Robotech nostalgia every so often when Harmony Gold's bank account gets low.

I think you're underestimating the American anime boom. In the ANNcast with the Geneon guy IIRC he said they sold over 1 million copies of the first volume of Pokemon.

Don't forget that popularity in Japan does not translate into DVD sales. Look at Naruto or One Piece DVD numbers. As you yourself say, they get tons of stuff America will never see, and that is where the money is. This shouldn't really be a foreign concept as before the home video market became affordable in America with DVD kids shows were also just an advertisement for toys.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
...but you can't honestly suggest stuff like Dragonball, Pocket Monsters, and Yu-Gi-Oh are more popular in America...

I believe they were specifically referring to home video sales, not plain old popularity. And given how many times FUNimation has released and re-released Dragonball Z, I'd say America wins hands down on that front.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3