• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paprika Screening in LA This Week

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quote
If I can somehow manage to get tickets I am so going......I don't care about the drive I really want to see this movie that all I care about. And also good new now that it can at least contend for the academy awards, always good to have some sort of anime be eligible for an Oscar.

Delta

Quick Edit: Tickets can be bought by clicking on the start time, you can't click on the actually Paprika title or search for it.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
If I can somehow manage to get tickets I am so going......I don't care about the drive I really want to see this movie that all I care about. And also good new now that it can at least contend for the academy awards, always good to have some sort of anime be eligible for an Oscar.

Delta

If only I lived somewhere near this. Why do they do everything in California?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Delta: You should care about the drive, or you'll be stuck on the bus like me. Evil or Very Mad Laughing

Pro-tip: The theater's a hole in the ground next to the hotel.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Is anyone interested in organizing a meetup?

Or rather, a completely informal 'I'll be there on saturday how 'bout you' sort of gathering. Because organization requires effort. And who wants that? Wink

Even though the cinema's a bit of a dump, hopefully it'll be one with character and charm. I know Laemmle also own the Lido, and I like that theatre a lot. Smile
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Delta: You should care about the drive, or you'll be stuck on the bus like me. Evil or Very Mad Laughing

The BUS! Scary.....I went on a bus ride once to work and had to take the late bus home, worse ride of my entire life. I am so glad I have a vehicle that works, because my sister has to deal with the same problem (sort of) but in San Diego.

britannicamoore wrote:
If only I lived somewhere near this. Why do they do everything in California?!

Because in order to be eligible for an Academy Award the film must air in LA or New York for a certain amount of time. This is the way that this happens, don't forget this is only for 6 days, I hope Paprika gets a bigger release later on.

Neverwhere wrote:
Is anyone interested in organizing a meetup?

Or rather, a completely informal 'I'll be there on saturday how 'bout you' sort of gathering. Because organization requires effort. And who wants that?

If your going to the showing on Thanksgiving then I am down to meet some folks from ANN. However I think I am going to be the only person there, (other then my GF who getting dragged into this) basically it's the only day I can go. Wednesday I am going to get my Dentist and then Friday is Black Friday (I work retail car sales) and I haven't had a Saturday or Sunday off in a long long time.

Delta

P.S. I hope to see some of you there, drop me a message if your going to be going.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I would have loved to join you on thanksgiving (and meet other ANN people!) but alas, I must work. Stupid retail. Sad

I assume I'll be going on saturday, as I work every other morning (why couldn't it be in the evening? 10am is so inconvient) and I actually do have saturday off, for the first time in months. Yay.

Have fun on thursday Delta! Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
If y'all miss it, I'm assuming it's gonna be playing at better times and locations in March.
SatsumaPotato

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I have a question for those who are going...

Where are you planning to park?
The place they recommend is is $6.50 in the morning (I'm not sure about Thanksgiving Day though).
That's as much as the movie ticket!

Any help would be nice. Thank you in advance.

Sat
coolGAL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Danmit if only I lived in California oh well i can always dream.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote
SatsumaPotato wrote:
I have a question for those who are going...

Where are you planning to park?
The place they recommend is is $6.50 in the morning (I'm not sure about Thanksgiving Day though).
That's as much as the movie ticket!

Any help would be nice. Thank you in advance.

Sat

More then likely I am going to be at the mercy of the parking which god knows how much that might be on thanksgiving you think it's possible that parking could be free for thanksgiving.....I think not. So basically I am going to park at the parking place that is available to me, I am not getting a ticket or a tow......that's would really break the bank.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote
This is in downtown LA, right? Is there a Metro stop nearby? (Ahahaha I know, everyone forgets we have a subway. Except when watching the cheestastic film Volcano. *smirk*)

If there's a stop close by that would only be $2 for entire trip, instead paying for parking and petrol. Not bad, ne? Smile
musashi1600

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
To all Los Angeles anime fans:

As someone who has already seen Paprika (at the Hawaii International Film Festival last month), I have the following advice to give:

• If you have seen any of Satoshi Kon's work, you owe it to yourself to see more. He will not disappoint. (Unlike a certain other high-profile anime director who had a movie come out last year. *coughhowlsmovingcastlecough*) Wink

• If you know who Satoshi Kon is, but have never seen his work, you owe it to yourself to get started.

• If you have no idea who the heck Satoshi Kon is, you owe it to yourself to watch this movie and find out.

• If you dislike or outright hate anything directed by Satoshi Kon to date, you owe it to yourself to get a better taste in anime.

• (I'm kidding about that last one, BTW.) Laughing Wink

(I also relay a bit of advice from the director himself: Don't try to analyze what you're watching while you're still in the theater. Doing so will only ruin the experience.)
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I am so fighting the urge to fly to LA for this.

musashi1600 wrote:
[list=2][*]If you dislike or outright hate anything directed by Satoshi Kon to date, you owe it to yourself to get a better taste in anime.

[*](I'm kidding about that last one, BTW.) Laughing Wink[/list]

I would say that without the joke disclaimer. Heck, I'd even remove the "in anime" from the sentence.

One additional piece of advice: The big "official" website is up (in Japanese), linked off the Sony Pictures JP website in the encyclopedia. RESIST THE URGE TO VISIT UNTIL AFTER YOU SEE IT. It has, looping in the background, the highly intoxicating main theme song from Susumu Hirasawa. Hearing it beforehand will remove some of its impact. And it's a BIG impact. You will want this after the movie, if only to relive it.

BTW, the website referenced in the film does exist, but if you visit you'll get an error message (in Japanese) that the site requires the use of a DC Mini. Very Happy

Enjoy, and I can't wait to see more opinions on this film.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote
jsevaki wrote:
Enjoy, and I can't wait to see more opinions on this film.

After reading the review, this was my goal to see this movie before years end. All I can say I hope it doesn't disappoint, because getting up at 8:00 in the morning on a day that I would sleep in is a very valuable thing to me......don't let me down Paprika.....like everything else this year....well I take that back what I have seen in the theaters (Live-Action) has been pretty good actually.

Delta
mhoram

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:41 am Reply with quote
musashi1600 wrote:

(I also relay a bit of advice from the director himself: Don't try to analyze what you're watching while you're still in the theater. Doing so will only ruin the experience.)

As someone who was lucky enough to catch this at the Chicago Film Festival about a month ago, I agree wholeheartedly with this advice.

I'm extraordinarily wary of divulging an opinion. To be honest I feel that any attempt to describe it would fail miserably for a number of reasons. Its most tangible strengths are so general (the art, the creativity, etc) that to talk about them would betray the intangible strengths that only good art possesses.

Here's all I can say - I'm not someone to watch anime over and over again in order to understand it better (not even with Evangelion) but I will definitely see Paprika again as soon as reasonably possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4