• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Wonderfully Weird Anime Spin-Offs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WWAanimefan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote
OK a nominee for number 8: the wonderfully weird spinoff of Excel Saga: Puni Puni Poemy.
ethambutol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:01 am Reply with quote
-nyo.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:04 am Reply with quote
I dont want to nitpick, its a good list. But I view a spinoff as basically characters taken from one series and plopped off into their own universes, or I guess a better term is settings, one that is independent or close to independent of the actions of the original

or

taking side characters who can remain in universe, but are plopped into their own settings that function independent of the their original.

Basically there has to be a significant disconnect. Hence railgun would not count because its too closely tied to index, versus Angel Links which you would have no idea it takes place in the Outlaw star versus if you missed that one episode and no one told you.

And a retelling would not count because its the same characters in a similar enough universe doing similar enough things, with tweaks depending on the authors. So Lupin, Tenchi, Neon Genesis don't count.

I also think an interesting one that was missed was Louie the Rune Solider. People might not know, but its a light hearted fantasy along the lines of those who hunt elves, but it canonical takes place on a continent North? of Lodoss, yes as in Record of lodoss war .

Also what does CLAMP count as? Each series is connected to every other series, but what draws the line of Marvel style mulitverse, and spin off. Or is there any, and all CLAMP series are spinoffs.
ladybastet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote
First, I liked The Soultaker even the weird color effects. I think I managed to get through one episode of Nurse Komugi and it was not at all for me.

I voted for shaved ice with condensed milk but wanted to add a caveat. It has to have chocolate syrup too. Down where I am a chocloate snow ball is the best. I do wonder about Pocky though. Do Pocky not stick together in Japan? Rolling Eyes
giseki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:56 am Reply with quote
anyone know why Pocky was renamed Mikado in europe? ....it's not like we can't pronounce pocky...
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:18 am Reply with quote
Darkhawk220 wrote:
"Spike Lee Naruto spin-off"

I'm pretty sure, it's "Rock Lee", unless I missed a big slice of news.

Nice list. Unfortunately, I have yet to see any of these Sad

I have and they were good to watch. especially Nanoha and nurse witch Komugi Chan in the english dub version.

Though i am surprised that magical girl preety sammy or its spinoff Sasami! Magical Girls Club isnt even on this list since it the original that started it all when it comes to spinoffs of extremely popular series in the otaku community.

I guess its probably cause of the multiple of fanservice scenes of the ten yr old sasami that have those that arent into fanservice cringe at that OVA . that or since the whole magical girl idea originally started with those two eps featuring sasami in the tenchi universe series.

then there is of course evangelion : angelic days which could have also made the list as well.

Also if I am not mistaken , Nanoha is a spinoff from the Triangle Heart series , but mainly from its hentai OVA Sazanami Joshiryō not Sweet Songs Forever. Especially since the Sweet Songs Forever OVA isnt classified as one.

hooliganj wrote:

The Tenchi franchise had a ton of spinoffs, probably born from the fact that the main series itself keeps getting reimagined. Besides the two magical-girl series starring Sasami, there was GXP, War on Geminar, and Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure.

True , however Dual was created by Tenchi's creator and doesnt affect that the tenchi universe in any way. though GXP is another story. since one of the robots in dual made and appearance in GXP and its more of a sequel than a spinoff to the Ryo-Oki OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
Sad mochi isn't on the snack list. Ever since my Japanese teacher in college brought us strawberry and an daifuku I get mochi cravings.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:38 am Reply with quote
rizuchan wrote:
Sad mochi isn't on the snack list. Ever since my Japanese teacher in college brought us strawberry and an daifuku I get mochi cravings.

Have no fear! It is on the poll under "Ohagi/Mochi/Daifuku"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kilocron

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote
What, no mention of the odd Slayers / Lost Universe thing.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:36 am Reply with quote
giseki wrote:
anyone know why Pocky was renamed Mikado in europe? ....it's not like we can't pronounce pocky...

It has a different brand name in Korea too. My daughter used to go rounds with her Korean friends about which was the "right" name, all in fun of course, since it was just an excuse to eat more of it. It was my pick... Love the stuff!

Glad to see the mini-goddesses on the list! IMO Railgun counts, but isn't "weird" enough for the list. Gatchaman Crowds I took to be more of a sequel/continuation than a spin-off, from the pre-show press, but I haven't seen either...
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote
Kilocron wrote:

it didn't get a mention cause both of their universes have no connection at all only for the fact it was created by the same person. Just because it was created by the same person doesnt necessarily mean the other series is a spin off of the other.

Lady Multi wrote:
I wouldn't consider the Rayearth OVA to be a spin-off; it's more of just an alternate telling of the story.

It would be the same as saying the Tenchi Universe TV series is a spin-off of the Tenchi Muyo! OVA series.. (Pretty Sammy is the spin-off of Tenchi Muyo! btw)
...or the Gurren Lagann movies are a spin-off of the Gurren Lagann TV series...
...or The Wanders: El Hazard is a spin off of the El Hazard OVAs.
...of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a spin-off of Fullmetal Alchemist.

A spin-off is something that originated in one thing but now exists separately...

Actually its the other way around when it comes to FMA. For one thing Brotherhood is an faithful adapation of the manga , while the other have no relationship to the manga , so i would say the first FMA is a spinoff to brotherhood. but regardless of that , its a alternate retelling of the series similar to the El Hazzard OVA and the Wanderers TV series. its' not a spinoff , but a retelling of the storyline.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Kilocron wrote:

Lost Universe is another universe. Technically it can be considered the parallel universe to Slayers... Slayers TRY anime is not cannon to the Slayers Novels; the villain Dark Star is thus Lost Universe's equivalent to Slayer's Shabrinigdo (spelling is horrible on this I know... I don't feel like prowling to spell it correctly) so it's mention in Slayers TRY is merely anime purposes.

I used to know everything about the Slayers universe and set-up but my knowledge is tapering in the area of spelling.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote
[quote="jr0904"]
Kilocron wrote:

Lady Multi wrote:
I wouldn't consider the Rayearth OVA to be a spin-off; it's more of just an alternate telling of the story.

It would be the same as saying the Tenchi Universe TV series is a spin-off of the Tenchi Muyo! OVA series.. (Pretty Sammy is the spin-off of Tenchi Muyo! btw)
...or the Gurren Lagann movies are a spin-off of the Gurren Lagann TV series...
...or The Wanders: El Hazard is a spin off of the El Hazard OVAs.
...of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is a spin-off of Fullmetal Alchemist.

A spin-off is something that originated in one thing but now exists separately...

Actually its the other way around when it comes to FMA. For one thing Brotherhood is an faithful adapation of the manga , while the other have no relationship to the manga , so i would say the first FMA is a spinoff to brotherhood. but regardless of that , its a alternate retelling of the series similar to the El Hazzard OVA and the Wanderers TV series. its' not a spinoff , but a retelling of the storyline.

Ya get what I mean though. Rayearth OVA, the TV series, and the manga are in the same boat as Fullmetal Alchemist. Saying Rayearth is a spin-off essentially says that FMA (or FMA:B) is a spin-off of what came first.

If you wanted to be picky, you could say that MKRayearth TV is a spin-off of the manga 'cause it's not accurate.

Same with Sailor Moon's anime... Doesn't make it a spin-off...

Still, I just don't see how Rayearth OVA is on the list. I consider it an Alternate Universes the same I consider the Tenchi series and the El Hazard series to be Alternate Universes.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:00 am Reply with quote
I gotta interject in this discussion and point out that the Rayearth OVA is quite possibly the worst anime I've ever seen.

I was into Rayearth at the time. I saw the OVA on the shelf. Bought it. Watched it. Regretted it ever since. It's a blisteringly bad trainwreck of bad animation and out-of-place fanservice. Plus the characters pretty much only share their names and faces with their manga counterparts. It's utter garbage, and it belongs nowhere except on a "bottom 10" list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3