• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Wonderfully Weird Anime Spin-Offs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Yes for Angel Links getting on the list! Thank you!

Something interesting to note: Angel Links was already a fully completed idea at the time of Outlaw Star's development. The idea seemed so unique that they made the spinoff from it. I have the art book and there's a section that shows the AL concept sketches for the main four, which is what they used for Duuz and Valeria in "Law and Lawlessness". I wonder what Meifon and Kosei could have looked like had they appeared in the same episode. Would have been interesting.

You know, it's funny. I never thought something as dark as SoulTaker could end up leading to a spin-off that's so cutesy and out there.

To answer the poll of the day: Koala Yummies! God, I remember when the snack had that one TV commercial back in the 90s. Still one of my favorite cookies.

Last edited by belvadeer on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
hooliganj

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:18 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Sacto0562 wrote:
Question: would The Certain Scientific Railgun be considered a spinoff of A Certain Magical Index?

Kinda, but I guess it could also be considered a side-story.

Anyway, I watched SoulTaker (I thought it was pretty good), but I have no interest in Nurse Witch Komugi. She was kinda cute in the main series, but a comedy ecchi spin-off is not what I would have asked for.

Several of the series in the list are side stories to the main plot, so Railgun should count as a spinoff of Index.

pachy_boy wrote:
Adventures of Mini-Goddesses definitely belongs there, but a Sasami series, be it Magical Project S or Sasami Magical Girls Club, is sorely missing on this list. You did mention it in passing in your opening paragraph, but I still believe that either of these Tenchi spin-offs are representative examples of what a spin-off series can be and how we get to see different and similar sides of the same characters in brand new adventures.

The Tenchi franchise had a ton of spinoffs, probably born from the fact that the main series itself keeps getting reimagined. Besides the two magical-girl series starring Sasami, there was GXP, War on Geminar, and Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I wouldn't count it, since there's no evidence of any of them having appeared anywhere in the original series or OVA

The main character is directly from Index, how is that not evidence? Railgun is definitely a spin off.
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:
Besides the two magical-girl series starring Sasami

Three!!
BrandonL337

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Guys, the list is Wonderfully weird spinoffs, not best spinoffs. I like railgun as much as the next guy, but the characters are consistent with their characterization in index if a bit... exaggerated at times. they are not chibi, they are not genderflipped. They are not suddenly nurses or magical girls.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
The main character is directly from Index, how is that not evidence? Railgun is definitely a spin off.

Was not talking about Raildex in my posts.
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Is peanut cake not a traditional enough Japanese snack? Ever since I visited Japan, I've been keeping an eye out for anyone distributing the peanut cakes I had there in the US. No luck yet...

Voted for onigiri, since I learned to really like those as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:40 pm Reply with quote
BrandonL337 wrote:
Guys, the list is Wonderfully weird spinoffs...

Which is why Pretty Samy (called Magical Project S stateside) should have been on the list. Samy fights Love-Love Monsters. It just does not get any cornier than that.
manhiem

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
BrandonL337 wrote:
Guys, the list is Wonderfully weird spinoffs, not best spinoffs. I like railgun as much as the next guy, but the characters are consistent with their characterization in index if a bit... exaggerated at times. they are not chibi, they are not genderflipped. They are not suddenly nurses or magical girls.

OK. That makes sense.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
The Nanoha thing always fascinated me, because of how random it was--taking a very side character in an otherwise unrelated storyline and building one of the bigger franchises around her from scratch. I've seen the Triangle Hearts OVA, which despite it's source material is not a hentai--it's not particularly good either, it's one of those 'You have to play the game to understand anything' shows. And interestingly enough the main characters from Triangle Hearts make cameos in the first season of Nanoha too.

The one show that should have made the list (not even counting Kujibiki Unbalance, which actually I liked better than the second season of Genshiken) is Sailor Victory. It's a spin off of the soggy eroge Graduation franchise, but this one takes all the girls and puts them IN SPACE, completely changes their personalities, swings hard to the comedic and turns it into this crazy, quasi-feministic mecha action show. Also in the Graduation franchise is Graduation M, a two part OVA which genderswaps all the characters to male and gets all pseudo-homosexual in an awkward, failed attempt to pander to fujoshi crowd. God, I miss the 90's.
Misopup

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:52 pm Reply with quote
This week's poll like to killed me. I think there's only maybe three on the list that I DON'T like.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Although not quite an anime spin-off, the weirdest spin-off in my opinion has got to be Muv-Luv Extra/Alternative. Yeah... from everyday rom-com straight into infamous death scenes.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:05 pm Reply with quote
More fav J-snacks: "condom" ice ream Wink

Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Would Mini Pato qualify as a spin off? It's certainly weird... and wonderful.
Sorrior

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:22 am Reply with quote
hooliganj wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:
Sacto0562 wrote:
Question: would The Certain Scientific Railgun be considered a spinoff of A Certain Magical Index?

Kinda, but I guess it could also be considered a side-story.

Anyway, I watched SoulTaker (I thought it was pretty good), but I have no interest in Nurse Witch Komugi. She was kinda cute in the main series, but a comedy ecchi spin-off is not what I would have asked for.

Several of the series in the list are side stories to the main plot, so Railgun should count as a spinoff of Index.

pachy_boy wrote:
Adventures of Mini-Goddesses definitely belongs there, but a Sasami series, be it Magical Project S or Sasami Magical Girls Club, is sorely missing on this list. You did mention it in passing in your opening paragraph, but I still believe that either of these Tenchi spin-offs are representative examples of what a spin-off series can be and how we get to see different and similar sides of the same characters in brand new adventures.

The Tenchi franchise had a ton of spinoffs, probably born from the fact that the main series itself keeps getting reimagined. Besides the two magical-girl series starring Sasami, there was GXP, War on Geminar, and Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure.

GXP and Isekai(I refuse to call it geminar) are Sequels while Dual is an alternate reality one of the ones made by the three goddesses...

Out of those Dual is the closest to spinoff but still no true spinoff...Especially if idol IS Zinv using intense gravity to reality shift again...Maybe even travel back in time as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3