• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top 10 Anime and Manga at Japan Media Arts Festival

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quote
All four of the movies are Miyazaki movies, interesting.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
beast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I think this is the best anime/manga top list I've seen coming from Japan in recent years. Usually you'd see trendy, shallow and short-lived titles among the top ten - well, not this time. =)
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Damn~ Mushishi made it to both lists! Shocked

I know it's worthy to be sure, the more I watch it the more I'm just spellbound, but considering the absolutely pathetic number of people that have seen it here, and the fact that I never heard any buzz about it, I figured it just might not be a mainstream type show. Clearly I was wrong Very Happy Maybe it will get liscensed! I can't believe noone has liscensed the two best shows in the last year yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
larinon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:29 pm Reply with quote
The only one that I didn't really expect to see on that anime list is Mushishi. I agree that it's an excellent show, but unlike shows like Evangelion or Ghost in the Shell, it's not an in-your-face, really jumps out and grabs you type of show; it has a lot of subtleness and beauty to it. I always got the impression that it was an underappreciated title, at least in the English fan community, but it's good to see the show getting some great recognition like this.

Also, the links seem to go to "top 50" lists, but of course they are in Japanese. It'd be really great if someone would translate the rest of the list... Wink

(edit: fixed wording)

Last edited by larinon on Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Is this a mainstream poll?

Those other anime titles are older titles, with the exception of FMA, Mushishi and GitS: SAC. None of Miyazaki's newer titles, like Spirited Away, are in the top 10.
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Like Larinon previously said, can someone put out a full translation of the lists?
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I cannot believe that both Versions of Mushishi made it on the list. That makes me soo happy! This is the best list I have seen in a long long time. Gindam was on it which is perfect, same with Eva, and Ghost in the Shell SAC. I am pleased!
roujin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote
no idea that mushishi was that good
hikura

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Not to surpising that Ghost in the shell movies and tv shows made into the list.Kinda surpising that Eva made it so high.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Damn~ Mushishi made it to both lists! Shocked

I know it's worthy to be sure, the more I watch it the more I'm just spellbound, but considering the absolutely pathetic number of people that have seen it here, and the fact that I never heard any buzz about it, I figured it just might not be a mainstream type show. Clearly I was wrong Very Happy Maybe it will get liscensed! I can't believe noone has liscensed the two best shows in the last year yet.
Yes those of us who never download illegal fansubs, or scanlations are quite pathetic aren't we. Wink

Glad to see Nausicaa made both list though.
EVa No.1? Now that is surprising.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nebs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
It should be pointed out that there was also a write-in option for favorite series, of which series like the Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, Honey & Clover, Planetes, & Aria did very well. AnimeNation has those listed here:

http://www.animenation.net/news/index.php?id=10307

As a side note I too have seen the Mushishi anime. For as good as it is, I can't believe how little buzz it ever gets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
I_AM_L

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm surpised Death Note is only number 10 with all the talk it gets...but at the same time, I guess we aren't going to talk about really old manga as much as the new hip ones.

I dislike Pokemon and most of Yu-Gi-Oh!, but I'm surprised it wasn't on the top 10 anime, since they're fads...
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Yes those of us who never download illegal fansubs, or scanlations are quite pathetic aren't we. Wink

Very you should start DL right now Wink, I guess now I really should get into Mushi again.....I can't believe Slam Dunk is so high considering how badly it failed in the US.
Nebs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I don't consider a program that's one of the most watched anime in all of Japan to be just a fad. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
wihowife

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Yay Jojo's listed #2!
I was kindda surprised,although Jojo IS popular,I thought its popularity was considered quite 'maniac'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5