• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2013 - Sentai Filmworks

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, subtitle-only Blu-Ray for Humanity Has Declined? That's new. Would have loved for that to get a dub but happy it got a Blu-Ray

And I know Sentai is going to be hearing complaints about changing the music during the Katyusha scene.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
So from now on for Sentai, BD doesn't necessarily mean English dub. I kind of figure this would happen sooner or later.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:58 am Reply with quote
Disappointing that Katyusha needed to be changed, but it sounds like it was out of Sentai's hands and they're doing what they can for it. I would have sworn that an old Russian song like that would be considered public domain though.

Anyway, December will have Girls und Panzer, Kokoro Connect OVAs, and Jintai for me, a nice holiday lineup. Looking forward to it. I wish that they would have made the 'subtitle BD' release change for Tari Tari. That show is absolutely gorgeous and deserves a HD release.
MadMan400096

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:05 pm Reply with quote
*Sees GuP release* Woo-hoo!

*Sees Katyusha will be changed* D'oh!

Also, I'm not surprised about the recaps being sub only. Mostly, I'm just happy the actual show's being dubbed. Hopefully someone at Sentai will come to their senses and try to convince a network (Toonami, Vortexx, Nicktoons, anyone) to air it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
August will see Makoto Shinkai's new film, Garden of Films, a 46-minute short about an unlikely friendship

Cool, I'm looking forward to seeing this. I found his last work, Garden of Words, to be one of his best.
jree78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Bamboo wrote:
August will see Makoto Shinkai's new film, Garden of Films, a 46-minute short about an unlikely friendship

Cool, I'm looking forward to seeing this. I found his last work, Garden of Words, to be one of his best.

It was really good I saw it at the Alamo drafthouse pretty awesome very short though.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I am kind of disappointed that Chuu-2 is not coming out this year; I am guessing it will be released in January or February. I am still mad about the incomplete October release of Kokoro Connect, but the last 4 episodes are coming soon.

And I dig Sentai's move to release sub-only BD's. In my opinion they are throwing money away by producing bad dubs that no one should want to hear. Frankly, I would not have an issue if Sentai did not have dubs in their releases. All I ask is BD releases with subs.

Megiddo wrote:
I wish that they would have made the 'subtitle BD' release change for Tari Tari. That show is absolutely gorgeous and deserves a HD release.

I agree 100%. I wish this policy had also been applied to Waiting in the Summer. I bought the DVD release of Tari Tari, and it actually looks quite good in my PS3.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Consider me one of the few who is concerned about Sentai doing sub-only blurays. As a dub fan, it was easy to tell which shows would get bilingual releases by whether or not they'd get a bluray release. But now, there's really no telling what will happen until the announcement is made.

I just really hope this doesn't hurt WataMote's chance of getting dubbed. Sad
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:15 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
I just really hope this doesn't hurt WataMote's chance of getting dubbed. Sad

Yeah, my concern is now back on the table.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Hoorah, a Humanity Has Declined blu-ray! I'm sure it would have been fun to hear dubbed, but I would have gotten this on subtitled DVD regardless. Mai Nakahara performed wonderfully anyway. I think I'll pick up the Sakurasou blu-ray too and those will be all I really want from the new announcements.

Still a shame they didn't do subtitle-only Blu-rays earlier. It would have actually made me consider getting Tari Tari, and I would have jumped on a Natsuyuki Rendezvous blu-ray (even though I'm pretty sure that show would have been even more unprofitable than it probably is now).
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:13 pm Reply with quote
this sub only on Blu-ray is apparently an experiment and wont become a trend
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I really kind of hoping to hear a good, Foster-less dub for Humanity Has Declined, with a nicely-done deadpan performance for the lead, but unfortunately, that won't be the case. Would have been real nice to hear how they would've handled the type of show that it is, but hey, at least it's still getting a BD release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The scene from episode eight that was missing from the simulcast will be restored in this release, but due to licensing issues, the song has been changed.

That's still terrible, that was one of the better scenes in the entire show.

getchman wrote:

Unless it does well, and the experiment is a success?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

getchman wrote:

Unless it does well, and the experiment is a success?

don't know. I stated exactly what the latest post on the sentai facebook page states
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you're conducting an experiment, you want to gather the results and information than can be gleaned up from it. It will either agree or disagree with your hypothesis, and therefore affect further decisions with what was learned. Otherwise they're just doing it for funsies? I guess they're testing if lower-profile and "artsy" shows like Humanity can do well enough on BD without requiring a dub by comparing it to similar shows and how they sold with one intact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3