• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pokémon X/Y Games' Promo Previews Mega Evolution

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote
"Megastone required" "Megastone not available during normal gamepay". Hm? When then?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
"Megastone required" "Megastone not available during normal gamepay". Hm? When then?

Wifi events, probably
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Actually...

Quote:
Mega Stones such as Lucarionite, the item that allows Lucario to Mega Evolve, are hidden in the games' Kalos region. However, players must participate in a limited Wi-Fi distribution event through Nintendo Network to get a Torchic with Blaziken's Blazikenite Mega Stone. Blazikenite will not be available during normal gameplay. The Wi-Fi distribution period will begin on the day the games launches.

So... only some of them will be special distributions. Not all of them (or even most of them?).

And I've been hearing way too many people accusing Pokemon of ripping off Digimon here...
The games are developed mostly in Japan, where there is no "Mega" form in Digimon. The Japanese equivalent is "Ultimate" (and "Ultimate" stage is called "Perfect" stage in Japan). Unless there was some major interference from the West, this idea came strictly from the Japanese team. The likelihood of a true correlation between the two is low.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Raichunite when?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Mega Evolution...?

OKay, Pokemon has officially jumped the shark for me. I've become one of those fans whose gonna go "It was better in the old days of Sinnoh and Hoen!" but I don't care. I can't give the slightest shit about Pokemon now.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Mega Evolution...?

OKay, Pokemon has officially jumped the shark for me. I've become one of those fans whose gonna go "It was better in the old days of Sinnoh and Hoen!" but I don't care. I can't give the slightest shit about Pokemon now.

Explain what complicates you? >.>;
To specify, this "Mega Evolution" concept seems to be heavily limited, and it's not the same as regular "evolution." It's more like a temporary power-up for the Pokemon in battle, only giving them a new look during the span they are powered up. They don't change form permanently, so you can treat it like alternate forme-changes for older Pokemon.
If this doesn't "break" the mechanics and balance of the game (which I'm skeptical of, too), why is this really that messed up?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Duuuude, Torchic warp digivolve toooooo MegaBlaziken. It's all that went thru my mind when I first read about this.
labmember001

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Seems interesting, you have to give up the ability to hold a useful item to get a bit of a power up. Could be a neat way to make underused pokemon useful without making them ridiculously overpowered. They're usually really careful about balancing, so I think it should have a pretty fair implementation ^^
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:49 pm Reply with quote
"Mega Evolution" huh?

So like Digimon then? Full circle.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote
1945113 wrote:
Duuuude, Torchic warp digivolve toooooo MegaBlaziken. It's all that went thru my mind when I first read about this.

Letthemeatraep wrote:
"Mega Evolution" huh?

So like Digimon then? Full circle.

lol In a way, I suppose. Anime hyper
Though I did say:

Quote:
And I've been hearing way too many people accusing Pokemon of ripping off Digimon here...
The games are developed mostly in Japan, where there is no "Mega" form in Digimon. The Japanese equivalent is "Ultimate" (and "Ultimate" stage is called "Perfect" stage in Japan). Unless there was some major interference from the West, this idea came strictly from the Japanese team. The likelihood of a true correlation between the two is low.

Won't stop us from joking about it, but as long as no one seriously thinks it's a rip-off...
Ryasha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

If you go further than just a mere name choice, they have more in common.
First is the fact that its a temporary form and they revert back to the previous one when all is said and done. Like Digimon.
With the exception of having to use a stone to do it, it sounds similar to the Mode Change that Imperialdramon (Dragon to Fighter Mode) and Gallantmon (Regular to Crimson) go through. When you consider that Imperialdramon Fighter Mode has to HOLD something in order to become Paladin Mode (A sword in this case), it gets a little closer in resemblance.

Then there's Burst Mode from Data Squad/Savers/Season 5. Another temporary form change that gives them an exponential boost in power similar to this Mega Evolution.

I'm not saying Pokemon ripped them off. I'm just saying that there are similarities between the two and that this is just the Pokemon take on the thing.

Like how that Pokemon Reburst manga had similarities to Digimon Frontier what with the "becoming" Pokemon/Digimon thing. Which is also similar to the Megaman NT Warrior/.exe Access Cross Fusion as well as the EM Wave Change of Star Force
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Giratina has been able to change into its Origin Forme by holding an item for 5 years now. Why is this such a problem?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Ryu Shoji wrote:
Giratina has been able to change into its Origin Forme by holding an item for 5 years now. Why is this such a problem?

the moment you change one little aspect about gaming in any long standing franchise people complain. I personally think this is for the better since most pokemon games have been the same for the past 15 years. Trying to do something new/innovative with your franchise is always a risk but I hope this pays off for them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote
The concept of MegaEvolution is stupid to me...

But the designs of the MegaPokemon look AWESOME. Dat MegaAbsol.... And MegaAmpharos... and MegaMewtwo. And Megablaziken... All of them.
Jave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

I doubt most of the complainers have even seen the original Japanese version of either show Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2