• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Favorite TV Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omnistry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:06 am Reply with quote
Pani Poni Dash! at #3. Very Happy
The Melancholy of Harhui Suzumiya at #4. Wink
Bokusatsu Tenshin Dokuro-chan at #80 Laughing.

I'm actually shocked that Pani Poni Dash! moved up the charts from last year. What was it, like, 14 or 15? (Happy, though, since it quickly became my favorite anime comedy, despite some of the jokes that went over my head.)
fxg97873

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:16 am Reply with quote
Strawberry Marshmallow at number 10! Yay!

mk2000
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote
The online poll's results where pretty much as expected I thought. Like most polls of this sort, it's a reflection of what is popular now, rather than over the decades.

I prefered the demographic based poll they ran last year - dividing the voting between age ranges - as it gave a more historical overview.

The celebrity poll I guess skewed towards older generations as there's very few recent shows on there.
minakichan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:08 am Reply with quote
The online poll seems pretty accurate, pretty representative. But man, those celebs they polled seem to be all from older generations, on nostalgia trips.
Talon87

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
So ... anybody want to explain how Rozen Maiden gets 9th place Very Happy on this list but still remains completely off the licensing radar? Confused
seedwingemp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Surprise by s-Cry-ed making in upper fifty. How could Samurai 7 be letter part of list?

Did anyone see countdown of 50 best toons of IGN? They didn't have any anime in there but was ok list.

This proof that countries animation is support by that country. On IGN is all american animation from Futurama, Simpsons, and etc.
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Talon87 wrote:
So ... anybody want to explain how Rozen Maiden gets 9th place Very Happy on this list but still remains completely off the licensing radar? Confused

Block voting by otaku mobilised by support for that show on message boards?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Talon87 wrote:

Part of it is probably cultural. The "Tales of..." series is...I believe the 2nd or 3rd most popular RPG series in Japan? Yet, here, the series has done decently, but not nearly to the level that it has in Japan.

And here, the Xbox360 has done pretty well. In Japan...well.....they've been sitting dead on the shelves since launch.

So I can understand why they think it might not be popular here. (Although I think something THAT popular in Japan should be given a chance.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi Suzumiya 4!!
Rozen Maiden 9!!
Strawberry Marshmellow 10!!
Nanoha 13!!
One Piece 21!!
HUNTERXHUNTER 28!!
Air 32!!
Mai-Hime 38!!
CCS 44!!
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni 61!!
Fate/Stay Night 70!!
Mushihi 72!!
Da~Capo 82!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Lupin in 1st for the celebrity list. Looks like some people know some good old school anime right there.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:52 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty clear that the "Japanese populace" means otaku, siche they're the ones who are going to go out of their way to vote on their favorite series; hence the massive diffrence between the two lists and the high rankings of newer, fanboy-oriented stuff like Haruhi and (shudder) Strawberry Marshmallow.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Where's Gundam Seed Destiny?

Where is your God now? Razz
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Black Lagoon didn't even rank?? booooo

it's cool that Eureka Seven ranked 14 though.

minakichan wrote:
The online poll seems pretty accurate, pretty representative. But man, those celebs they polled seem to be all from older generations, on nostalgia trips.

sorry, but i dont see anyting Accurate when Fullemetal Alchemist ranks no. 1 and Suzumiya ranks no. 4. it's just fanboyism. the celebrity list makes more sense.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah! 3,000 Leagues in Search of Mother is on that list. That's my favorite series.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
The online poll's results where pretty much as expected I thought. Like most polls of this sort, it's a reflection of what is popular now, rather than over the decades.

I prefered the demographic based poll they ran last year - dividing the voting between age ranges - as it gave a more historical overview.

The celebrity poll I guess skewed towards older generations as there's very few recent shows on there.

Yeah, I agree, I preferred last year's poll, which seemed to be more representative of the Japanese populous, as opposed to Japanese anime fans.

This year's poll was a disspointment to me, but the celebrity poll was mor einteresting.

It took me 5 hours to translate the entire frigging list.

-t
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4