• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Sends out Cease & Desist Letters For Multiple Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
These titles are XXXholic TV, Ragnarok The Animation, Mushishi, Suzuka, Sakura Taisen: Le Nouveau Paris and ATASHIn'CHI (Not clear if the C&D refers to the Movie, TV series, or both).

Mushishi? How exciting....I know there are lots of people think that this is suppose to be really amazing...I never could get into the fansubs....but I am definetly going to check out the first dvd when it comes out.
Till next time,

Delta Kiral
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Well that is just cool, Finally we are going to get Mushishi and Tsubasa. I love both shows and I hope Funimation gets them and does a good job with the english relese.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Already said this before the forums went down, but what the heck.

I'm somewhat disappointed that Mushishi won't be seen in its whole for a long time since no fansubbing team finished the series before FUNi sent out this C&D letter, but for the most part I'm excited that it is more than likely finally licensed. I'm undecided as to whether I want to own the anime or manga, though if I choose the former, it will be the first title that FUNi has distributed since they really don't have anything I'm much interested in.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:20 pm Reply with quote
yeah that's how i feel. i'm really happy that someone has this series, but i just wish this didn't happen right before the final episode was to be released.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Well since everything else has been deleted, I will just restate 3 of them I really want to come over. And I hope this means it will get here sooner than later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand how FUNI could send out C & D letters since I haven't seen anything in the Encyclopedia about these titles that suggest they have the license to them.

What happened? Did FUNI receive licenses for every single anime title being released now? Razz
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I hope the live-action Mushishi gets picked up soon. Though I thought FUNi would learn by now not to saturate the market. Atashi in particular looks as unlikely to sell as Milk-Chan.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Reapeating: I liked Suzuka, and I'll get it if/when it comes to DVD. Still, I know that the group that did Suzuka would've removed it with a simple request, without getting lawyers involved. Mushishi I've heard some good things about, so I'll have to check it out, somehow...
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
I don't understand how FUNI could send out C & D letters since I haven't seen anything in the Encyclopedia about these titles that suggest they have the license to them.

What happened? Did FUNI receive licenses for every single anime title being released now? Razz

Funi hasn't announced the licenses yet. We don't know which of the following applies:

1) Funimation has licensed the titles but released no announcement
2) Funimation has agreed to license the titles, but the paperwork hasn't been completed yet
3) Funimation is pursuing the license,
4) Funimation doesn't have the license but was asked to send the C&D on behalf of the owners.

Regarding #3, Funimation should have permission from the Japanese rights holders before doing this, otherwise they'd be overstepping their bounds.

Regarding #4, although some Japanese companies have contacted fansubbers directly, this wouldn't be the first time that a US company contacted fansubbers on behalf of a Japanese company.

There's a 5th example, one that is extremely unlikely, and would call for a differently worded letter, more of a "warning" than a C&D. Something along the lines of this, "Dear fansubber, it has come to our attention that you are illegally distributing xxxx. Currently we are not engaged in any attempt ot acquire rights to this property, regardless, should you continue to illegally distribute it and should we obtain the rights in the future, we would sue you. You won't receive another warning prior to legal action being taken."

You see, once a company acquires the rights to a property, they can retroactively, with no warning whatsoever, sue anyone who negatively impacted their profits through illegal actions. Obviosuly, anyone who likes & benefits from fansubs (myself included), hopes this never happens.

-t
Fiction Alchemist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
DELETE.

Last edited by Fiction Alchemist on Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Turkishproverb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I seriously hope they actually have or are in the process of aquiring the rights, or were asked to do this by the owners.

I don't believe in Entitlement to fansubs, but I also don't think a complany that doesn't have a stake in the show should be sending out cease and desist letters, reguardless.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm all for protecting your properties, but couldn't FUNi have been less of a dick about it?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
I'm all for protecting your properties, but couldn't FUNi have been less of a dick about it?

What are they supposed to do?

Ask nicely, without any actual legal threat behind it?

That ALWAYS works, let me tell you. Asking fansubbers to stop almost always results in "Oh okay, sure!".
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Lyrai wrote:

That ALWAYS works, let me tell you. Asking fansubbers to stop almost always results in "Oh okay, sure!".
Not every fansub group shares the same attitudes as the now-defunct AnimeJunkies, okay? Like I sort of said in a deleted post, the group that did Suzuka complied with the Media Factory C&D back in 2004 and stopped work on and distribution of Akane Maniax, Pugyuru, and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien (as it was known back then). It's a shame that some groups' actions makes companies feel that the legal teeth are necessary. Now maybe, just maybe, if the companies said, "We have acquired all North American distribution rights to ****, [optional]we're releasing it in Fall 2007[/optional], please cease and desist all illegal actions, or we will take measures against you," instead of vague crap like "We may or may not have the license to this series, we may or may not be sending this notice on behalf of [Japanese rights owner], and we can neither confirm nor deny anything about these titles, except that we want you to stop fansubbing and distributing them," the fansubbers would be more willing to listen. I don't think FUNi is being "a dick" about it, but I'd like to think that there were better ways to handle things.
tempest wrote:
You see, once a company acquires the rights to a property, they can retroactively, with no warning whatsoever, sue anyone who negatively impacted their profits through illegal actions.
They'd have to prove it in court, wouldn't they? Obviously, you guys know things about the industry that we normal fans don't, but none of the many protracted fansub debate threads I've been in have ever had any conclusive proof with hard numbers that show negative impacts on profits.
But, much like unexplained fires on those Canyonero SUVs, these are matters for the courts, and not this thread.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:49 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Lyrai wrote:

yes. the ones who were doing those particular shows are legit groups. in fact, a lot of subbers are upset that Funi went this route instead of just asking nicely, or announcing the license.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4