• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-08-25]

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve007101

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Heh, thanks, I suppose I appreciate it. You're right, you do seem to have your share of free time for one and I haven't been close to coherent, at least in my arguing. I guess I'll address a few of your statements.

I definitely hope one day tags like that or their equivalent will make things like that much easier.

Ok, to replace my word "rational" or whatever you'd like for your first post in response lets go with people weighing decisions and what they can get away with and want. I never said or meant it was right or that I'm trying to "justify" it unless you want to define justify as rationalizing why. I'm trying to tell you that you have to understand how they do it, why they do it, that they can do it, and will do it. The fact just is, or if you prefer "I believe," that it is so much easier and less pressured against compared to say shoplifting in a store as you mentioned. It's still a difference of perception in people as you said which is enough to show their intentions in a different way, whether they'd even shoplift or not in the first place, it's going to happen more so in this case since it’s just more convenient to them.

Again, to the "just look at the D/L #'s - I must be right" “summarization” you used, I was trying to point out that they just don’t have enough control over the situation.

As an aside myself, I wouldn’t call people necessarily basically good, just relatively good, we can be whichever we are made to be given the specifics.

To your second post, you're taking me a little too seriously, if I actually was on here really for "support" as you talked about it I already know I wouldn't act how I do, I'll admit it, or at least that I know I really shouldn't and I'm being way too disrespectful. Yes I’m using a cop out.

"Information wants to be free"? Far from it, people want it to be free, that’s what I was saying, I’m in agreement with you. I'm just saying you do have to accept that we want it to be free and by and large today it is and is becoming more so without enough to keep it in check with laws and balances if you really want to complain about it. I mean I haven't exactly heard enough about said laws in proportion to how much I should if they were effective enough if you ask me.

What's ironic is that next you ask me for a source for a statement when I actually did referred to it, an article mentioned, the only one linked to in the last fan sub topic on it in the Answerman column here, I recall the title being "Piracy is good?" And fine, to say it another way: I believe you can't blame awareness of something for its failure if you’re expecting it to do well when received in the first place, that was the general message I was trying to get across.

Next, you're right, I really don't have a good perspective on what companies should and can do, and yes I know they have a financial obligation. I'm just saying they do have an option for improving their own situation if and when possible at the least. If you want to help educate more people not to do such illegal things or help advise people how to handle it, be my guest, you probably won’t be seeing me there.

There simply just isn't enough deterrence for internet piracy for you to say it's working well at all, at least for now. Giving a reason for deterrence always helps, in this case, I’m just saying, if licensers can help promote themselves than the more the merrier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kitsune_Cool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Kitsune_Cool wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

And Kitsune_Cool, I don't think my posts have any pattern of systematic insulting, and unless you've been lurking for awhile, I don't know how you'd have enough information to judge.

Unnh, I wasn't really talking about you specifically, Zalis, I just liked that guy's answer because it was FUNNY. Looking back, I can see how you might think that last bit was for you, but rest assured, it wasn't. I was talking about others I've seen who post things just because they know it will piss someone off or start an argument.
Nah, it's okay, Past and I talked/laughed about this thread in general over a beer this past Saturday night. So it's all good.

Very cool. ^_^ (Yeah, I'm a little late on this, lol. There was this thing with this Ren Faire pirate who has been shamelessly monopolizing my time...)
Kitsune_Cool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Kilgamayan
wrote:
Oh, what an enchanted world you post in. Reminds me of me before I became disillusioned to the internet.

If the extent of your internet fight experience is secluded to this website, a wise man once said, "you ain't seen nothin' yet". You should be thankful this forum is one that very rarely goes beyond "the verge of exploding". Multitudes of other well-populated forums out there are not run nearly as strictly as this one is.

I'm not trying to demean you or anything, I'm just saying that this kind of thing shouldn't upset you because in the grand scheme of e-things it's really nothing.

Lmao, I LOVE that! Seriously, ‘what an enchanted world you post in’ had me laughing, that was a good line. Anime smile Actually, this is the only forum I currently post on. I don’t really have the time nor do I have the ambition to post anywhere else. I’m not new to the internet, though people have patronized me before on my seeming naivety concerning the harsh reality of forum posting. (Not that you’re really patronizing, don’t take this wrong.) I believe that posting should be entertaining rather than irritating - a personal conviction I can't seem to shake. It doesn’t mean I’m naive to the ways of the posting world.

I have a dream… One day I will post in a forum that overflows with fluffy bunnies and pink unicorns…

and maybe a few smurfs, just for the hell of it.
Steve007101

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I hear ya man, I hear ya... I too really just post here for entertainment. Surfs, pink bunnies, throw in love and happiness and I'm sure we'd all love it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kitsune_Cool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:46 pm Reply with quote
lol, our own little posting Utopia. Ah, let us bask in the glory of Smurfs. Steve, this is our forum...

And this is theirs.

Now, back to... jeeze, what are we talking about... fansubs! Or the inherent evilness of bunnies..? I, for one, think bunnies are adorable. Anime smile
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Kitsune_Cool wrote:
Very cool. Anime smile (Yeah, I'm a little late on this, lol. There was this thing with this Ren Faire pirate who has been shamelessly monopolizing my time...)

Wow, that has been a while. Well I'm glad that you have enjoying his company all this time. Smile

BTW, is it just me or are there like twelve Smurfettes in that top picture?
Kitsune_Cool

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:

BTW, is it just me or are there like twelve Smurfettes in that top picture?

Hmm... clones? It is rather peculiar... Which brings an interesting point absolutely not relevant to the argument at hand... did ya ever notice the severe lack of female Smurfs..?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Hooooookay, it's been fun, but it's time to close up shop.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 15 of 15