• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Wanna Be the Strongest in the World' Female Wrestling Anime's 1st Animated Promo Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
The Japanese have a very specific term for this sort of fetish, I believe it's リョナ. This show seems specifically built around hitting that particular sub-culture.

It's mostly built on the women's pro-wres fascination and video games related to that. I'd be surprised to see if they damage themselves seriously enough in this show to where medical attention would be needed, like Wanna-Be's showed.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

on the other shows like this and queen's blade have no redeeming features, its literally a show about eye candy and putting women into questionable costume and having them fight or some other activity, but usually with little to no overall plot or anything really.

Yeah, about that....

I doubt you've seen much of it at all.
Probably didn't even watch Season 2 at that.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I think the point here was to outline to story for us, and who's going to pay attention to that if something is actually happening in the ring?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Do you honestly think anybody will be watching this for the story?
taster of pork

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Looks like another tenjou tenge style anime.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
That was a little uncomfortable to watch, which was probably exacerbated by my inability to understand the dialogue. For my own sake, I shall assume that she was giving a brief introduction to Heidegger.

Well, now I'm just sad. I don't know much about Heidegger and I just missed my chance.

It was also dull to watch, which was also probably exacerbated by my inability to understand the dialogue. I would hope, for the sake of anybody watching this, that they just looped some spare footage together specially for this and they won't pull anything this cheap and boneheaded in the actual show. The notion of lot of stiffly animated boobs on a loop set to pained moans and squeals has a distinct sad desperation about it.

Some people, of which Japan seems to have a larger proportion of than most nations, seem to find some kind of satisfaction in seeing or hearing women in states of distress. My reaction is rather the opposite. I think that's what would probably bother me most about this series. I might be amenable to a show about sexy women wrestling, but not like this.

So, ick ick eww no, pass for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I know they are different mediums, but since the Dragon Crown review and game came out this week, just as a general thought, where is the outcry of objectification of women over shows like this, or Queen's Blade, or frankly any number of anime.

I mean a video game has one "questionable" aspect but is otherwise a great game gets quite a bit of criticism; on the other shows like this and queen's blade have no redeeming features, its literally a show about eye candy and putting women into questionable costume and having them fight or some other activity, but usually with little to no overall plot or anything really.

And for the record if they were going to make a show about women's wrestling El Pactio is a much much better show.

I couldn't agree with you more in this, actually.

I was really psyched to see a wrestling anime featuring strong female characters and some hotblooded competition. Then I see this promo - the beach ball-sized tits, the suggestive sounds, and the uniforms (Because that is what female competitors wear. Riiiiight).

My heart sank. I am utterly disgusted by how this show just seems to waste the potential it has to be a great sports anime. Evil or Very Mad
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I was really psyched to see a wrestling anime featuring strong female characters and some hotblooded competition. Then I see this promo - the beach ball-sized tits, the suggestive sounds, and the uniforms (Because that is what female competitors wear. Riiiiight).

My heart sank. I am utterly disgusted by how this show just seems to waste the potential it has to be a great sports anime.

Joushi pro-wres isn't what you'd call normal competition.

What potential? Any series has the potential to be the best, or worst, but it's no guarantee. It could have been a serious wrestling anime but still sucked because lack of decent animation, boring characters, boring fights, stupid story progression, and so on.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:53 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'd be surprised to see if they damage themselves seriously enough in this show to where medical attention would be needed, like Wanna-Be's showed.

26 years have passed since Wannabe's release and since then I have yet to see *one* anime where buffed & attractive heroines do some real damage in a melee fight. By the character designs and the preview it seems it will be a barbie doll moan-fest where not even one of them has real abs, let alone something akin to a bicep, this is depressing, Mikasa Ackerman has shown your main heroine can look strong/attractive and not hurt potential manga or anime sales, Dropped before it even starts.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Banjo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
what is sexy in those 40 years old mothers boobs.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
26 years have passed since Wannabe's release and since then I have yet to see *one* anime where buffed & attractive heroines do some real damage in a melee fight. By the character designs and the preview it seems it will be a barbie doll moan-fest where not even one of them has real abs, let alone something akin to a bicep, this is depressing, Mikasa Ackerman has shown your main heroine can look strong/attractive and not hurt potential manga or anime sales, Dropped before it even starts.

Yeah, muscle girls isn't a big enough fetish yet. Because if the show's going to do anything, it'll do it in a fetishistic fashion.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Yeah, muscle girls isn't a big enough fetish yet. Because if the show's going to do anything, it'll do it in a fetishistic fashion.

Can't they at least throw us a bone? Dragon Crown has but one amazon, Senran Kagura has one OP senpai with abs (in the anime), they could likewise have made the mugen-style karate girl buffer since it is supposed to be a real combat discipline (supposedly not designed with flashy moves like wrestling).Meanwhile there is a loli in about one in three animes *sigh*
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote
>Turn on video
>Dramatic music
>Fast-foward through the credits I can't read
>Tits McTittyface is shoving her bazongas in the camera and sounding like she's being boned by three men at the same time

NOPE
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
First 10 seconds of character animation is giant tits being thrust towards the camera... *sigh*

A show about female pro wrestling sounded interesting. Hopefully they'll actually make a show like that someday, because this sure as hell isn't going to be.
Siegel Clyne

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote
Going by the anime promo...

The anime version is quite tame in comparison to the eariler drama CD version, which featured a totally different cast.

This what I posted about the drama CD version nearly two years ago on this forum:

Siegel Clyne wrote:
On one of my channels at YouTube I uploaded a video from Nico Nico Douga posted by a "Drederick Tatum" (ドレドリック・テイタム さん; undoubtedly a Simpsons reference) which skillfully blends scenes from the Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! (I Want to be the Strongest in the World!) manga with dialogue from a Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! voice drama CD released earlier this year with the June 2011 issue of the Monthly Comic Earth Star manga magazine, featuring Aki Toyosaki as Sakura Hagiwara, Youko Hikasa as Erena Miyazawa, Rie Tanaka as Rio Kazama, and Japanese professional wrestling commentator Yoshinari Tsuji as the announcer.

Usually I make my own videos I upload on my YouTube channels, but this is one of the rare exceptions.

It remains the only video I have uploaded which has been taken off YouTube:

"This video has been removed as a violation of YouTube's policy on nudity or sexual content. Sorry about that."

There is no nudity in the video.

Kazama (Rie Tanaka) delighting in inflicting pain and suffering to Sakura (Aki Toyosaki) screaming in agony - and exposing her in the most humilating and degrading positions - in a pro wrestling match while an excited announcer (Yoshinari Tsuji), a cheering audience, and a worried Erena (Youko Hikasa) look on proved to be too much for YouTube, I guess.

Shizuka Itou and Hitomi Nabatame, if I remember correctly, were also members of the drama CD cast, though I don't recall who they played.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6