• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto GN 8-10

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:26 am Reply with quote
What I want to know is, why is Naruto holding a sword on the cover? Having seen the anime version of these episodes, I don't recall any sword.

Maybe they're following the American tradition of showing things on the cover that didn't actually happen?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
Maybe they're following the American tradition of showing things on the cover that didn't actually happen?

Lot's of manga, in their original Japanese releases, feature covers that have little or nothing to do with the story content.

Good examples include Dragonball, GTO, Kodocha and Yotsubato. Dragonball is the most notable example that I can think of because the covers feature very distinct "stories" that never occur in the manga. In most other cases, the covers aren't quite as far out there and just involve some minor occurence that was never covered, but could have. Three main characters posing at a swimming pool, or in particular clothing, etc... The Naruto cover is somewhere in the middle, there's no "event" taking place on the cover, but he is being featured with equipment you wouldn't normally see him using.

When making cover / poster / promo art, many artists imaging a story to go with the image and they draw a piece of that story. This makes the art more interesting.

A significant portion of the art in Shirow's Intron Depot artbooks is this type of art. The nice thing about Intron Depot is that Shirow often give some info about the story he was imagining...

-t
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:34 am Reply with quote
Well certainly one could argue that any cover is depicting something that doesn't take place if they're even posing in a way that they didn't pose in the story. Does that sentence make sense?

But it's another level entirely to depict Naruto with a sword that never even appears in the story.

It reminds me of a cover for an issue of the Flash comic where Aquaman appears inside. The cover announces that they're going to RACE! The Flash is seen sprinting away from the starting line, but Aquaman is standing still with arms crossed, saying something like, "Yeah, right!" A great way to poke fun at misleading comic covers.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:58 pm Reply with quote
This is a post directed at Carl Kimlinger: What exactly is your criteria for giving Naruto an art rating of B+? Are you comparing the art to various other styles you have seen in the past, or are you contrasting the art with earlier Naruto volumes? Perhaps this rating is merely a representation of what you "feel" is an excellent rating for "good" art...?

I question this because it seems apparent that outside of formal advertising agreements, ANN has become a marketing machine geared at promoting Naruto as "quality manga" under the guise of an "honest opinion". Undoubtedly, you are featuring material that is salient to the interests of a huge number of anime fans, but be mindful of the ramifications of rating Naruto highly, since those who dislike the series compare the "good" ratings the series to those of other manga; if one has a low perception of Naruto and reads a "high rating" from a website that is promoting the illusion of impartiality, said website's credibility is reduced.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
This is a post directed at Carl Kimlinger: What exactly is your criteria for giving Naruto an art rating of B+?

<snip>

I question this because it seems apparent that outside of formal advertising agreements, ANN has become a marketing machine geared at promoting Naruto as "quality manga" under the guise of an "honest opinion".

I can't answer the first part for Carl, but I would like to point out that he does make several positive comments about the art in the review. I would interpret these as his criteria for giving the art the rating that he gave it.

In regards to your second question....

Viz hasn't spent a cent advertising on ANN in years. Why the hell would we market their product for them? And why would we do something to hurt our credibility in such a way?

In addition to your question/pseudo complaint, we're probably going to get complaints that we're bad reviewers because we didn't give Naruto a high enough score.

If one has a different perception of a product that we review, one should accept that they have a different opinion than our reviewer. Nothing more.

I frequently disagree with our reviewers, and if there's anyone who is in a position to have reviews tailored to his own opinion, it's me. But I don't tell them they're wrong, because they aren't. They merely have differing opinions than my own, and as long as they explain their opinions (which Carl did), then they have done their jobs as reviewers. I expect no more, and no less from ANN's reviewers.

You're right, we do try to feature material that is salient to our readers, but if you look at our track record, we have many more reviews of small franchises than we do of "big" franchises like Naruto, Gundam, DBZ, etc. This is our first ever review of the Naruto manga, one might argue that, for such a huge property, we really are failing to properly cover it, but I don't see how anyone could argue that we are covering it unnecessarily (something you hint at but do not say directly).

I hope this answers your questions / concerns.

-t
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:32 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
I question this because it seems apparent that outside of formal advertising agreements, ANN has become a marketing machine geared at promoting Naruto as "quality manga" under the guise of an "honest opinion". Undoubtedly, you are featuring material that is salient to the interests of a huge number of anime fans, but be mindful of the ramifications of rating Naruto highly, since those who dislike the series compare the "good" ratings the series to those of other manga; if one has a low perception of Naruto and reads a "high rating" from a website that is promoting the illusion of impartiality, said website's credibility is reduced.
I really really hate this very annoying and hostile emoticon, but here you go: Rolling Eyes

You disagree with the reviewer, get over it. Dispute the points, not the credibility; don't just start calling entire websites propaganda tools just because you don't like what they say.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:53 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

I hope this answers your questions / concerns.

-t

I'd say you pwnd him, if I wanted to indulge in Net-speak.

Certainly he's in no place to be making such a ridiculous claim against the site with so little to back it up. The fans in the forums do more promotion of Naruto by far than the reviewers could ever do, although one can actually be turned off by too much of that.

I like how some reviewers spend time on lesser-known properties. I'd like to see Newtype USA do more of that. If one wants to point fingers at reviewers for promoting one company's licenses, they could more easily do so with that magazine, since it's owned by ADV. I haven't sensed a lack of coverage on their part of non-ADV titles, so I'm not implying anything, but man, Terex, give these guys a break.
kolibri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
What I want to know is, why is Naruto holding a sword on the cover? Having seen the anime version of these episodes, I don't recall any sword.

Kishimoto loves to draw weapons, and in most of his art drawings the characters are wielding different weapons. It's just a pretty picture, that's all there is to it.

Malintex Terek wrote:
This is a post directed at Carl Kimlinger: What exactly is your criteria for giving Naruto an art rating of B+? Are you comparing the art to various other styles you have seen in the past, or are you contrasting the art with earlier Naruto volumes? Perhaps this rating is merely a representation of what you "feel" is an excellent rating for "good" art...?

I thought that's what reviewing is all about, a personal opinion? IMHO B+ is an accurate rating for Kishimoto's standard style, although I personally would give his writing more than a B Smile
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I liked the review! I have to agree, Rock Lee's fight was my favorite, although I never saw it in the anime. Lee is the only character in Naruto I care about enoguh to read the chapters/watch the episodes he's featured in, and this fight is why. Plus, I love his weird character design!

Which is the exact volume with Lee's fight? I'm not a huge Naruto fan and I don't want ot buy hte entire series, but I would like to buy the volume with Lee's fight.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote
which Lee fight? the one with Gaara at the end of the second season or his awesome fight with.....the bone guy,cant remember name, which was cool too, which was in the fifth season
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:10 pm Reply with quote
The fight with Gaara is the one in this volume. I have no clue about the other one you're talking about though.
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote
well his fight with......KIMIMARU!!!! remembered now was awesome because Lee was drunk
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:46 am Reply with quote
I can't believe the time that take Viz to release each volume, I remember getting volume 8 in late 2005 and they've managed to release only four volumes since?

Anyway, the volumes that the review covered contain some of the best chapters in the series until Sasuke retrieval arc, though I agree that the pattern of some fights were kinda similar and we don't get to see Ten-Ten's fight with Temari, it seems to me that Kishimotto doesn't care that much about her since she's the least developed rookie nin with the least page-time so far in the manga.
Strephon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Raven Shinobi wrote:
I can't believe the time that take Viz to release each volume, I remember getting volume 8 in late 2005 and they've managed to release only four volumes since?

That's not all that slow; if you look at the release schedule in the Encyclopedia, there's a year between the release dates of volume 8 and volume 12--while the Japanese release took a year between volumes 8 and 13. Considering that the US serial release is in a monthly magazine, not a weekly (they run more than one chapter a month, but not as many as would run in the equivalent length of time in Japan), once every three months is a pretty decent release schedule. (They could probably release it more quickly if they weren't serializing it, but using it as an anchor in the US Shonen Jump gives them a lot of promotional opportunities for series with less exposure.)
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:

That's not all that slow; if you look at the release schedule in the Encyclopedia, there's a year between the release dates of volume 8 and volume 12--while the Japanese release took a year between volumes 8 and 13. Considering that the US serial release is in a monthly magazine, not a weekly (they run more than one chapter a month, but not as many as would run in the equivalent length of time in Japan), once every three months is a pretty decent release schedule. (They could probably release it more quickly if they weren't serializing it, but using it as an anchor in the US Shonen Jump gives them a lot of promotional opportunities for series with less exposure.)

Compared with Death Note that has only two months gap between each release, the Naruto manga is sure being released in an agonizingly slow pace, but I totally forgot about the series being serialized in Shounen Jump. It's still a long way for the English version to catch up with the Japanese or even the French one.

I'm glad that there are sites out there where you can download the latest translated chapters Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2