• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akira! explanation Please.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zath

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I just finished it it may have been i was rushing the ending, that or im just an idiot. Could somone just give a quick summary of what happend at the end there.
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, it has been a while since I have seen it, but basically in the end, as I am sure you saw spoiler[ Tetsuo kinda burst out into a big load of messness and they had to blow him up with the special space lazers (kinda exaggerating here, but thats the gist of what actually happens,) I guess you are meant to view it as symbolising the corrupting nature of power and the way that the world is not ready to cope with the power of Akira.

It also has a sort of theme of public hysteria building up into being something unmanageable - kind of like the nature of paranoia in Paranoia Agent. It is the manifestation of peoples communal worries. Tetsuo is driven by power and jealousy which leads to the end of him as well - I think that this is part of it as well.

It is basically symbolic of several things, and those things depend on your interpretation of it.

You could also see it just as a dramatic finale to the film. Everything goes a bit tits up as the whole world 'bursts'. The idea of humanity leading to its own semi destruction through the desire to control the ultimate power of 'Akira' has a lot of various undertones.

The big bulging person ending is a reasonably often used ending in anime, although I'm not entirely sure quite why... Something to do with a build up of internal pressures (psychological or physical...) which then exhibit themselves in a fairly graphic way.

There is more to it than that, but I think you are left to make of it what you will. I'm also mildly inebritated and haven't watched Akira for a good couple of years.

Sometimes when anime ends like that it is a case of 'make of it what you will,' although if you totally don't get it then maybe you missed something. Well, I'm sure I could have put it better, but thats what I've got for tonight...]

Edit: I just remembered all that jazz about spoiler[ Akira and Tetsuo ending up in big balls of light and everything ] That put a slightly different twist on it from what I said, but I think a lot of the themes I mentioned stay the same - spoiler[ it is about people messing with nature, and how nature is beyond our control and will somehow reassert itself. It is an allusion to the mystical parts of the world. But also, with the big ball of light, I would say that is Akira and his universe/world destroying (although unintentionally) capabilities.]

Also, it would be helpful if you said which parts you actually had problems with understanding, because as I write, the more I realise that, unless I explain the whole plot, (or rather, my confuse twist on it,) it is rather a task to attempt to explain the whole story succinctly.

1.) What did you expect?
2.) What was your twist on the ending?

Both seem to be good questions to me...
This seems waaaay too long a post considering that I haven't watched it for about 5 years, so my memory of it is rusty at best, I think I will just shut up for now.

Last edited by unhealthyman on Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Also Wikipedia is actually really helpful as well if you are still interested.

There is a lot to say about it if you are interested and open minded enough. I am generally happy to accept a lot of what happens based on minimal and entirely subjective interpretation, but perhaps I am just lazy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1