• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otakon 2013

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:21 am Reply with quote
Somebody dropped soap/detergent in the fountain?

Now otaku have no excuse!
Nayu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:01 am Reply with quote
Worst foam party ever. No one came. Sad
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:08 am Reply with quote
Has anyone found the on-site codes at Otakon? I went to both the Dealer's room and Artist alley on Saturday but didn't see anything like a code.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
What happened to day 3? Was everything said in the previous days that didn't need to be said?
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Most of the team is probably in-flight or just arriving home. I imagine Day 3 coverage will be up late tonight or perhaps on Monday.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Mylene wrote:
Most of the team is probably in-flight or just arriving home. I imagine Day 3 coverage will be up late tonight or perhaps on Monday.

Thanks for the update. I'll keep an eye out for it.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
dragonmastr wrote:
Has anyone found the on-site codes at Otakon? I went to both the Dealer's room and Artist alley on Saturday but didn't see anything like a code.

It wasn't until Sunday afternoon that I found a QR code behind a TV in the Funimation booth. At that point, I had no interest in trying to find the others.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Let's see that audience shot from the ANN panel.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
The ANN cast panel was pretty neat. Liked what Lance was doing, and nice to see you all again on the East Coast.

For Justin, what was that guy saying in the third row back. He didn't seem to like Bamboo or Hope. I saw you giving him the evil eye several times.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The ANN cast panel was pretty neat. Liked what Lance was doing, and nice to see you all again on the East Coast.

It was neat seeing Lance Heiskell play along and it amused me when Zac looked to somebody on Viz staff in the crowd for an answer about Ranma 1/2 or something like that. I was a little surprised that industry representatives would show up for that panel, but given how Zac and Justin have talked about their relationship with the industry, I suppose that it makes sense. It's certainly convenient.

The whole experience was mostly a lot of fun. It was a little surreal to connect faces and complete physical presences to the voices and text that I've heretofore encountered them all (except for Hope Chapman, of course) through.

Unfortunately, Zac has reported via twitter that the audio wasn't captured, so the Otakon 2013 ANNCast live will presumably have to be a lost episode.

At least that spares me hearing my own embarrassing, awkward turn at the microphone, but that's about the only benefit and a petty one at that.

And Justin never did tell the pit beef story. (I wanted to get pit beef... but I didn't really have the means or time to get out to Chaps)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
ColonelYao47 wrote:
dragonmastr wrote:

It wasn't until Sunday afternoon that I found a QR code behind a TV in the Funimation booth. At that point, I had no interest in trying to find the others.

Dang. Might still be too hard/too much of a pain. Sorry. Sad Unfortunately we didn't have a chance to "test" any of our strategies before con season.

Hope you're entering the web version though! The rest of the codes will be added soon with the rest of the content.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote
I'm really surprised the ANNCasters thought of Otakon as (I'm paraphrasing) the grass roots, huggy, fan-involved convention while they thought of AX as more of an impersonal image-conscious convention driven by attendees who didn't have anything better to do on a weekend. Their description of AX was my description of Otakon in terms of impersonality. Any 35,000 person convention is going to have to have authoritarian crowd control, a loss of self in the crowd, and the moments of alienation that come with that. I'm used to smaller southern conventions like AWA, Momocon, and tiny Seishun-Con where's it's way more laid back and chummy than anything in the BCC. Still, they're not going to get the guests and panel choices that Otakon offers, obviously.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:47 am Reply with quote
I am really sorry I missed the ANN Cast panel. I wanted to go but then after a full day of panels and events I realized I didn't think I could make it that late as I was exhausted.

I also hadn't eaten so I ended up going to dinner with friends instead.

I would say I wish the panel had been earlier but I guess if it was earlier it probably would have conflicted with something else. I guess there is no perfect time.

As for Otakon being impersonal because of its large size I disagree. I think it is a super friendly con. Everyone I meet is super nice. I always strike up conversations with people in line and then when I see the same people again at different panels we always say hi to each other. I don't know I just feel Otakon is a great community of people brought together by the love of one thing. Yes it's huge and crowded and can be a bit overwhelming (especially if you are a new) but despite that the con has great atmosphere and personality.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:01 am Reply with quote
I want to clarify that I'm speaking in terms of comparisons within the framework of personal reflection, and am not trying to make theoritized statements on the nature of interaction, except to stand by my statement that a 35,000 person convention will result in the type of alienation that I described, but that the alienation is neither complete nor continuous.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote
Brent Allison wrote:
I want to clarify that I'm speaking in terms of comparisons within the framework of personal reflection, and am not trying to make theoritized statements on the nature of interaction, except to stand by my statement that a 35,000 person convention will result in the type of alienation that I described, but that the alienation is neither complete nor continuous.

Well I do understand it is going to have a very different feel from a small con (which I admit I never attended).

But I think the comparison was between the two large cons AX and Otakon and while I can't speak for AX, I do think Otakon has a very personal feel to it for such a large con. Now that might change as the con grows (since it is not quite as big as AX) but for now I think calling it a "huggy con" does make sense to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3