• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Two Shrewd Dudes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Great pod-cast as usual but i do want to adress a few things on watamote.

Hmm watamote as zac stated it does hit that personality trait on the head. He** I was a-lot like her and still go through these issues however I do get a laugh or chuckle from the series and find it as a comedy. This is due in part of my ability to identify with her as a person and the face I can look back on those experiences I went through and just laugh.

Tomoka in general is just as stated a broken person however watching it I feel pity and want to see this character to find some happiness like I've been able to do. I'm not really sure if the adaption will go anywhere or not on addressing her social anxiety disorder. It is still at wait and see period and how the production company chooses to handle it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for answer my question for former BEI Sunrise titles. I personally want all of them for release. Except for Brain Powered.

I think Shawne Kleckner said on twitter that Cat's Eye was getting re-translated and re-subtitled for the new release. I hope really hope someone gets Orguss and the Orguss 02 ova.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Great pod-cast as usual but i do want to adress a few things on watamote.

Hmm watamote as zac stated it does hit that personality trait on the head. He** I was a-lot like her and still go through these issues however I do get a laugh or chuckle from the series and find it as a comedy. This is due in part of my ability to identify with her as a person and the face I can look back on those experiences I went through and just laugh.

Tomoka in general is just as stated a broken person however watching it I feel pity and want to see this character to find some happiness like I've been able to do. I'm not really sure if the adaption will go anywhere or not on addressing her social anxiety disorder. It is still at wait and see period and how the production company chooses to handle it.

There was a bit of sunshine in ep 3, though Tomoko didn't realize it. The relationship with her brother is good too
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I'd agree that Flowers of Evil isn't complex. I thought the character's actions imply a lot about social, intellectual and (especially) sexual repression in teenagers that age without really being super-obvious about it.

I saw Only God Forgives and reviewed it on my own blog. I went into it wanting to like it, and it looks absolutely gorgeous, but I ended up concluding that it puts on a hollow veneer of being an "art" movie by taking bits and pieces from other films without really understanding what made them work, and addresses themes that aren't very interesting or complex. I kind of hate to say that since it makes me sound like I just "don't get it" or whatever (and maybe I don't), but it really did just seem to be trying too hard without delivering anything of substance.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:00 pm Reply with quote
-Zac, as another kaiju fan I take offense that you have mixed up Ghidorah, Godzilla's ultimate rival, with Guiron, who was the knife-headed kaiju in one of the Gamera movies. Not knowing Guiron's name is understandable, but confusing him with Ghidorah is an insult to everyone's favorite three-headed monster.

But, seriously, Pacific Rim was an awesome film. I can understand people wanting to ID as many things about it to Evangelion, but it really just shows that they should probably watch a little more mecha if all one sees is Eva in Pacific Rim. I loved the Mazinger reference when Gypsy Danger's head is lowered onto the body, I loved the Getter reference in Crimson Typhoon, I loved (what I felt was) the Daimos reference in how the pilots oeprated their Jaegers, I loved all the attention to detail the movie had (read some of the things people have pointed out in regards to the crazy visual storytelling the movie does), and overall it was definitely the funnest movie I have seen in a long time.

-Be careful about talking about how bad Kenya Boy is, Justin... If Mad Bull 34 has been doing well Discotek might possibly be interested in getting it.

-I'm similar to Zac when it comes to Japanese, though I only had one semester of it in college; anything else I know comes from my own personal learning. I can handle gana & kana just fine, but kanji is rough... Really rough. But from a listening perspective I can do well enough, depending on the title. I've ended up reviewing a few animes on my blog through "raw" means (i.e. no subtitles at all), and I can usually understand enough to make my way through it & know what's going on & why. Granted, some titles are tougher to get through than others (Gundoh Musashi [though there's other reasons for that, too], Kochikame the Movie 2), but some are pretty easy to follow (Ring ni Kakero 1: Sekai Taikai-hen, the Rokudenashi BLUES animes). It all depends on the title in the end.

Nice episode, guys. Here's hoping to finally meet you at Otakon!
NeySnow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I am enjoying Watamote. I get that it is taking a look at something depressing. But, even if her character is depressing, some of her thoughts and jokes are funny.

Also, thankyou for addressing 4K. I wish companies would stop trying to push for new sets etc. There is no point in 4K for the home.
LeonardRhine82

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Nice podcast, guys. I had the same problem with Watamote.

I don't find in Free anything diferent of other Kyoto Animation shows. It's pretty much what they usually do, and do well, only pandering towards different demographic.

Maybe i'm missing something, i don't know.[/i]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Thoroughly loved Pacific Rim, it was Mazinger Z Meets Godzilla: the live-action film. I think Del Toro had tons of other inspirations going in, possibly even Evangelion to a small degree, but it was seriously Nagai that I felt he struck the closest to. It's a buy on Blu-Ray film for me, when I usually just either see stuff in theaters or rent after the fact.

Monster designs were quite different if you actually see them lit in, like in the art book, but definitely hard to pick out individually when all of their battle scenes are either in the dark of night or the cover of water. I absolutely agree that the film needs more broad daylight fights, or at least shots of robots where they can see in full.

I saw it in Cinemark's "LIEMAX" Anime hyper screen, and I agree that the screen may be too large unless you're in the last row, and that the darker screen doesn't help tremendously, but I don't regret the decision either. It may be worth to go back and see in 2D, even if it'll be in smaller auditorium and smaller screen. The theater was empty though, I think it was just me, a dad and his two kids, another dad and his kid, and some other couple. And maybe some more people in the balcony, but I did catch a mid-week matinee because I prefer empty screenings.

I just saw Badlands recently, working my way through Malick's career back and forth through the decades. The guy definitely knows how to direct artfully, but I'm still not sold on his writing. Of what I seen so far, Badlands seems to be the most full of actual meaningful characterization and narrative.
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I know a lot of Watamote fans from the show's premiere and internet discussion, and I think the entire appeal of the show is how much you can identify with her, and how much you can laugh at yourself.

The show really doesn't do anything with its premise, which is true, but there's something so cathartic about seeing someone go through those experiences. For those types, the show is hilarious and for me, even heartwarming.

Maybe it's like reference humor for the socially awkward, but instead of "remember this 1980s sitcom" it's more like "remember when this happened to you?" And you do, and if you can laugh, you laugh. And if you can't think it's funny, that's an equally valid response.

But it's very much not for all tastes. I'm amazed it's as popular as it is.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Some of the Kaiju in the final battle are kinda generic. Up until that point they'd all been really distinct I thought. Loved the battle of Hong Kong. Kinda almost wished the movie had ended there. Still, like you said, minor complaints. Really fun movie overall.

I don't know. I think Watamote is kinda funny in a dark way. It's more of a sad, head shaking humor than a laugh out loud humor but still. Although I agree. If it's just nothing but episodic sameness I'm gonna be disappointed.

For certain people, industrial lubricant drama is relationship drama. If ya know what I mean.

Really? I find the 1080p on Crunchyroll does look slightly better. Not a lot by any means but a marginal improvement. I do play my streams on my bigscreen TV via HDMI though.

I'd rather a clean picture than a sharp one honestly.

Flowers probably won't get a 2nd season but who knows really. Depends if the manga gets a sales bump. I wouldn't actually be surprised though. People might not like the anime but all the outrage over it has sure raised the profile of the manga.

I guess if I'm gonna put a positive spin on it I can speak enough Japanese to sometimes convince people who don't speak Japanese that I do. Domo tashi neko konichi wa ramen.

Yeah, the victimization is just the worst. I can even tolerate the power fantasies to some degree. When they're at least not mean spirited or rapey in nature I don't think that's especially bad. But this growing (?) focus on victimization is just creepy as hell.

What actually puts me off sports anime is that it isn't like real sports. I like actual sports. The dramatization usually just feels fake to me though.

The first episode of Madoka isn't that interesting. It's okay. There's a very nice atmosphere. And of course the show overall is fantastic.

I'm desperate for some BDs of those late 90s shows that I love. Bebop obviously. Berserk. Gotta have Berserk. Big O would be nice too. And seriously...how is it that there isn't even an Evangelion BD in Japan? I could probably live without Trigun though. Love the show but I suspect the more blur the better with it. Laughing I'd buy a lot of early 00s stuff too like RahXephon, Hellsing, and Wolf's Rain (although I'm not sure how useful it would be for those early digital shows).
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
It really angers me to see people go into Pacific Rim and then claim that its a copy of Evangelion because that's the only mecha series they saw that has monsters fighting giant robots. Just kind of tells you how limited people's exposure to mecha anime is. Its basically Evangelion or Gundam Wing or they don't know anything about it.

Outside of being disappointed by the climax I thought Pacific Rim was great. I think the Australian mecha could have used some special attacks of its own but that's nitpicking.

Haven't checked out any new anime, outside of one episode of Gifu Dodo, and I still need to go check out the last half of The Devil is a part timer and Majestic Prince.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I think 4k is great for restoration work, as in what the size of the film transfer will be before being shrunk down to 1920x1080. Since it's not forcing me to buy a new disc format or new TV, I don't see any negatives for doing that, but I do agree on trying to push it so hard that we have to dump our shiny new 1080p sets.

On the nostalgia wave, it has a also be something people are even aware exists. Creamy Mami to an extent possesses, but who's even heard of Blue Blink? Who gives a shit about Bander Book or those other old ass films? There has to be some bit of popularity there in the first place for a nostalgia wave to even take hold. Like the Unicorn OVAs, Yamato 2199 is doing a damn good job finding a theater and home video audience, and the new expensive-looking Harlock film is coming out soon, so I believe anime is on another 70s nostalgia binge, but the shows have to be updated and good enough on their own to succeed. Or they can just go their own route, like Casshern SINS and Gatchaman Crowds, using established names but not following in tone at all.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Does Pacific Rim get 'spoilered' in this ep. I'd like to have a listen but I haven't seen it yet.

Obviously I haven't listened yet, but I have watched Watamote. Don't know if I plan to follow it. I'm not finding the relentless cluelessness that funny. Kinda icky actually. I keep dropping out in the middle of episodes.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
ABCBTom wrote:
I know a lot of Watamote fans from the show's premiere and internet discussion, and I think the entire appeal of the show is how much you can identify with her, and how much you can laugh at yourself.

The show really doesn't do anything with its premise, which is true, but there's something so cathartic about seeing someone go through those experiences. For those types, the show is hilarious and for me, even heartwarming.

Maybe it's like reference humor for the socially awkward, but instead of "remember this 1980s sitcom" it's more like "remember when this happened to you?" And you do, and if you can laugh, you laugh. And if you can't think it's funny, that's an equally valid response.
But it's very much not for all tastes. I'm amazed it's as popular as it is.

I think the popularity lies in two different groups of people. Part of it has to do with there are alot of people like that went through or are currently going through what tomoka is dealing with "my self included". I think the second part has to do with that some people are just getting a kick out seeing a anime girl that isn't happy go-lucky all the time or your typical stereotype MC lead.

Still with that said from some of the latter chapters there is some off
co lour humor spoiler["like her mom walking in catching her playing a BL game and well you know"] and it will get rather depressing on parts that make it very, very hard to watch. I love this series so much and that isn't going to change. Still I do understand why so many can not watch this but I would at least say to those who haven't give it a shot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I hope the podcast's title was intentionally playing off of this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2