• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Ode to Nodame

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:37 am Reply with quote
The frontpage link to this column is incorrect. It goes to column ID 40 and not 41.

Yay, new Dramacon. Now maybe I'll actually read the 1st. ^^; (The premise fascinates me, so I tend to like it automatically)
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:41 am Reply with quote
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories: I didn't find Sora's story in the game very exciting either. It was basically just a lot of pointless world jumping with a little story thrown in. Riku's story was much better, since it had a lot to tie into KH2. I'd reccomend this to people who didn't have a GBA to buy the game.

As for Dramacon, I thought the first volume was much better, though I didn't find this one completely bad. The Matt relationship could have been more front and center. It felt like a set up volume for the 3rd and final book in the series. I loved the first one so much because it really felt like an anime convention, especially the melancholy feeling of the last day. I liked some of the dialouge in the second volume ("Okay, there was, like, a novel between the lines just now" still makes me smile a bit) but there was just a little too much going on. Of any comic to utilize the manga artstyle, I think this one was the most deserving of using it. It was also a bit jarring that Bethany was drawn in a slightly different artstyle when the asian characters were drawn more or less the same as the caucasian characters (not to mention the "She's not even white" line came out of nowhere). It's not like this one was bad, it's that the first was was loads better and this one had a lot to live up to. Hopefully the final volume (released in one year from now) will bring everything to a satisfying end.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:02 am Reply with quote
I'd probably give Kirihito a B-. I'm not easily offended, but it felt like the shock value was just included to separate Tezuka from his Astroboy roots, since those dead babies are inserted randomnly throughout the story. Plus the spoiler[rapes] get old quick, too. And as I pointed out in another thread, it's kind of weird for Tezuka to be preaching tolerance, while depicting only a negative side of a certain island nation. The artwork's ok, but seriously reeks of the time period, which means you'd have to have been there to appreciate it. (It might help if you're into Robert Crumb comics, though, since that's who the characters most resemble.) The "happy" ending also seems sort of tacked on, and not really where the story was headed. I'll be honest and say I like Blackjack better. To tell the truth, I'm even considering just donating the book to my local library.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:48 am Reply with quote
Ooh, so the Nodame Cantabile dorama's good? (Endou Yuuya's in it X3.)

Hm, I was pretty excited for Dramacon 2.0, but what's Dramacon without the drama? Also, I know Patachu's Wapanophile-hate is certainly justifiable, but I'm not particularly drawn to a book full of purist-bashing, if that's what this volume's mostly about. I mean, it certainly doesn't accomplish anything, and even though I'm not an OEL-basher, I feel a little... offended? Well, I'm buying and reading and going to enjoy at any rate.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:14 am Reply with quote
I was thinking of picking up the DramaCon books. maybe your review has helped the effort.

As for Kingdom hearts...I enjoyed the game a lot. The frist books were good and I hadn't gotten around to picking up this one. I'm sad it got such a bad review.

Hopefully I can get it and see for myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:29 am Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
Also, I know Patachu's Wapanophile-hate is certainly justifiable, but I'm not particularly drawn to a book full of purist-bashing, if that's what this volume's mostly about. I mean, it certainly doesn't accomplish anything, and even though I'm not an OEL-basher, I feel a little... offended? Well, I'm buying and reading and going to enjoy at any rate.

I wouldn't say it was "mostly" about purist bashing -- that was only, like, 7 pages at most ...To me, the central theme was: "The TRUTH!! about being a Famouse Comick Artiste." Which is good stuff if you follow that side of the arts, like, on the Pseudome forums or something *coughcough* but could be kinda technical for Random Reader X.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
How come the "World Manga of the Week" doesn't get rated?
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I am thrilled that Nodame Cantabile always manages to make an appearance in RTO. I'm sure with each review Nodame's readership grows (if just a little), and this is definitely a good thing. Smile
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, that girl sure look Nodame to me for some reason.

Good work, TV producers!

And Dramacon does look interesting. Is it indeed a notch above most other OEL stuff?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Tom Spurgeon described Kirihito's appeal as being like a Sam Fuller film, and I have to agree. It has all the moral and philosophical themes Tezuka's known for, and as expected those work well, but the pure depravity of it was what really drew me in. Some of the best cartooning I've seen from him as well. As expected it's getting tons of enthusiastic reviews around the web, so I'd say Vertical has another Eisner/Harvey in the bag unless Last Gasp can promote the hell out of "Town of the Evening Calm," which I doubt.
Dramacon was one of the few OEL titles that I felt was note-worthy despite the somewhat risky topic (I certainly didn't think I'd enjoy a book about an anime convention), and I'm suprised to hear some diserning opinions on the second volume. I'll try to pick it up soon to see if the direction she went works.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With Nodame and Chiaki spending most of their time apart, the sparks of comedy and romance between them are markedly absent.

That's arguably the most enjoyable part of Nodame Cantabile, aside from the musical elements and the other comical characters! Bah, you know what I mean.

And Ode to Kirihito continues to be pounced upon with more praise. Got the book this past weekend, and damn, people aren't joking about its size. For me, it's almost intimidating as the complete Bones collection. Despite that I'll find a way to get around to it eventually, though certainly not in one reading.

Kagemusha wrote:
As expected it's getting tons of enthusiastic reviews around the web, so I'd say Vertical has another Eisner/Harvey in the bag unless Last Gasp can promote the hell out of "Town of the Evening Calm," which I doubt.

Come to think of it, has Barefoot Gen won any awards over here under Last Gasp?
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

And Ode to Kirihito continues to be pounced upon with more praise. Got the book this past weekend, and damn, people aren't joking about its size. For me, it's almost intimidating as the complete Bones collection. Despite that I'll find a way to get around to it eventually, though certainly not in one reading.

At least it's possible to hold Kirihito without straining a muscle.

Quote:

Come to think of it, has Barefoot Gen won any awards over here under Last Gasp?

It got alot of attention due to being associated with the film and got nominated for an Eisner one year because of that attention (as well as Art Spiegelman's endorsement), but couldn't hope to compete with Vertical's publicity machine (keep in mind it had ALREADY won the award the previous year). Last Gasp is an obscure publisher as they come, so I doubt that TotEC will end up being nominated since it lacks the reputation that BG had.
Peter Ahlstrom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the Aladdin arc that swipes entire scenes from the original movie

What I liked about the Aladdin part of the Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories manga vol. 1 was that it was so different from the movie, and the game, and the first game, and the version in the first Kingdom Hearts manga series. I thought it was hiliarious to see Sora, Donald, and Goofy spoiler[trying to convince Jafar they were the genies of the lamp].

But then volume 2 doesn't have any rehashes of Disney world filler, instead just sticking to the main plot of the internal Castle Oblivion power struggle, and I think it comes off much better.
shinigamicandy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I dunno if anybody's said this about Air Gear yet, but, uh, Simca's last name ISN'T Noyamano. In fact, throughout the entire series she isn't even given a last name -- at least, not as far as I'm concerned.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
At least it's possible to hold Kirihito without straining a muscle.

Excellence comes with a price [tag], after all.

Quote:
It got alot of attention due to being associated with the film and got nominated for an Eisner one year because of that attention (as well as Art Spiegelman's endorsement), but couldn't hope to compete with Vertical's publicity machine (keep in mind it had ALREADY won the award the previous year). Last Gasp is an obscure publisher as they come, so I doubt that TotEC will end up being nominated since it lacks the reputation that BG had.

Buddha stealing the show two years in a row... yikes. Eh, well, I guess I can't really expect something like Barefoot Gen to actually win an award, let alone Abandon the Old in Tokyo. By any luck Drawn and Quarterly might draw some attention to the next collection of Tatsumi's stories (possibly the last?) next year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2