• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
I don't agree with your negative. I think the pacing with the plot is fine. They're training and building up the anticipation of the upcoming competition. I'm glad it didn't go as fast. Convincing Rei to join the club in one episode wouldn't have been realistic and having him become a pro swimmer in one episode would have turned me off. The pacing is realistic and enjoyable. I mean, they have to learn about each other's strengths and weaknesses before they can swim as a team right?
Divineking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with the pacing issues somewhat though I do agree it seems as though the show was waiting till later on to start rolling out actual character drama which seems to be in full effect now.

I have to say that while I was expecting to be at least mildly entertained by the show, I wasn't expecting to seriously enjoy it as much as I have been. It's got all the right shonen sports elements going for it, and while the manservice is occasionally more blatant than I'd like it to be, its not overwhelmingly distracting to me. It's not AOTY material as of the moment but I think it has a good chance of being one of the year's best if it delivers everything it needs to by the end.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I really hope the plot gets nowhere, characters don't develop, personal relationships are kept in a standstill and the tournament is a minor one episode event if it happens at all. that way it will be just like k-on.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Pacing is fine IMO. We're actually getting sporting events now. I didn't actually expect competitive swimming in this anime.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the first part of this series is more about character building rather than getting right into the waters for competition. So in a way, the pacing suffers a bit for me in the slice of life zone. However, the latest episode has gotten under way with the competitions in particular the rivalry between RIn/Haruka. I am rather curious exactly what the hell happened between the two though in the past...

Otherwise, I thought the review was pretty decent tbh. The comedic energy is there although I feel sometimes it's a bit too repetitive. I'm surprisingly enjoying this show more than I had thought though. Oh and DAT END SONG. (and the cool OST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I really do agree with this review actually.

I am a guy and I like sports anime, and am not afraid of female oreinted content (still I avoid watching the opening and endings for this show). I actually don't mind the fan service in the actual show that much. and while I am glad we have no more SUPER OVER THE TOP shirt throwing scenes, I wish the show was funny again. To be fair Nagisa is no longer annoying (he actually has some redeeming character traits now). However the glass guy may have just taken that spot from him.

What kept me watching the show was it's comedy and the sports angle. after it started focusing on glasses the show took a big nose dive in terms of comedy I feel. to the point where the comedy was in direct proportion to his swimming ability in that episode. After episode 5 I decided I would drop the show based on episode 6, and episode 6 while it finally did something in terms of conflict and made me feel sorry for someone and actually delivered a little on some buildup it did not do enough. unless the series really turns it around in the other episodes in terms of conflict and actual sports content again, I am not going to watch the rest of the series.
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(As expected, Japanese fans have already gone afield and found the actual locations that the backgrounds are based on).

Anyone have a link for this? I always like to see the comparisons, but I'm bad at searching them out^^;

I agree with the review about the pacing problems, but since the show actually has way more plot than I had expected (before it started, was anyone expecting this show to actually have swimming in it?), I can't make myself care. The comedy is really funny and charming and I like just watching the characters play off each other. I love how camp it is xD I'm happy that the tournament has started with the latest episode, though. The spoiler[100m free with Haru v. Rin] was gorgeous to watch, some of the best animation in the show so far. Hopefully the pacing will pick up now too!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote
That it's [at least partly] KyoAni is the predominant reason I'm watching this. Any other studio and it'd be a great big nope. It really does feel like a sexchanged K-ON following another school club, but it seems like it'll have more swimming in it now than fishing in tsuritama, so that's a plus.

Although, I wasn't too impressed by the visuals when I needed to be. It's definitely not KyoAni bringing their A game.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
rheiders wrote:
Quote:
(As expected, Japanese fans have already gone afield and found the actual locations that the backgrounds are based on).

Anyone have a link for this? I always like to see the comparisons, but I'm bad at searching them out^^;

I agree with the review about the pacing problems, but since the show actually has way more plot than I had expected (before it started, was anyone expecting this show to actually have swimming in it?), I can't make myself care. The comedy is really funny and charming and I like just watching the characters play off each other. I love how camp it is xD I'm happy that the tournament has started with the latest episode, though. The spoiler[100m free with Haru v. Rin] was gorgeous to watch, some of the best animation in the show so far. Hopefully the pacing will pick up now too!

Even though I have dropped the show I do agree with this. Free is actually a LOT like girls und panzar in that the show is actually well researched, and I assume is appealing to those that it is aiming at due to its comedy and sports scenes.
Sylpher3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I think that the main plot, which according to the reviewer is the rivalry between Haru and Rin, is actually well-developed but not engaging enough to carry the whole show. The school-club antics, training, character development, background stories, group interactions, fanservice humor are necessary to keep the show compelling and Free mixes these elements successfully. Many sports anime focus on the lives of characters outside the tournaments and Free is no exception. It is fun and insightful to see, but the goals they’re aiming for in the sport always remain important.

Definitely one of the most enjoyable series this season.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
That it's [at least partly] KyoAni is the predominant reason I'm watching this. Any other studio and it'd be a great big nope. It really does feel like a sexchanged K-ON following another school club, but it seems like it'll have more swimming in it now than fishing in tsuritama, so that's a plus.

Although, I wasn't too impressed by the visuals when I needed to be. It's definitely not KyoAni bringing their A game.

I don't know. K-ON! was rather wishy-washy with the music aspect though that was mostly them adhering to the source material. Granted some of the original K-ON! episodes KyoAni did were more music-focused. On the other hand, Free knows it's about swimming club and goes full force with it.

As for the visuals, I would like to think most of the animators are working on Kyoukai no Kanata at this moment considering that one has the potential of getting most of the animation since it is an action series. Maybe if Free gets green-lit a season 2, they'll get a visual boost. KyoAni pretty much filled the void fangirls wanted in their anime; sexy pretty boys with much better than average animation. Surprised
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Haha thats funny.

...wait you were serious?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Haha thats funny.

...wait you were serious?

Oh look, snark from fencedude. Yes, I'm serious, go ahead and lash out like a simpleton. It's what you're best at.
Stall_19

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:56 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It really does feel like a sexchanged K-ON following another school club, but it seems like it'll have more swimming in it

Don't compare this to K-ON, unlike K-ON this actually instilled an emotion in me other than complete boredom. Free isn't the best thing ever but it's a lot better than K-ON.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I wasn't too impressed by the visuals when I needed to be. It's definitely not KyoAni bringing their A game.

It looks great to me. Granted, my eyesight isn't perfect, but I don't see anything that I would consider bad about the animation.

Maybe you could explain what you are seeing that I'm not. Question
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4