• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blue Dragon to be Adapted into Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Too bad Toriyama isn't drawing it.
TcDohl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I wonder what this is going to do to Xbox 360 sales in Japan...

No, seriously. Stop laughing.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if Toriyama's as big as he used to be over there. Sure, DBZ and DQ merchandise still sells, but that's not necessarily
because of him. Anyway, I hope they publish the manga here, so I don't have to be waste money on the system. Unless it's one of those spin-offs like the Onimusha manga...
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quote
TcDohl wrote:

Last time I heard it was attracting huge lines at gaming conventions in Japan. http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/osaka-games-festa-blue-dragongow-draw-crowds-ashcraft-passes-out-214237.php
halochief_90

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:09 pm Reply with quote
So does a manga mean that there might be some actual story in the game, unlike its obvious mentor, Dragon Quest?

RezSav wrote:
TcDohl wrote:

Last time I heard it was attracting huge lines at gaming conventions in Japan. http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/osaka-games-festa-blue-dragongow-draw-crowds-ashcraft-passes-out-214237.php
Apparently, pre-orders for the game are through the roof too; Japan just may give the system a shot!
Ariolander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh yea Blue Dragon & DOA are really improving Xbox penetration in Japan.

Wanna laugh about anything laugh at the 0.93 games per console sold at launch for PS3. Less than one game per console -_-;; and the super slim japanese 86,600 launch alocation
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jmanunknown

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:49 am Reply with quote
Ariolander wrote:
Oh yea Blue Dragon & DOA are really improving Xbox penetration in Japan.

Wanna laugh about anything laugh at the 0.93 games per console sold at launch for PS3. Less than one game per console -_-;; and the super slim japanese 86,600 launch alocation

Blue Dragon does seem to be interesting japanese RPG fans but, can microsoft keep the buzz about the 360 in japan that they have created with Blue Dragon? Only time will tell.

That was a funny thing about the PS3 and the number of games sold compared to the number of consoles sold but, i've got something that will really make you laugh i'm not sure if its still the case but, a month ago the Gamecube was outselling the Xbox 360 for the entire year. Also i'm pretty sure both the Wii and the PS3 will be surpassing the Xbox 360 in total consoles sold in japan by the end of the year in fact the PS3 is over half way to that point and the Xbox 360 had a year head start.
subaru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'm not sure if Toriyama's as big as he used to be over there. Sure, DBZ and DQ merchandise still sells, but that's not necessarily
because of him.

He is still big. With Dr Slump and DB under his belt, people won't forget him that easily. As I remember... correct me if I'm wrong..... he was still on the top 10 of the most earning manga-ka list last year. Wondering what he has been up to though. He hasn't really got any long series after DBZ. It would be good if he draw the Blue Dragon manga himself.
NegativeZero

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:00 am Reply with quote
halochief_90 wrote:
So does a manga mean that there might be some actual story in the game, unlike its obvious mentor, Dragon Quest?

While it may look like Dragon Quest, the similarities are likely to end there. In terms of the character design and the staff working on it, if there is any lineage that Blue Dragon is part of, it's Chrono Trigger. And coincidentally, that happens to be the last game that Hironobu Sakaguchi wrote before this one (he was producer for Final Fantasy VII - X).

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. If they're producing an anime series to go along with it, and they're planning a sequel, then they must be reasonably confident that it will have a decent amount of penetration in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1