• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Annual Pumpkin Carving Contest

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Yay Pumkin Carving!
This will be like the third time I ever carve a Pumpkin x_x
Does it matter what it is carved of?
Are you allowed to carve more than 1 pumkin and send it in?
Will paint increase the chances of winning?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop wrote:
Yay Pumkin Carving!
This will be like the third time I ever carve a Pumpkin x_x
Does it matter what it is carved of?
Are you allowed to carve more than 1 pumkin and send it in?
Will paint increase the chances of winning?

1) No. Any kind of gourd will suffice.
2) Yes.
3) Nah, it's just an option we threw out.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Okay Im going to buy like 5 pumpkins then
Ceru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:08 am Reply with quote
I may or may not enter... last year, though I clearly was nowhere near as good as some of the pumpkins, I was kind of annoyed by the fact that the prize was given to someone who'd done about 1 minute worth of carving and an hour worth of markering. There were much better pumpkins that were carved-only that deserved to win.

That's my beef, anyway. Carving is a SKILL. Markering, any artist can do-- it defeats the point of a pumpkin CARVING contest. I get that you have to carve some of the pumpkin, but I think a lot of people will end up scraping off some pumpkin (to qualify as a "Carve" and marker or paint the rest. Razz

Maybe that's just me. Anime smile
Beni_Hime

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote
Hey, just letting you know, that pumpkin was BY FAR not an hour worth of markering and a minute worth of carving. Don't be so insulting! Those pumpkins, particularly the Alucard one took me an EXTREMELY long time. Try 7-8 hours...Yeah, I was at it ALL day!(even with taking breaks, my neck felt like it was going to snap off!) So don't think it took me and hour and a minute to get it done! I WISH! And the only marker I used was dry erase to draw on the pictures.. even that was a pain because my hand kept smudging out the lines as I carved so I had to go back and redraw. And finally, I had to CAREFULLY go over the uncarved bits with black paint to get my desired effect(so it didn't go into the pumpkin flesh). And don't even make me going into the carving bit..... that was pain staking in itself! So please.. be a bit more respectful.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote
Ceru wrote:
I may or may not enter... last year, though I clearly was nowhere near as good as some of the pumpkins, I was kind of annoyed by the fact that the prize was given to someone who'd done about 1 minute worth of carving and an hour worth of markering. There were much better pumpkins that were carved-only that deserved to win.

That's my beef, anyway. Carving is a SKILL. Markering, any artist can do-- it defeats the point of a pumpkin CARVING contest. I get that you have to carve some of the pumpkin, but I think a lot of people will end up scraping off some pumpkin (to qualify as a "Carve" and marker or paint the rest. Razz

Some of you clearly have parents who have not taught you things like "tact" or "not being a sore loser".

I'm really getting tired of the negativity surrounding the contests here. If you didn't win, nobody wants to hear about how you think the winning entry sucks. That's called sour grapes, and it is inappropriate and immature.
Beni_Hime

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Thank you very much Zac! ^__^ So true!
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:46 pm Reply with quote
My parents won't let me crap up the family pumpkin with anime, so is it okay if I carve my entry in a lemon?
Pocky_aDDict

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I kinda wanna go to my local craft store and get one of those fake carving pumpkins, but you need to get a real pumkin, huh? D;

Hopefully I have enough time before Tuesday when this rolls around.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
My parents won't let me crap up the family pumpkin with anime, so is it okay if I carve my entry in a lemon?

HAHA, actually, this I would want to see. Go for it.
Ceru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:14 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Ceru wrote:

Some of you clearly have parents who have not taught you things like "tact" or "not being a sore loser".

I'm really getting tired of the negativity surrounding the contests here. If you didn't win, nobody wants to hear about how you think the winning entry sucks. That's called sour grapes, and it is inappropriate and immature.

It's not being a sore loser. I already mentioned that I was by far not among the best there-- but I'm just saying, ones like the Paradise Kiss one should have easily been first, not second.

And also, I'm not disrespecting markering. I'm just annoyed with the fact that it's allowed for this. Razz

Regardless, I look forward to seeing the carved-only pumpkins-- the kind where you can see the design even when everything but the candle inside is pitch black-- isn't that kind of the point of a Halloween pumpkin carving contest?
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Ceru wrote:
Zac wrote:
Ceru wrote:

It's not being a sore loser. I already mentioned that I was by far not among the best there-- but I'm just saying, ones like the Paradise Kiss one should have easily been first, not second.

And also, I'm not disrespecting markering. I'm just annoyed with the fact that it's allowed for this. Razz

Regardless, I look forward to seeing the carved-only pumpkins-- the kind where you can see the design even when everything but the candle inside is pitch black-- isn't that kind of the point of a Halloween pumpkin carving contest?

If you ever go to any of those "professional" carved pumpkin displays (often held at zoos, etc, this time of the year), you'll see that they use marker as well. It's about using what you have and making the most of it.
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Besides, markering is a skill as well. Maybe it should just be called a "Orange and Yellow Halloween Fruit Anime-themed art contest!" *pant* *pant*=)
Am I allowed to "artify" two sides of a pumpkin? I was going for the L on one side, Ryuzaki on the other approack for my Death Note pumpkin.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Cyborg 009 wrote:
Besides, markering is a skill as well. Maybe it should just be called a "Orange and Yellow Halloween Fruit Anime-themed art contest!" *pant* *pant*=)
Am I allowed to "artify" two sides of a pumpkin? I was going for the L on one side, Ryuzaki on the other approack for my Death Note pumpkin.

Sure, that sounds really cool!
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:22 am Reply with quote
Looking at last year's pumpkins, I think the winner was justified. They did do a great deal of work even though it might not be as skilled as some of the others.

Do you think there could be a few Pumpkin Scissors pumpkins? I was considering doing one this year of the Corperal (with glowing scar) but I didn't want to have to explain it to everyone. (And I'm busy this year so I won't have the time.) I'm going to do a more original one so I won't be taking part in the contest, but I'll put pictures on my website (www.geocities.com/writerpatrick).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4