• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Delinquent Schoolboys, Blossoming Schoolgirls

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:01 am Reply with quote
Funny you should bring up Maria-Sama and Cromartie in the same column, since the former manga was spoofed in the latter anime adaptation.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The summer trip in the last chapter, however, suggests better things to come in Volume 8. Hopefully.

If I'm not mistaken, volume 8 is the last volume (though I think Del Rey is making a volume 9 with just a bunch of extra stuff in it). I can't say whether or not it will be better (to you), but I wouldn't expect it to be like the early volumes. I'm guessing it will continue more or less the same way this volume and the last one have been.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:35 am Reply with quote
Victorian Romance Emma was spotlighted, HURRAH! Oh, frabjuous day. Very Happy

And a very fair review it was too -- I can see how, if you aren't transfixed by a Jane Austen-esque story and pacing, one could be a bit bored and wish it move a bit faster (or be more conventionally exciting). But the way the romance unfolds, the delightful characters, and most especially the remarkable Britishness of Emma make it one of the most unique and compelling manga out now, and I am THRILLED it got a mention here. I still wish it was being published by a different company, but all that matters is that it's here and available for American consuption. Let's just hope the trend for understated, mature titles continues, and we'll see more things like this and Mushishi (january can't come soon enough) in the future. Someone license Honey and Clover already! *grins*

Nice to see (in)famous Marmite highlighted as well. Wink
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
i think I want to pick up Queens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:13 pm Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken, the printed paper on Emma is an INTENTIONAL choice that goes straight back to the Japanese release (Which I've personally flipped through). The material is meant to feel like 19th century printing paper or something like that. Not the best stuff in the world for people who just want to pick up and read the manga, but this time, CMX is doing the "right thing," and as an Emma fan, the release is more than satisfactory. Not trying to be hard about a little detail, but it should be noted for all those people being fidgety about buying it and looking for that ONE little excuse not to (And then moaning out the other side of their mouth about how we can never have nice things).
bennyb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Hey finally some Cromartie love! Good job rating it, I think it's flaws are obviously the fact that it's "shaggy dog approach" sometimes is overdone and fails to be incredibly funny, and yea the 4 great ones are least funny.

However being a huge Takenuchi (masked and unmasked) fan I cannot wait to pick this volume up, most likely tomorrow. Hooray for gag manga!!!
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm suprised that Emma wasn't rated higher, however having just re-read the first volume I agree wholeheartedly with the rating (I was a while since I read it). Good to see Love Roma getting, well, love. It still inexplicably manages to warm my bitter soul.
johnny3d

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:31 am Reply with quote
I want to thank Carlos for giving Victorian Romance Emma a fair and objective review. I agree with Neverwhere in that when I saw Emma on the list, I thought "Oh well, at least it is being reviewed." This story is a welcomed relief from the majority of fun but light series these days and I hope that publishers continue to bring more variety of stories to us fans. Now, if only someone would licence the anime....

Johnny3D
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Henry Jones wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the printed paper on Emma is an INTENTIONAL choice that goes straight back to the Japanese release (Which I've personally flipped through). The material is meant to feel like 19th century printing paper or something like that. Not the best stuff in the world for people who just want to pick up and read the manga, but this time, CMX is doing the "right thing," and as an Emma fan, the release is more than satisfactory. Not trying to be hard about a little detail, but it should be noted for all those people being fidgety about buying it and looking for that ONE little excuse not to (And then moaning out the other side of their mouth about how we can never have nice things).

So I suppose Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Oyayubihime Infinity, Omukae Desu, Testarotho, Densha Otoko, etc. etc. are going for the "19th-century feel" as well?

I don't mean to pick on Emma specifically, and I normally don't even grade production quality in the column, but I've been through enough of CMX's releases now that I think it's time we called them out on their crappy paper. It's not like the company is two guys and a dog operating out of a garage; they're part of one of the biggest entertainment companies in the world and should at least be at the standard of other competitors, not being ... like .... Wal-Manga or something.

But from their previous history I guess it would be too much to expect CMX to do anything other than half-ass their way through their publishing practices.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
Henry Jones wrote:

So I suppose Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Oyayubihime Infinity, Omukae Desu, Testarotho, Densha Otoko, etc. etc. are going for the "19th-century feel" as well?

I don't mean to pick on Emma specifically, and I normally don't even grade production quality in the column, but I've been through enough of CMX's releases now that I think it's time we called them out on their crappy paper. It's not like the company is two guys and a dog operating out of a garage; they're part of one of the biggest entertainment companies in the world and should at least be at the standard of other competitors, not being ... like .... Wal-Manga or something.

But from their previous history I guess it would be too much to expect CMX to do anything other than half-ass their way through their publishing practices.

While that's probably true (And you know MUCH MORE about the big picture of this than I do), I'm just saying you picked the wrong manga to use as an example. *shrugs* It happens.
Kamon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Henry Jones wrote:
you picked the wrong manga to use as an example.

So it would have been ok if he picked a manga you didn't like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, this cinches it: I'm going to finally check out Cromartie High School. It's a fairly consistent release by ADV, and since it's last volume (the eighteenth, I believe) was finished this past year, it will be a comedy title that doesn't overstay its welcome.

I've yet to read the fourth volume of Love Roma, but I'm looking forward to it. As for Emma and Genshiken, I did enjoy them more than the grade you game them, Carlos. Maybe it's just because I've become more... "carefree," if you will, when it comes to manga and anime recently. Of course, I rated Emma to be "Excellent" after reading one volume, since I have a weakness for stories that have a likeness to those old classic European novels of the 19th century (I can relate to Kaoru Mori, in an odd way).
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quote
Emma

Carlos wrote:
it's not as wordy as Dickens
But Dickens was closer to what it was really like to live in Olde England during that time.

I'll be looking forward to this one as well. I know I'll be biased here, but I don't care. If it gets licensed, the English dub should be done here in England. You know it makes sense. Wink
wihowife

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:58 am Reply with quote
I'm also glad that Cromartie's been reviewed Very Happy .It's a great manga,but sadly I don't think many people are reading it.(Someday I hope to see Jojo manga reviews on ANN as well!j/k,but it would still be great Anime hyper)
And yeah..the Marimite spoof in the anime was really funny.Female Freddy lol
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:07 am Reply with quote
wiho: Actually, the screening for the Cro movie at AX was packed. With girls, too. In fact, it seems to be doing better than other youth manga like Tough and Worst.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1